Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone Lakeside who can extract a few files from my Computer Hard Drive

Cincy

The advice is accurate.  I can confirm local shops can easily do common copying tasks from a working drive pulled from a dead computer. 

It's something I have done myself on occasion.

An addition precaution tip though:

The biggest risk is accidental damage -- via transportation of the bare hard drive, make sure you protect it from static electricity and from being bumped around

If you have any antistatic bags, put the drive inside such a bag.  And then put the bag in something padded for shock absorption.   If you don't have any antistatic bags, then double-bag it in ziploc in a pinch -- it will be better than keeping it in plain open air.  Ziploc inside ziploc, if no antistatic bag available.  Touch something metal before touching the disk drive -- to clear your body of static electricity.

Normally for most users if it is a laptop drive -- then I would recommend keeping the disk drive inside the dead laptop and transport the laptop (since even a dead laptop protects the drive from static electricity and some G-shock).  But if it is already removed, take additional precautions to protect the drive during transportation to whomever helps get the files off for you.

Another +++ for Luis. My laptop went toes up (ok, it was dying and I accidentally managed to put in the final stake). I thought everything was lost. Most was, but he was able to extract some info from the hard drive and put it on a memory stick for me. Fortunately, the one thing I really wanted was there. His prices are very reasonable.

22 hours ago, Tingting said:

Another +++ for Luis. My laptop went toes up (ok, it was dying and I accidentally managed to put in the final stake). I thought everything was lost. Most was, but he was able to extract some info from the hard drive and put it on a memory stick for me. Fortunately, the one thing I really wanted was there. His prices are very reasonable.

Luis is  the best

That is great there is local support, however if anyone does find themselves in this position, by all means seek out local help, but once files are extracted, hold onto the drive after. 

As doing media work, I can tell you that my computer needs far exceeds the average user and I go through hardware pretty quickly. Hard drives being one of them, so I have had to learn data extraction simply because of necessity. One thing I can tell you is that its rare a drive is damaged beyond repair and is often still good enough to be used as a backup storage device. 

But dont take my word for it as I will be more than willing to put my words to the test. If you do have this problem then absolutely take it to whom ever you trust, as supporting local businesses should always be supported. But once it done, make sure they give you your drive back. One reason is for data security. Then PM me and I will be more than happy to check if the drive is no longer viable for free. if it is, then I will mount it as an external drive so you can use it as a backup. If not then no harm no foul. We can then ensure the drive is degaussed and not future data is retrievable.

38 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Snip,...As doing media work, I can tell you that my computer needs far exceeds the average user and I go through hardware pretty quickly. Hard drives being one of them, so I have had to learn data extraction simply because of necessity. Snip,... 

But dont take my word for it as I will be more than willing to put my words to the test. 

What is your opinion and experience with SSD Hard drives?

Someone on another thread is asking about purchasing a laptop in the USA before leaving.  Nobody seems to be expressing your expertise for that person.

2 hours ago, Whipstock said:

What is your opinion and experience with SSD Hard drives?

Someone on another thread is asking about purchasing a laptop in the USA before leaving.  Nobody seems to be expressing your expertise for that person.

I mainly use SSD's now. Mind you SSD is a broad term, and there are a variety of them,  but they are cheap, fast and pretty reliable. But they do have their drawbacks in the amount of times it can read/write data. But over all fast.

As far as experience goes, I would say advanced. more so than you will find in any PC repair shop. 

15 hours ago, Whipstock said:

I often feel that way when confronted by a "sandwich artist" at a Subway.

Lol, that's funny. When I was going through school so many many years ago, I got a part time job at Best Buy, at that time it was still Future shop, I got into trouble because I was actually fixing the computers. They told me "we dont do that here, we just say you need to upgrade". Needless to say, I didn't last long as I didn't fit in their "culture" as they said. 

I still consider it a good experience as I knew I needed a strong background in computers for doing media, but I was surprised at how shady and cult like the atmosphere was.

But the actual reason I was "let go" is the guys from corporate came in for a store inspection and one of them asked me what I thought about working there as a career, I said something with out thinking and walked away, but apparently I told him "the only future here is in the name" I dont remember even saying it as I was distracted, but needless to say, it didn't go over well.

Dont get me wrong, I still buy stuff from Best Buy as a lot has changed since then, but I would never use their service center.