Chapala.com Webboard

Tell me all about Intercam

Mainecoons

On the "New Bank" thread Ferret posted this link:

https://www.intercam.com.mx/?lang=en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu9r4ruCK9gIVPxPUAR2w1w2gEAAYASAAEgKhs_D_BwE

We have been with Actinver exclusively but are now thinking we'd like to diversify.  In particular we are looking for a bank that offers a Mexican credit card.

From those that have experience with both Actinver and Intercam, or Multiva and Intercam, I would be very interested in knowing your take on all of them and what Intercam might offer better than Actinver or Multiva.  We do not have problems getting cash using our U.S. ATM card.

Thanks.

We have been with Intercam for a number of years. Since then we have not used an ATM and go to either branch and pretty much take out as much cash as we want from the tellers. Have an Intercam debit card which I use primarily for Hospital charges,MRI,CAT doctors. Used it to pay for our stay at Cuixmala resort ,$158,000+mp for casita up front and another $60,000mp at check out for what we spent there .No problem cashing 3rd party cheques or depositing them in our account. To top up we write a cheque from our Scotia acc. and they credit our acc. instantly even though it takes 5+ days to clear to them. We get interest on our chequeing account but the gummint grabs most of it. They do issue CC but we haven't found a need for it and use our Scotia CC  when a CC[eg. Amazon is needed. They have ATM's all over Mexico

• Like 1

I second the customer service. Outstanding! Love that I can just write a cheque on my Canadian account for deposit. Love their computer banking service although a bit clunky. I would never use my cell phone for any banking service so didn't set that up with them. Love having another debit card in case a machine eats my Canadian one. So far, so good and it's only been a couple of months with Intercam for me.

My original account was with Lloyds  and I had it from 1996 to 2012. The service was excellent with Lloyds and not so great when Actinver bought Lloyds. The final straw was when they froze my whole account waiting for a sizeable cheque to clear to pay for my hubby's many operations. I would have understood them not allowing me to dip into the funds they were waiting to clear BUT to freeze my whole account under already stressful circumstances... I just lost it. I waited for the cheque to finish clearing and then closed the account. Be warned.

I did just fine without ANY account from 2012 to last summer. But, I am waiting patiently for a new vehicle and wanted the funds here so they could easily be transfered to the dealership's account. Still waiting for the car but I'm good to go on the banking front when my "chip" comes in.

I use my Intercam debit card all the time.  Shopping is easy (Walmart, Costco, Superlake), and Walmart even lets' me get cash back (up to $2000).  I see no reason to have a Intercam Credit Card. They only let you use it for a small amount.  I have my Wells Fargo Credit Card if I need it. For my two hospitalizations I used my Wells Fargo Credit Card.

When I want a lot of money then I go to the Window in the bank.  Most of the time I withdraw $5000 (max) from one of the three Intercam ATM.  My monthly social security is deposited in the account.  To supplement that I write a Wells Fargo check for any amount and the pesos are deposited into my account.  That money is in my account within a couple of hours.  Last week I paid for my car insurance with the Debit card.  

I have been with MultiVa for mucho years.

My big problem is that I can sometimes use my debit card online (Mercado Libre) and sometimes it gets rejected.

Also, can I get my SS deposited directly into a Mx bank? I never heard that. If I can, that might be a better deal for me.

What does anyone know on the SS direct sdeposit?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

At Intercam the social security checks are deposited into the account at full value for the time/date.  Unlike when I deposit a Wells Fargo check.  They take out 0.6%, I think it is.  

Intercam has the $5000 max per day withdrawal from an Intercam ATM with an Intercam Debit card.  The policy is determined by Intercam Mexico, not the local account executive.  If you an US bank cards there is no problem with more withdrawals.  I once watched a man making around 8 withdrawals from the Intercam ATM at the LCS.  When I asked him about it he said he was paying his bills, and he was not using an Intercam card. Lucky for me there was still money in the machine when I withdrew my $5000.

• Like 1

I have a friend who has had direct deposit of his monthly Social Security check at Actinver for several years. Ask Multiva about direct deposit of your Social Security check, I am sure it is an available option there.

I left Actinver after multiple problems with their lack of responsiveness.  For example, tried to do direct transfer to my surgeon's account.  It never occurred.  REASON: the account rep FORGOT to liquidate my fund to send the cash after we had discussed it thoroughly.  That was it for me.

I now bank exclusively at Multiva. 

However, several favorable comments about Intercam on this thread. 

When I write a check on my American bank for deposit into my Multiva checking account it takes 30 days!!!  I'm thinking of moving to Intercam also.  My friends say that it takes only 2-3 days for their American checks to clear for deposit into Intercame.

5 hours ago, CalGal said:

When I write a check on my American bank for deposit into my Multiva checking account it takes 30 days!!!  I'm thinking of moving to Intercam also.  My friends say that it takes only 2-3 days for their American checks to clear for deposit into Intercame.

30 days???? Do these people not know about computers and Internet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

... the 30 day bit is funny... using e-transfer and 'Wise' I send $ (my pension) from my credit union account in Canada to my Intercam account in Mexico... Last time I did it when I pressed send to send the e-transfer to Wise... I INSTANTLY got an email (my email client was open) from Intercam saying money had been deposited into my account... ... from Canada to Mexico.. about 1 second. That's almost fast enough to make a penny stock day trader take notice...With 'Wise' you get the INTERBANK RATE not the bank rate as you would with the cheque deposit... that's a 1/2 peso difference..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1