Chapala.com Webboard

Intrusive adds on my android phone

Ads when using a web browser? As Alfa mentioned use some sort of adblock + ublock origin add on to browser.

Or:

If you're seeing ads elsewhere then you likely have a phone with built in ads, just about every chinese phone comes with those, but also samsungs. You should be able to opt out, but have to chase those in multiple places. Generally open settings for any system app, and opt out of "show recommendations" or something to that effect.

You can also eliminate ads altogether by deleting the system app that is responsible for advertising, but you will have to use an ADB. For example in xiaomi phones the advertising app is called "msa".

You can also use a firewall app such as "netguard" or "noroot firewall" or "blokada" to block the system app responsible for ads.

Or, and perhaps the simplest way, use a vpn with built in ad blocker and trackers, such as surfshark.

My personal preference with any new phone is to root, and block any and all tracking / advertising for good.

Also some manuf actors are worse than others for ads. Xiaomi, which I have, is infamous. They even have PR statements saying that they have ads to keep the price of their phones down. As a result, you can google the make of your phone and how to remove ads, and there are many step by step instructions that people have posted on how to reduce ads on specific models.

I see you are helping Zuckerberg stay a billionaire. Ditch google/android and get an Apple. That's what I did long time ago when udates started including full moron bumrush advertising so they make money. Google/android is still going to sell your info using their phones and the people buying the info will still call or email spam..

8 hours ago, Stream said:

I see you are helping Zuckerberg stay a billionaire. Ditch google/android and get an Apple. That's what I did long time ago when udates started including full moron bumrush advertising so they make money. Google/android is still going to sell your info using their phones and the people buying the info will still call or email spam..

what has Zuckerberg to do with google/android? It depends of the user and brand/model of phone. Nothing to do with only being android. Sure there are some cheap android brands with ads which you should avoid, but all android phones i had never had any ads/spam and used them without any problems. 

4 hours ago, ednet94 said:

what has Zuckerberg to do with google/android? It depends of the user and brand/model of phone. Nothing to do with only being android. Sure there are some cheap android brands with ads which you should avoid, but all android phones i had never had any ads/spam and used them without any problems. 

Um, are you living under a rock?

(Computer tech here!)

Zuckerberg spends billions of dollars a year on advertising on Android phones.

Google is trying to kick them out:
https://nypost.com/2022/02/16/google-hits-meta-with-ad-changes-that-could-cost-zuckerberg-billions/

It's pretty covert stuff, like you see an appliance, and then realize it's said "Made in China" in tiny print.  Many of the non-Facebook advertisements you see on Android phones are coming from Facebook networks, but being embedded into other everyday web news sites.  

Both left and right do it -- e.g. HuffPo and FoxNews.

For example: If you view FoxNews advertising network permissions file -- View FoxNews' ads supplier list  foxnews.com/ads.txt -- they have authorized Facebook to embed popup mobile advertisements whenever you're reading sites.   That's 

At line 57, FoxNews specifically allows for example, these Facebook ads to be embedded on FoxNews.

#[...snip of www.foxnews.com/ads.txt advertising network permissions file...]

rubiconproject.com, 9753, RESELLER, 0bfd66d529a55807
rubiconproject.com, 9755, RESELLER, 0bfd66d529a55807
rubiconproject.com, 16418, RESELLER, 0bfd66d529a55807
tritondigital.com, 44733, RESELLER, 19b4454d0b87b58b
targetspot.com, 19, DIRECT, feb28ed826dcf532

# Facebook #
facebook.com, 196007641003540, RESELLER, c3e20eee3f780d68            #------------ Facebook Advertising outside Facebook

# Fox Now #
freewheel.tv, 516429, DIRECT
spotxchange.com, 209621, DIRECT, 7842df1d2fe2db34
spotx.tv, 209621, DIRECT, 7842df1d2fe2db34
telaria.com, i0unc-nzux7, DIRECT, 1a4e959a1b50034a

HuffPost example: Now, turn your head leftwards to Huffington Post, and scroll down to line number 673 of Huffington Post's ad supplier list  huffpost.com/ads.txt and you will see they also authorize Facebook to insert advertisements on HuffPost pages too.

#[...snip of www.huffpost.com/ads.txt advertising network permissions file...]

contextweb.com, 562145, RESELLER, 89ff185a4c4e857c
districtm.io, 101734,DIRECT
emxdgt.com, 20, DIRECT
emxdgt.com, 574, DIRECT, 1e1d41537f7cad7f
facebook.com, 829491620404073, DIRECT                   #------------ Facebook Advertising outside Facebook
Freewheel.tv, 741650, RESELLER # Premium video demand
fyber.com, 1a12a7e3f84fe560ccf95a3a73043abb, RESELLER
fyber.com, ad9de41d28d494354b23133f26f83122, RESELLER
google.com, pub-5405132603504384, RESELLER, f08c47fec0942fa0

Left, Right, doesn't matter what part of spectrum -- Facebook is everywhere...

Unbadged generic Facebook ads are every where outside Facebook.  Facebook spends billions of dollars on these, funded by all their clients.  Just like HTC / Samsung / etc will sometimes manufacture generic white-label TVs for a different company, some of those advertising banners you see (rectangles) don't tell you who supplied these advertisements -- and sometimes those ad banners come from Facebook unbeknownst to your knowledge.  Big, big, big money stuff....

All news sites are (defacto, in a roundabout way, as a forced standardization) legally required to list their ad suppliers in an "ads.txt" file.  Just adds "/ads.txt" to your favourite news site and you will find out what they are in cahoots with....

So, unfortunately, Facebook (Amongst other advertisement suppliers) are popping up advertisements on your phone as far as the laws allows them to.  The cheap phones are subsidized partially by this!  The situation is changing over the long-term though.

All the news you hear about this, they're trying to clamp down the problems... but at least I gave you a peek under the hood of this ugly vehicle...

As much as I hate Apple's walled garden, they have a huge castle moat against ad tracking you -- and ads leaking outside Safari browser.  To other parts of the phone.  So at least you keep the ads inside Safari browser and nowhere else on the phone.  So iPhones tend to be more adproof than Android phones, even if you're onslaughted by advertisements at a specific website.    And sometimes rules are broken (additional ads added above and beyond what is allowed in ads.txt), which happens more often with generic phones.

One ways to cut down this flow is a higher-cost phone such as an iPhone or a clean-install full-cost Galaxy (unlocked phone bought direct from Samsung instead of through a phone company or carrier) -- if you want a much cleaner Android experience.\

Low cost workaround:
1. You can reinstall a clean copy of Android on your generic phone.  It's like reformatting and reinstalling Windows on a PC
2. If you don't want to do this, there are some indie Mexico phone repair companies that will do this service for you at a cost cheaper than buying a new phone.  It's very labor-intensive, so you will see prices similar to what people charge for backing up and reformatting a PC.  Make sure they use the Google generic copy of Android, rather than the phone company's copy of Android.

(Backup your data, contacts, and photos and factory reset first!)
(And if you don't know how to backup, hire a trusted person to do the phone backup service for you)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ednet94 said:

You are asking what does the guy that owns Google have to do with what one of his subsidiaries under the ABC group does with the products they brand? It's contractual obligations to make the OS allow their advertising and data collection. I guess you didn't know the particulars. Makes them lots of money.

1 hour ago, GDouglas said:

Um, are you living under a rock?

(Computer tech here!)

Zuckerberg spends billions of dollars a year on advertising on Android phones.

Google is trying to kick them out:
https://nypost.com/2022/02/16/google-hits-meta-with-ad-changes-that-could-cost-zuckerberg-billions/

It's pretty covert stuff, like you see an appliance, and then realize it's said "Made in China" in tiny print.  Many of the non-Facebook advertisements you see on Android phones are coming from Facebook networks, but being embedded into other everyday web news sites.  

Both left and right do it -- e.g. HuffPo and FoxNews.

Low cost workaround:
1. You can reinstall a clean copy of Android on your generic phone.  It's like reformatting and reinstalling Windows on a PC
2. If you don't want to do this, there are some indie Mexico phone repair companies that will do this service for you at a cost cheaper than buying a new phone.  It's very labor-intensive, so you will see prices similar to what people charge for backing up and reformatting a PC.  Make sure they use the Google generic copy of Android, rather than the phone company's copy of Android.

(Backup your data, contacts, and photos and factory reset first!)
(And if you don't know how to backup, hire a trusted person to do the phone backup service for you)

Yeah computer tech here too. Not sure why to bring that up? im aware facebook is everywhere on websites. So basically what your conclusión is what was i was saying, it depends on the brand/model of phone. Just don't go for some cheap phone which are heavily sponsored by some company just i said. I have android phones and never got any popup on any phone i have which this post was about and how to avoid them. But the number of ads on websites are basically the same on apple or android if i compare them on both type of phones, the origin of them i really don't care at all. If Zuckerberg has some billions more or less i couldn't care anything. If it wouldn't be him it would be some other evil company. It would be naïve to think apple doesn't make money with some kind of tracking/ads in some kind of way. Just choose your phone wisely whether it be android or apple which don't have any sponsored apps on it and you shouldn't have any ad popups. But i'm not going to limit myself switching over to apple just because to make sure zuckerberg makes a tiny bit less money as Stream suggested to do. Then just take dumbphone if you are that afraid of tracking or that some guy makes money from you using a smartphone.

1 hour ago, ednet94 said:

It would be naïve to think apple doesn't make money with some kind of tracking/ads in some kind of way. Just choose your phone wisely whether it be android or apple which don't have any sponsored apps on it and you shouldn't have any ad popups. But i'm not going to limit myself switching over to apple just because to make sure zuckerberg makes a tiny bit less money as Stream suggested to do. Then just take dumbphone if you are that afraid of tracking or that some guy makes money from you using a smartphone.

I'm aware but the point of my post is actually:

(A) Targetted to the thread in general, not just you -- The original poster can choose between possible options including reinstalling a generic Android build; and

(B) To acknowledge why Stream most unquestionably certainly legitimately referred to Zuckerberg

I develop for both Android and iOS, and I like both devices. Common sense rules.