Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Experience

1 hour ago, timjwilson said:

I get so tired of foreigners describing the 'Mexican' people. ('they' are so; this and that) They are all different just like all over the world.

Of course societies are made up of  inddividuals who do not fit into some sterotyped mold.

But to pretend like there are not general cultural differences between nationalities is silly and I think it leads to less understanding and acceptance of others rather than more.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Just a heads up, as here is the main reason for the show. I am less than 10 years to retirement, the last 5 years have had me wondering what retirement even going to be like or if it was even possible. To say it kept me up nights would be an understatement. everyone that I spoke with back home had the same concerns, as retirement in Canada is a problem for a lot of people. 

I got lucky in that I am married to a Mexican woman, before this I had no idea what Mexico was like and that life here was so affordable. Since getting here, my biggest worry is now gone, as retiring in Canada with my income was at best, a string of compromises, at worst, wishful thinking.

Mexico has given my a chance to not only retire in comfort, but also lead a life I wanted and to travel more. Plus I can even retire early. As I have already entered into what can be considered semiretirement. 

People in Canada (maybe in the US) are desperate for retirement options and if I can show them that Mexico can solve a lot of their concerns, then why not. It is a solution that works for me and will work for a lot of other people. 

This is my audience, I think I can share my experiences, show them what life here is like and what they can expect if they decide its the right solution for them. 

This is the main premise of the show and it will appeal to thousands if not millions, as it will give them an understanding of what it will be like to retire here. Many may choose it, many wont, but a lot will watch. Which is the very reason people make videos.

So you did view the multitude of Youtube videos doing just that?

Exactly. I get so tired of foreigners describing the 'Mexican' people. ('they' are so; this and that) They are all different just like all over the world.

It is very boring describing someone simply as different. What the hell is the difference? That is where describing Mexicans is interesting coming from experiences and perspectives from foreigners. Ethnic groups are "homogenious" in some ways because of many generations of living in the same or similar culture and soaking it up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Of course societies are made up of  inddividuals who do not fit into some sterotyped mold.

But to pretend like there are not general cultural differences between nationalities is silly and I think it leads to less understanding and acceptance of others rather than more.

Of course but are 'good natured' 'industrious' 'friendly' 'honest' cultural terms? To me these descriptions come from people who do not see the culture. I find these types of individuals everywhere along with dishonest, etc. One description I'd agree with is 'family oriented'.  

2 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

It is very boring describing someone simply as different. What the hell is the difference? That is where describing Mexicans is interesting coming from experiences and perspectives from foreigners. Ethnic groups are "homogenious" in some ways because of many generations of living in the same or similar culture and soaking it up. 

You misinterpreted my meaning. You may describe an individual as they are but their quality of character does not usually reflect their ethnicity. (as described better in my other post)

The time when 'gringo' becomes important is if I'm riding with my Mexican buddy and he pulls over to get a price on something, my white countenance sitting in the car jacks the price up.  

It has never happened to me in over 40 years in Mexico. Of course you might think it does but you could be mistaken. Common stereotypical urban legend I've heard a hundred times.

Once 16 years ago I paid for a rustic dining room set to be delivered that day and 1 hour later I saw one I wanted more somewhere else and returned to the store across the road for my cash and the salesman told me he was keeping $500.00 pesos out of almost $6,000 pesos. The young woman behind the counter, who took my cash, told him to shut up and gave me my money back. 

Ok, but several folks are trying to rain on his parade.  Some are terrified that a really good documentary director is going to promote this area and cause a wave of Northerners to invade this area.  Its not all about Ajijic, here in Chapala I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing more gringos supporting the local stores and local restaurants here.  Heck, maybe we will get better and more varied options to eat at here in Chapala.  And I'm sure the smaller towns wouldn't mind the extra gringo money supporting  their businesses as long as they try to integrate and shop locally.  It could benefit many Mexicans.  Think about the iron smiths, brick masons, plumbers, gardeners, maids etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

You misinterpreted my meaning. You may describe an individual as they are but their quality of character does not usually reflect their ethnicity. (as described better in my other post)

No I understood you. I disagree that is all. Ethnic groups have some distinctive similarities amongst themselves which is what this thread has evolved into discussing now. 

39 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

Of course but are 'good natured' 'industrious' 'friendly' 'honest' cultural terms?

No, I agree that they aren't. Those are individual character traits. By cultural I think of things like Germans being very straightforward and blunt, Japanese being quite polite, Mexicans being generally easy-going. 

Then there are cultural things like Mexicans tending to not show up on time, and not bothering to call to say they can't make it when they were scheduled to come (even Mexicans acknowledge that there is clock time and "Mexican time"). Although there are individuals who don't do that. But there are often cultural reasons for things like that, that if you understand them, makes it less irritating.

For instance, it occurred to me one day that because Mexicans traditionally have large families and multigenerations living in the same home, there is usually someone at home, it could just be grandma sitting in her chair by the front door for hours each day. So if the propane delivery guy is 4 hours or 2 days late showing up, it doesn't really matter- there's almost always someone home to let them in. 

They aren't accustomed to households where only one person lives, or a retired couple, who would get annoyed at waiting around all day when they have other things to do, only to have a delivery guy not show up.

28 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No, I agree that they aren't. Those are individual character traits. By cultural I think of things like Germans being very straightforward and blunt, Japanese being quite polite, Mexicans being generally easy-going. 

Then there are cultural things like Mexicans tending to not show up on time, and not bothering to call to say they can't make it when they were scheduled to come (even Mexicans acknowledge that there is clock time and "Mexican time"). Although there are individuals who don't do that. But there are often cultural reasons for things like that, that if you understand them, makes it less irritating.

For instance, it occurred to me one day that because Mexicans traditionally have large families and multigenerations living in the same home, there is usually someone at home, it could just be grandma sitting in her chair by the front door for hours each day. So if the propane delivery guy is 4 hours or 2 days late showing up, it doesn't really matter- there's almost always someone home to let them in. 

They aren't accustomed to households where only one person lives, or a retired couple, who would get annoyed at waiting around all day when they have other things to do, only to have a delivery guy not show up.

I was thinking the same thing (about there always being old folks at home) and wondering why the young guys knocking on my door are always in such a damn hurry for this old man to get there to see what they want. <grin>

So you did view the multitude of Youtube videos doing just that?

Yep, but this is where it will diverge from what's available, mainly the majority are just trying to sell something, or just make money in some way. I am not looking for fame or fortune or likes on youtube. The fact is I have been here for almost 2 years, most of my days had been under covid, so there has been a lot of doing nothing and I now realize for a person like me, doing nothing is the hardest thing I have ever done. So when I though, ok what the hell do I want to do with my time, this was suggested to me. First I thought, who the hell would watch it, but after watching a ton of videos on YouTube, Ok this does interest people. But The production value left a lot to be desired. The storylines are shallow and none go into great depth of what its actually like living here as an expat.

So I figured why not, I have the experience and the equipment and the time. It was either that or get sucked into working with a friend that wants to do construction, I think? not really sure as most of the time I was talking to him he was trying to convince me that $20,000 pesos a month is good money. I am sure it is, but didn't have the heart to tell him that even though I was bored, I wasn't that bored. 

Plus, I am not sure I want to get this show beholden to any financial interests as that heavily influences what the show becomes about. As the last show I did under the Bell Canada media umbrella was nothing but towing the company line and it sucked the life out of the project.

This will be my show where I am free to do what I want free from corporate interests. So if it works then great, if not, all good too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

Ah disregard Fred and no its not a local thing its only local thing in his imagination.  No such street or store exists.

Hmm. I was starting to wonder , So thanks, as I was curious to find out if it was a thing, but I am also pretty sure it was not something that would actually relate to what I am doing. 

But things are coming along nicely, I have found a host that is an American/Mexican that has a military background and does well on camera. 

Also I think I have a compromise for all those concerned about more Canadians coming, as I have been talking to a developer in the southern area of Guadalajara that is more than open to having people buy there houses. The area is modern and nice, so I will let the people on this site that are so against having new comers, explain why the owners of this site (which is a realty company)  dont need more Canadians buying their properties. Besides who would want free advertising anyway. Right? 

Also, I am changing up the filming schedule because the new host is not from the Chapala area and has limited time, so it will be a couple of months before we can get back. 

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

Ok, but several folks are trying to rain on his parade.  Some are terrified that a really good documentary director is going to promote this area and cause a wave of Northerners to invade this area.  Its not all about Ajijic, here in Chapala I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing more gringos supporting the local stores and local restaurants here.  Heck, maybe we will get better and more varied options to eat at here in Chapala.  And I'm sure the smaller towns wouldn't mind the extra gringo money supporting  their businesses as long as they try to integrate and shop locally.  It could benefit many Mexicans.  Think about the iron smiths, brick masons, plumbers, gardeners, maids etc.

This was the original intent and I thank you for seeing it as that, but yes, I have gotten so much negative feed back that I am working with other groups that are more receptive. I wanted to promote this area and give it much needed and free advertising as I am sure it would have help a lot of locals. But one cant help being discouraged as the only feed back is from those that see it as some kind of threat to themselves.

Here is the fact, if I go after advertising dollars and at some point I may if it does well enough, Those dollars will be coming from Canada and the US, as that where it will be shown. Plus if it goes on You Tube, They decide who the advertisers are. So who ever I feature will get free advertising. 

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

It upsets me greatly when an older person is the wait staff in a restaurant and a Mexican woman calls out "Joven" to get his attention for somethi

That is what people here say to call a waiter so be it. I call them joven too but then every one working is younger than me. Je je 

• Like 2

Alan Mexicali

It has never happened to me in over 40 years in Mexico. Of course you might think it does but you could be mistaken. Common stereotypical urban legend I've heard a hundred times.

You must be very special because it happens all the time. 

I have to buy construction material to do kilns.. So I negociate with various suppliers- then I ask a man from the family , the kiln is for to go and negociate the same thing and I can tell you that there are prices that you as a gringo or outsider. you will not get.

I buy a lot so my price is usually good but for example last year I negociated a price that was lower than the people in town told me I should pay. Then I sent an indigenous  mason  negociate and he got a price half a peso lower than I dit. on the bricks. I went back to the person who quoted him the price and told the brickmaker I would pay the lower price, he told me no way and turned down the order. I told him my friend from that village was quoted that price and I was told ," ah yes the people from that village get that price but people who are not from there get the higher price.¨¨. I can tell you this happens a whole lot more you would think.. Not in the stores but we artisans and independent contractors it happens all the time.

Two weeks ago I negociated the price afor a couple of vans. I then ask indigenous people to negociate the price , I was quoted 1500 pesos and they were quoted 1400.  Since I buy for the groups of the village I use my price to give the government for their estimates or budget and give the money to the village for their price. The difference goes for the extra stuff needed and equalize some prices.. Do not tell me there is no gringo or outsider  price.. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Northtek said:

I would like to think people are people regardless, but unfortunately I am overly nieve.  Truth is the best content is when you can speak from experience or simply stick with what you know. There is so much to the culture here and it is fascinating, but as far as a show goes, I am not sure people would care, as there are plenty of documentaries all ready and I am not familiar enough with the subject mater to speak on it.

Boy, are you right on this one, most people could care less how fascinating Mexico  is.. have no idea and no interest in it so it maybe why I just turn off whem  I see one of those expat video.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bmh said:

Alan Mexicali

You must be very special because it happens all the time. 

I have to buy construction material to do kilns.. So I negociate with various suppliers- then I ask a man from the family , the kiln is for to go and negociate the same thing and I can tell you that there are prices that you as a gringo or outsider. you will not get.

I buy a lot so my price is usually good but for example last year I negociated a price that was lower than the people in town told me I should pay. Then I sent an indigenous  mason  negociate and he got a price half a peso lower than I dit. on the bricks. I went back to the person who quoted him the price and told the brickmaker I would pay the lower price, he told me no way and turned down the order. I told him my friend from that village was quoted that price and I was told ," ah yes the people from that village get that price but people who are not from there get the higher price.¨¨. I can tell you this happens a whole lot more you would think.. Not in the stores but we artisans and independent contractors it happens all the time.

Two weeks ago I negociated the price afor a couple of vans. I then ask indigenous people to negociate the price , I was quoted 1500 pesos and they were quoted 1400.  Since I buy for the groups of the village I use my price to give the government for their estimates or budget and give the money to the village for their price. The difference goes for the extra stuff needed and equalize some prices.. Do not tell me there is no gringo or outsider  price.. 

I live in an all Mexican neighborhood and I have 2 brick layers/iron workers/plumbers/electricians and we do a lot of renovation work. I buy a lot of stuff but the sellers never see me. 😉. I always smile at the prices charged to non Mexicans. 😇 (but then again both parties are happy). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Northtek said:

I would like to think people are people regardless, but unfortunately I am overly nieve.  Truth is the best content is when you can speak from experience or simply stick with what you know. There is so much to the culture here and it is fascinating, but as far as a show goes, I am not sure people would care, as there are plenty of documentaries all ready and I am not familiar enough with the subject mater to speak on it.

Boy, are you right on this one, most people could care less how fascinating Mexico  is.. have no idea and no interest in it so it maybe why I just turn off whem  I see one of those expat video.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

I live in an all Mexican neighborhood and I have 2 brick layers/iron workers/plumbers/electricians and we do a lot of renovation work. I buy a lot of stuff but the sellers never see me. 😉. I always smile at the prices charged to non Mexicans. 😇 (but then again both parties are happy). 

I did that too when I started thekilns, I went to get a price then sent a mason to get the price then negociated a better price than the mason that was from the village that gets a discount.. net net I found out that the mason was getting his cut too..  Then I sent another person I could trust 100 % then I got the village price so the money could go further for the family.. but it is a fight getting to the bottom of everything..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1