Chapala.com Webboard

Back in Mexico with new perspective and bigger toys

I will be checking them all out as I am not adverse to opposing opinions, in fact I often seek them out.  I subscribe to broadband thinking, in that all points of view must be considered to get a broader understanding of the world around us. With that said, there are people that are dead set against any view that counters their own, they have little capacity to engage in civil discourse, so in response, they censor, ridicule, and attack. This are simple minded people that seek attention by inserting themselves in to discussions well outside of their abilities for the sole purpose of limiting their own exposure to concepts they are ill equipped to handle.

I have no desire to engage them as it serves no end, as the old adage says, "there is no point in arguing with certain people as you will never change their minds and they will never change the subject".

But that is neither here nor there, as I am in Mexico for my own reasons, I see a potential in the people and have access to the same living standards at a far lower cost then back home. My wife is Mexican and she has shown me that life here has a lot of benefits. In return, I hope that the vast amount of training and experience that I have accumulated over the years can be put to use to better the lives of those that seek to leverage it and hopefully bring opportunities to the community. 

We need to understand we were bless with the advantages of being lucky enough to be born and raised in countries that had access to resources other countries didn't. So we can set back and feel privileged or we can make ourselves useful and help others. I choose to be useful.

As far as sites go, I have high hopes for this site as it is the first one found, it is also in the interest of the sites owners to make it a place where people are not excluded as it will not foster growth or increase profitability. In the end, they built this site in order to promote and advertise local services, not to host old people with a chip on their shoulder.

So lets help them make it better, because it will benefit us all.

Edited by Northtek
$%&/()s was censored
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Yes Mudgirl and Fred, I agree that it is very very sad when members do that.  When members try to censor other member's ideas and opinions and they resort to childish antics and swearing to push their agendas.  Very very sad  indeed!

That door swings both ways on this forum as most forums.  I was called a "pile of manure" a couple of years ago by a poster friend of yours and the mod never took any action.  So as far as I am concerned,  the mod gets the final nod, and it is not a secret where his biases are. 

Virgo girl got put in timeout, OK, no problem if she was out of line. 

Bottom line is simply that the board has a right bias and there cannot be any open discussion and  civility if the rules are not enforced equally.  And the rules are not enforced equally.  No me importa, Another thread hijack, excuse me.

As far as the OP of this thread is concerned, I will offer this unsolicited advice.  Film all you want at lakeside but think twice when in outer lying pueblos especially Michoacan, Nayarit, and Guerrero.  Cameras are not welcomed in some areas, especially in Huijol and Purepecha pueblos.  At times, the locals may think that the camera is an effort to "steal their alma",  (soul).  Stick to lakeside area and Guadalajara and all will be good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiko said:

As far as the OP of this thread is concerned, I will offer this unsolicited advice.  Film all you want at lakeside but think twice when in outer lying pueblos especially Michoacan, Nayarit, and Guerrero.  Cameras are not welcomed in some areas, especially in Huijol and Purepecha pueblos.  At times, the locals may think that the camera is an effort to "steal their alma",  (soul).  Stick to lakeside area and Guadalajara and all will be good.

I appreciate the heads up, will have to ask the wife about "steal their alma" as that is wild if so. As far as these forums go, I have to admit after reading through the three recommended, I am not really sure what anyone is getting out of them.  Maybe my expectations might be set a little to high. Isn't the point of these forums to help each other and share recommendation and insights?

• Like 2

Isn't the point of these forums to help each other and share recommendation and insights?

Yes that is the intent of forums.  However, all forums have jerks of various colors.  Take what you can use and leave the rest on the table.

IMO, all of the really interesting stuff is outside of lakeside.  No risk, no reward.  If you want to see those areas, I could possibly go with you.  Que le vaya bien.

8 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Isn't the point of these forums to help each other and share recommendation and insights?

Yes that is the intent of forums.  However, all forums have jerks of various colors.  Take what you can use and leave the rest on the table.

IMO, all of the really interesting stuff is outside of lakeside.  No risk, no reward.  If you want to see those areas, I could possibly go with you.  Que le vaya bien.

Ok I spoke with the wife, she is Mexican, and we had a good laugh, but yes I agree "all of the really interesting stuff is outside of lakeside.  No risk, no reward." it cant be any worse than Venezuela, barely made it out alive but was well worth it,  plus I appreciate the offer, I will probably take you up on it. will be working on the drones tomorrow and see how the equipment faired in the move here.

• Like 1

If you would reread his original post I think it would be crystal clear.  He came discussing some interesting projects about him possibly making a series about expat life in México, several people came instantly offering recomendations and insight.  Until Virgo lady walks in to the room spewing her usual nauseating dosis of vile hate and nastyness.  And now she is sitting in time-out thanks to the mods.

44 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

If you would reread his original post I think it would be crystal clear.

I read his original post. Do you think I would comment on it if I hadn't? And my reading comprehension is just fine. The post largely consisted of him telling everyone of his accomplishments in Canada, his views on the media, his camera equipment, and what he planned to do here.

His post didn't help anyone, or share recommendations or insights, which is what he indicated he thought it was for, which is why I questioned him. 

It's you who needs to reread what is written.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes. And how does your original post that started this thread do that?  

because the original idea was to come up with ideas to showcase the area, highlight places of interest, and share any experiences people have that might help people understand the community and coexist better. you know, help each other. So I think everyone else got it.

So if you thought I was here to tot my own horn, yeh no, I am fine. maybe could have written it better, but I also know it doesn't matter how it was written as people will read into it anyway and try and make it out to something its not. 

But to everyone else, I thank you for your input and looking forward to meeting everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Oh you traveled to Venezuela?  I used to live in San Cristóbal, Táchira State up in the Andés Mountains.  Such a beautiful country.

yes, it was my favorite so far, I was along the amazon, but not exactly sure where as it was a very remote area, but did spend a night in Caracas, I was not allowed to go out much as the situation was a little crazy. 

Its quite possible you were near the Río Orinoco then you went to La Gran Sabana and then onto Salto Angel or near Roraima. That is where most tourists go.  Lots of unique things to see and explore there. Venezuela has beautiful and totally unique natural environments while México out performs with its history, culture,  and colonial cities.  Venezuela can't compete with those things.  But Venezuela has amazing nature and their Andes Mountains are out of this world, in and around Mérida should not be missed either.

Mudgirl you are being rather nit-picky with your interpretations of posts.  Please let it go.  Your girl Virgo was sent to time out because of her nasty behavior.  I know you have never been quite that nasty but please respect that the mods deemed it necessary for her this time around to sit in the corner.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kiko said:

That door swings both ways on this forum as most forums.  I was called a "pile of manure" a couple of years ago by a poster friend of yours and the mod never took any action.  So as far as I am concerned,  the mod gets the final nod, and it is not a secret where his biases are. 

Virgo girl got put in timeout, OK, no problem if she was out of line. 

Bottom line is simply that the board has a right bias and there cannot be any open discussion and  civility if the rules are not enforced equally.  And the rules are not enforced equally.  No me importa, Another thread hijack, excuse me.

Yes Kiko the door always tends to swing both ways.  Two years ago or more before this pandemic and the Trump era I would have identified with the liberal side of the aisle but the leftists have gone so far out in left field lately that I can no longer blindy side with all their ideas and mandates.  And who ever called you a pile of manure, I would not of sided with that person and I doubt that he is my friend.  Since our politics are now so extreme and polarized it is now better to scrutinize both sides and attempt to pick a middle of the road view.  Growing up I used to think the nasties were only on the right.  Now I see things differently.  This board is living proof.  Sure we have one crazy drunk BB boy going off on illegible and incomprehensible arguments.  But he isn't what I would call nasty, just loco.  Those on the right tend to come across as possibly more snarky but those on the left are the ones that are getting the nastiest and using the vilest and vulgarist language.  I haven't read anywhere where a conservative told someone to die but there are several posts from the nasty squad here telling others that if they don't mask up or vaccinate they can go die.  The leftists have become the new nasties.  But their power is now slowly beginning to diminish thank goodness.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Kiko said:

I was called a "pile of manure" a couple of years ago by a poster friend of yours and the mod never took any action.  So as far as I am concerned,  the mod gets the final nod, and it is not a secret where his biases are. 

So did you report the personal attack to any mod?  Do you expect the mods to read every thread and every post?  It is incumbent on the group to help out by reporting blatant personal attacks and other serious rule violations

There's no secret what your biases are either.  Keep that in mind.

Let's stay out of politics here, please.  

13 hours ago, Kiko said:

This makes me laugh.  Most of this group is anything but right biased.  

You love to complain about me and this board.  Why don't you consider the possibility you'd be happier at TOB where the group think definitely goes your way and it is quite OK to insult other posters personally when one doesn't agree.

Feel free to take your complaints to the Admin.  Otherwise, follow the rules and report them to another Mod or to the Admin.