Chapala.com Webboard

Saving on prescription drugs

Every time my wife or I have a "new medical event" according to our health insurance plan...we must hit a new deductible. In our case, it is a fairly high amount. If I am willing to pay out of pocket and forego the required "factura" I found a Mexican couple who pick up my required drugs at a savings of up to 60-70% off my discounted prices at the Farmacia. I only pay on delivery and the products have been fresh and sealed.

I can give you their cell number if you pm or e-mail me. The are fluent in english.

• Thanks 1

I will be moving to Ajijic in late May and since I have a pacemaker due to Afib it is crucial I have a blood thinner availabe.  I currently use Pharmstore in Canada for the generic form of Eloquist which is not available as a generic in the states but is in weird places in southeast Asia.  The mail to me in Portland takes about 6 weeks - and I get a 180 day supply for 123 and free shipping.  

There is no generic available in Mexico and since it is crucial that I don't get a counterfeited drug, where does anyone needing a blood thinner like Eloquis go - do you use a place like Pharmstore or some other outlet.

Also, I will need to register with an electrophysiologist once there for yearly checkups.  There is one listed for the San Antonioo hospital.  Is anyone a patient of the doctor there?  Thanks for needed information that I am having trouble finding elsewhere.  

I just googled Eloquist in Mexico and here's what I got:  Can I buy Eliquis in Mexico? You can! The price for Eliquis in Mexico for 60 tablets of the standard 5mg dosage is approximately $85 USD. This per-pill price of slightly more than $1 per pill is considerably less than what you will pay at nearly every local pharmacy in America.

I had read that and yes it is cheaper than in the states by far - but the way i figure it at 1.00 per pill,  180 day supply would be 255 instead of 122 - the good thing though is that i can t it at all in mexico since if the pharmstore order arrives late, i will always have a supply - this is the only pill I take and it has to be one of the most epensive on the market - before Pharm store showed up, I fell into that famous donut hole - and that was VERY costly.  

Another thing I read about big pharma that I didn't know until I read about about the sackler family - After about 7 years I think, generics do have to come on the market - as I said eloquis is availabe in mauritanea  where mine comes brom - however, if the pharms just twitch the formula a tinybit it is then considered they have a new drug on the market and they get another 7 years - this is what happened to Eloquis according to what i have read - there are way cheaper blood thinners but you have to be very closely monitored with bloodtest, heart checks  etc - i had a friend from many years back - before the current crop of blood thinners - - i think it was warfariin or some such - anyway she didn't know about bloodtest etc and bled to death  quite suddenly - so to avoid that, you play the BIg Pharma game - 

22 hours ago, dottiejane said:

There is no generic available in Mexico and since it is crucial that I don't get a counterfeited drug, where does anyone needing a blood thinner like Eloquis go - do you use a place like Pharmstore or some other outlet.

If you don't yet have a doctor in Mexico, you might contact one to get established with them (via email, phone, etc). Once you've done this, you can inquire about the availability of your medication, and whether an alternative is advised. It sounds like you've done thorough research about the meds available in Canada and the US, but it's possible there might be something in Mexico that's not available up north. I've found this to be the case with one medication I'm taking. Best of luck with your research!

• Like 1

My hubby used Sintrom here for 15 years as a blood thinner. He had both femoral arteries replaced with teflon ones in Queretaro in '97. Yes, it requires checking with an INR but once you're stabilized, you're good to go and the test is only required once every few months. Very cheap. Just something to inquire about. And Hector Briseno is THE best imho.

• Like 1