Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Experience

Yeah don't let some of the naysayers here discourage you.  In reality this area truly has a lot of nice and kind people Mexican and Expats alike.  And sure there have been lots of mini documentaries and videos made about life down here in the Chapala area over the years.  Each video is unique and different and no they don't all say the same things obviously.  And many of us really enjoy watching them on You Tube.  I don't understand why some people always have to be so negative.  I look forward to watching any video you make please just post the link when finished.

13 minutes ago, bmh said:

Good love, I hope you can do better than the videos that are around as they are preety boring to say the least. Meanwhile have fun doing whatever, that is the most important point in life.

Yes , to be honest, the videos that I have seen are on the boring side and not very descriptive. Thankfully that is something I have never had a problem with, in fact the best compliment I have ever received is when I was with the CFT, which was a TV show that ran for 4 years nationally in Canada and the US. The compliment was "wow I didn't know fishing competitions were so exciting" which I can say they are not. Watching people fish had to be the most boring thing I had ever experienced, so I had to learn how to make it exciting, which I did, because no matter the content, it needs to be entertaining, otherwise no one will watch it. 

Which is what I plan on doing, because if I am going to do it, then it should be a good and fun experience for everyone involved. Plus it needs to be informative and entertaining.

That's why I just cant be some guy with a camera, because there is a lot more than just filming pretty pictures. I will be including vast amounts of research into the subjects and incorporating, the latest 3d animations, after effects graphics and design elements. combining areal and ground footage, interviews and commentators, and so on. The production level needs to be at the same standards as any other production on National TV. As that is what I am used to and will settle for nothing less.

Some might see this as bragging, but its not, it a simple state of fact as I have pride in everything I do, so if I am going to do it then I am going to do it well. Plus it will be fun for everyone involved, it usually is.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

Why promote an already overcrowded place, with too little infrastructure capability to serve it ?   

Leave well enough alone and don't create more problems !  Please do your project somewhere in the States.

ahh yes the infrastructure debate. it never gets old. Problem with this argument is this, Infrastructure is a problem for most countries and not just Mexico. Truth is that it has been bad, it is currently bad, and will probably continue to be bad. It was bad before most of us got here and has little to nothing to do with us being here, but it didn't stop those that use this argument from coming themselves. Hypocrisy anyone?

I understand that having expats here will have its pros and cons, every situation does. Before I decided to come I heavily considered what my impact would be verses the benefits. because I always look before I leap and what I found out surprised me. One is the Mexican people have been overwhelming supportive in their reception and explained to me what happens when an expat moves to the neighborhood. Now this could just be this neighborhood, as I didn't explore this extensively. But this is the benefits I was told the locals receive. Primarily is local businesses thrive as expats bring a level of disposable income that is not usually found, Secondly, is safety and security of the area, which really surprised me and will be looking at it more in-depth later, but I am told that police presents in areas expats go get better response time and better coverage and it makes local residents feel safer. 

There is more and I will be covering them in future content as it is a top concern of mine in that we offer more pros than cons for the local residence. 

But if your intent is to detour other from experiencing life here because you might be inconvenienced in some way, then you need to ask yourself why its ok for you and not others? yes this is a rhetorical question as we all know the selfish only see things that benefit them and not others. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

ahh yes the infrastructure debate. it never gets old. Problem with this argument is this, Infrastructure is a problem for most countries and not just Mexico. Truth is that it has been bad, it is currently bad, and will probably continue to be bad. It was bad before most of us got here and has little to nothing to do with us being here, but it didn't stop those that use this argument from coming themselves. Hypocrisy anyone?

I understand that having expats here will have its pros and cons, every situation does. Before I decided to come I heavily considered what my impact would be verses the benefits. because I always look before I leap and what I found out surprised me. One is the Mexican people have been overwhelming supportive in their reception and explained to me what happens when an expat moves to the neighborhood. Now this could just be this neighborhood, as I didn't explore this extensively. But this is the benefits I was told the locals receive. Primarily is local businesses thrive as expats bring a level of disposable income that is not usually found, Secondly, is safety and security of the area, which really surprised me and will be looking at it more in-depth later, but I am told that police presents in areas expats go get better response time and better coverage and it makes local residents feel safer. 

There is more and I will be covering them in future content as it is a top concern of mine in that we offer more pros than cons for the local residence. 

But if your intent is to detour other from experiencing life here because you might be inconvenienced in some way, then you need to ask yourself why its ok for you and not others? yes this is a rhetorical question as we all know the selfish only see things that benefit them and not others. 

Obviously you have not examined the infrastructure here, especially considering the development going on, especially compared to most communities in the US, Canada, Germany. etc. I'm not preaching against your project but promotion of more development here without a lot of upgrades in water, sewer and electrical systems is not practical. Perhaps that should be your angle. Also, don't build in the arroyas.

• Like 1

He is not necessarily promoting more development of this area.  He just wants to make a cool video.  Many people before him have come and made videos about Lake Chapala.  Nothing is wrong with that.  If he is as good as he says, his videos will make for an interesting watch.  I'll watch them.  Folks try to lighten up a little and enjoy life.

• Like 2

dichosalocura I agree with you.... if for no other reason that I don't personally believe that anyone's video, even if it is done well by a Journalist, is going to make enough folks actually move here such that we would recognize an uptick.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RickS said:

dichosalocura I agree with you.... if for no other reason that I don't personally believe that anyone's video, even if it is done well by a Journalist, is going to make enough folks actually move here such that we would recognize an uptick.

This is probably the truth, as much as I am hoping to blow the doors off other productions, and mostly my own, the chances of it actually making a difference are slim to none. 

Will it be fun? absolutely, will it be informative? as much as it can be, will it bring people by the droves? I doubt it very much. 

So for everyone that is concerned that a hoard of people will be inspired to move here, you can relax, it wont happen. Truth is at best, all it will do is help people already planning to come here anyway. Plus its not just about Chapala, as there are a lot of new developments in and around Guadalajara. 

But in the off chance that things go exceptionally well, then look at it this way, your property values will probable go through the roof.

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

This is probably the truth, as much as I am hoping to blow the doors off other productions, and mostly my own, the chances of it actually making a difference are slim to none. 

Will it be fun? absolutely, will it be informative? as much as it can be, will it bring people by the droves? I doubt it very much. 

So for everyone that is concerned that a hoard of people will be inspired to move here, you can relax, it wont happen. Truth is at best, all it will do is help people already planning to come here anyway. Plus its not just about Chapala, as there are a lot of new developments in and around Guadalajara. 

But in the off chance that things go exceptionally well, then look at it this way, your property values will probable go through the roof.

Stop talking and just do it already!!! I have seen this play here, over...and over..and over!!!

• Like 2

Does Northtek understand that we have a lake and mountains with one carretera going in between, with no flexibility like in the US to make infrastructure changes?

Maybe he can film the infrastructure disaster done at the Walmart intersection with the Libramiento.   That would be really constructive !!   

I hope you sense my sarcasm with this farce.  Get over it !!!

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:01 AM, mexijims1 said:

Does Northtek understand that we have a lake and mountains with one carretera going in between, with no flexibility like in the US to make infrastructure changes?

Maybe he can film the infrastructure disaster done at the Walmart intersection with the Libramiento.   That would be really constructive !!   

I hope you sense my sarcasm with this farce.  Get over it !!!

Yes I understand the challenges, but I also understand the benefits as well. There will always be challenges and we have faced them since the beginning of time. Every civilization has either overcome or perished, that is the reality of life. So yes you can sit back and say change is not needed because things work for you, but its not up to you or me or anyone group to decide what's best for everyone else.

Change is inevitable for growth to happen, Challenges will be overcome, and people will prosper. The rising tide lifts all boats, except those too tightly anchored in the past.

Ok Update time.

The direction of where this is starting to head is taking shape. It will be a half hour video to conform to broadcast standards so that it can also air on tv. It will be hosted by one Expat, one Local, so a balanced view of both sides of the experience can be explored.

This probably will evolve as time goes on, but as for now we will be focusing on positive aspects and trying to make this a fun experience for everyone.

The opener is done and can be viewed at 

• Like 2

Show formatting.

We are going to break up the show into segments that can be tied together for a half hour show and used individually for airing on YouTube and other platforms. As the show progreses, we may have more in-depth topics that may extend longer, but not very often and probably will be considered special episodes. The reason for this is 2 fold, one being that people want to be entertained and not have to commit to a lengthy topic, Secondly, I think there is enough bad news in the world and I am hoping we can create something that is in the feel good area. So controversial topics wont be explored as we already have enough of that.

Topics that will be included are as follows, Food and culture, housing and design, Travel and destinations. Basically this that will hopefully inspire and excite us.

With that said, we will be asking for patience as a project like this is going to take some time, as we do initial filming, find people that would like to be featured, and research material for the show. Also purchase newer equipment as it all didn't survive the trip hear. 

This will be fun experience and will be reaching out to all those that expressed interest in the next 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Just do it already and leave us alone!!!

If you want to be left alone, then why are you here? just to incite hate or disrespect others? If all you have to offer is negative posts like this, what is your point? or do you just expect that everyone should be miserable?

Like seriously people, if all you want to do is spread your negative and toxic comments or show everyone how hateful you really are, then why dont you just sit at home and scream in the mirror, that way you have the audience that you really want, someone that thinks just like you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Northtek said:

If you want to be left alone, then why are you here? just to incite hate or disrespect others? If all you have to offer is negative posts like this, what is your point? or do you just expect that everyone should be miserable?

Like seriously people, if all you want to do is spread your negative and toxic comments or show everyone how hateful you really are, then why dont you just sit at home and scream in the mirror, that way you have the audience that you really want, someone that thinks just like you.

I am not hating or disrespecting anyone...just laughing and very amused as I am sure are a lot of  oldtimers here (yours truly 14 years) since we have seen this movie many, many times before!!! This is not exactly what this board is for, and I can always block you, but like to have a little giggle now and then by just scanning your wish and hope to list. By the way, I am a very happy and contented person, so I do not think I will be screeming in the mirror anytime soon!!! 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I am not hating or disrespecting anyone...just laughing and very amused as I am sure are a lot of  oldtimers here (yours truly 14 years) since we have seen this movie many, many times before!!! This is not exactly what this board is for, and I can always block you, but like to have a little giggle now and then by just scanning your wish and hope to list. By the way, I am a very happy and contented person, so I do not think I will be screeming in the mirror anytime soon!!! 

I have to respectfully disagree, mainly because comments like "leave us alone" is anything but useful, as it implies people are not welcome. Seniority does not imply ownership, plus being an old-timer and seeing other examples, also doesn't give you insight as to what I maybe doing, it may seem simular, but it is not. 

So maybe I am wrong on what this site is intended to do as I thought it was here for people to connect and share ideas and it seemed like a good way to reach out and let people know what is going on and participate if they choose.

But if you have no interest or desire to know, then easy enough, there are plenty of threads here that you can participate in. Many people have shown interest and provided feed back, which is great, as it gives me feed back and benefits this site as it increases traffic, plus engages users that want to be part of the conversation

unfortunately you have injected yourself into the conversation for no obvious reason other that to mock and now threaten "and I can always block you", so if you are a" happy and contented person" then you would have allowed us to continue this conversation as it is doing no one harm, we are not advertising, trying to sell, or doing anything other than exchanging ideas. 

I am hoping to bring a little fun and excitement, it might not be new, but it will be different.

Also if I am violating a board rule then point it out as I am not aware of any that I am braking, otherwise I am sure the moderators would let me know. with that said I would like to point out the old saying That, "If you have nothing nice to say, Try not saying anything at all" because there is no reason people should shut down a conversation, just because it isn't a topic they want to talk about.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northtek said:

I have to respectfully disagree, mainly because comments like "leave us alone" is anything but useful, as it implies people are not welcome. Seniority does not imply ownership, plus being an old-timer and seeing other examples, also doesn't give you insight as to what I maybe doing, it may seem simular, but it is not. 

So maybe I am wrong on what this site is intended to do as I thought it was here for people to connect and share ideas and it seemed like a good way to reach out and let people know what is going on and participate if they choose.

But if you have no interest or desire to know, then easy enough, there are plenty of threads here that you can participate in. Many people have shown interest and provided feed back, which is great, as it gives me feed back and benefits this site as it increases traffic, plus engages users that want to be part of the conversation

unfortunately you have injected yourself into the conversation for no obvious reason other that to mock and now threaten "and I can always block you", so if you are a" happy and contented person" then you would have allowed us to continue this conversation as it is doing no one harm, we are not advertising, trying to sell, or doing anything other than exchanging ideas. 

I am hoping to bring a little fun and excitement, it might not be new, but it will be different.

Also if I am violating a board rule then point it out as I am not aware of any that I am braking, otherwise I am sure the moderators would let me know. with that said I would like to point out the old saying That, "If you have nothing nice to say, Try not saying anything at all" because there is no reason people should shut down a conversation, just because it isn't a topic they want to talk about.  

BOOOORING!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1