Chapala.com Webboard

Back in Mexico with new perspective and bigger toys

Hello all. 

Its been a while as I have been in Canada covering the covid crises, truckers protests, and the Ukraine war. Which has opened my eyes more than I was expecting. When here last I had decided to look for things to keep me busy while in Mexico and do something different than in  Canada, Mostly because the equipment was very expensive and the idea of bring it to Mexico made me nervous. As all my equipment is broadcast quality and I wasn't sure if it was safe to have here. Because while in Ottawa, Fox news and other news outlets were eyeing up my gear as it draws a lot of attention.

But after almost a year in Canada reporting on current events, I have come to a hard to swallow conclusion. That is the news is no longer the news. So I decided that I no longer want to play on that merry go round of misinformation. So with a lot of baggage and concern, I have brought back all my equipment with me and will see what I can do with a full fledged media company here.  I am thinking starting a video series on living in Mexico as an Expat as there are so many benefits that most of my friends and family just do believe. But I am also open to any ideas. 

Also, because I found tools here so expensive, I brought back a suitcase of Dewalt cordless tools with 5 Amp batteries, so when I am not shooting videos, I will be looking for other projects to keep me busy. so again looking for ideas, so feel free to share.

So if you see anyone in the area with a shoulder mount Camera, come and say hello as that will be most likely be me.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Northtek said:

So if you see anyone in the area with a shoulder mount Camera, come and say hello as that will be most likely be me.

Okay, have fun and if I see you around, I'll try and say hello. I'm from Guanajuato but am in Chapala off and on.

Also, don't mind the trolls and the rude/unpleasant people. Most people are cool, but there's always a few who live to put others down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think I am beginning to see a pattern here.  The people on this board who are the most gung ho and most hard core when it comes to mandates and Covid protocols are also the nastiest by far.  And Virgo lady wears the crown.  Maybe all that social distancing, isolation and mask wearing isn't working for some folks.  Go outside your home, breath in some fresh air, live your life and try to find happiness again!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Virgo lady, you certainly have an air about yourself that is very odious and nasty.  You tend to say the most vile and horrible things to just about anybody on this forum that disagree with you and you are not diplomatic in the least.  The fear of Covid and the whole isolation issue has not been kind to you.  It turned you into an angry solitairy and bitter human.

• Like 1

Virgo lady, just because someone has an independent mind and questions things and are not so quick to believe everything they see or hear on the internet does not make them a Trump supporter or someone who carries confederate flags.  What is wrong with you?

And no, so far I have not had any variant of Covid that I am aware of, so I guess that article of yours about Covid shrinking peoples brains would not apply to me.

• Like 3

Sorry for not responding earlier, as I only will be checking this board when I have time. Sadly I forgot about this boards reputation for having a toxic few that have nothing better to do other than finding a reason to hate on some one. It is regrettable that this is the only site that represents the community, as it is a great area with great people, but it is being held hostage by a few that want to discourage and attack others. I would have thought the owners of this site would encourage growth and weed out the trouble makers, but it seems as they either dont know or dont care. Its a shame for sure but I think these few will ultimately be the downfall of this site as soon as an alternative is made available. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Virgo lady, just because someone has an independent mind and questions things and are not so quick to believe everything they see or hear on the internet does not make them a Trump supporter or someone who carries confederate flags.  What is wrong with you?

And no, so far I have not had any variant of Covid that I am aware of, so I guess that article of yours would not apply to me.

Dichosalocura i appreciate everything you are saying but it appears virgo lady simple does not have the capacity to do anything but hate anyone that has a view outside of her own. As much as I think its great that you are exposing her toxic nature, it is falling on deaf ears, as she obviously has no interest in civil conversations and is in no way interested in fostering good relationships, so best is to just ignore her until she gets the therapy she obviously needs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

I think your idea of creating a video series of expat life in this area would be really interesting.  I would definitely watch it.  Sorry for the silly arguing.  Just some of these nasty intolerant people really rub me the wrong way.  I did not mean to hijack your thread.

absolutely no problem, I think it is great that you did. as it reminded me that I need to do something. but your ideas are also great, I look forward to talking to you more on how we can flush out those ideas. There are a lot of good people here, its just a shame that a few bad actors are spoiling it for everyone else. But if the site owners refuse to do anything about it then maybe its time someone else does

18 hours ago, Victor David said:

Okay, have fun and if I see you around, I'll try and say hello. I'm from Guanajuato but am in Chapala off and on.

Also, don't mind the trolls and the rude/unpleasant people. Most people are cool, but there's always a few who live to put others down.

Thanks Victor hoping to meet a lot of people and having some fun. I am glad the moderators seem to have taken the bull by the horns on this and also want to see positive interactions. Thanks again to moderator 2 for the intervention, I realize that its not easy keeping things peaceful

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MtnMama said:

If you haven't already, be sure to get to know Roy Nolan who lives on the south shore of Lake Chapala. He is a long time videographer and fascinating person.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for him, I always enjoy meeting new people, does he have a contact on here? or any way of messaging him?

15 hours ago, Northtek said:

Sorry for not responding earlier, as I only will be checking this board when I have time. Sadly I forgot about this boards reputation for having a toxic few that have nothing better to do other than finding a reason to hate on some one. It is regrettable that this is the only site that represents the community, as it is a great area with great people, but it is being held hostage by a few that want to discourage and attack others. I would have thought the owners of this site would encourage growth and weed out the trouble makers, but it seems as they either dont know or dont care. Its a shame for sure but I think these few will ultimately be the downfall of this site as soon as an alternative is made available. 

Actually there is another site, TOB

I was thinking about mentioning the other board.  But it is a rather low traffic board and its members are comprised of many who were banned from Chapala.com for their nasty child like comments.  They are mostly a like minded group who have run off most people who have opposing ideas. Their Octagon section has few rules and that is where the close minded bullies tend to hang out.   You won't see a lot of differeng opinions on that board.  You could check out  expatforum.com and go to the Mexico section.  They have people living all over Mexico there.

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

.....and its members are comprised of many who were banned from Chapala.com for their nasty child like comments. 

Many you say. As in about how "many" were banned here vs just quit this board out of disgust?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't know the exact number, just spend some time reading threads in the Octagon section and come back and give us your take.  Many of those that left in disgust were people intolerant to differences of ideas and contrary opinions.  I would say quite a few folks that have been banned here over the years ended up over there.  But yet some came back here under new names and new encarnations.  And there is a reason for that.  TOB is less stimulating.  You need a diverse group of people with diverse takes and opinions to make a board interesting.  When you constantly try to shut people down and censor their opinions like Virgo lady has been trying to do for some time, once those people leave you are left with a very bland and boring webboard.  Hence TOB.

• Sad 3