Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a nice place on Gulf Coast to spend a few days.

elevator

Going down the Gulf Coast you will come to Tampico (interesting commercial) then south to Tuxpan, beautiful small town with the Rio Tuxpan running out to the gulf. Frequented my nacionals for a break. Nice beaches on the Gulf. Then south to Veracruz, a beautiful city with wonderful square. They still had the paseo on Sundays when I was there. If you have been to New Orleans. Biloxi, Tampa or Havana, you'll think you have been here. Wonderful atmosphere and good food. Not many gringos when I was there.

The beaches in Vera Cruz are not particularly attractive, the sound is darker brown ...and as I said right now it is cold there not pleasant .I like the old port in Vera Cruz but Boca del Rio is now full of highrises amd I would not call the area attractive. Just stayed overnight on a beach in Alvarado. Not many people there

Not many foreigners but so what?

Yes, I agree. But brown beaches is what Texas has. If he is wishing to escape that it will be a long drive. 

In the Yucatan Gulf I have not been to Campeche but yes to Celustun and around the horn all the way to Isla Holbox. Beaches get nicer the closer one gets to the Caribbean... Holbox is nice.... but of course the really good white beaches and blue water start once one gets to Cancun heading south. In the 90's once one cleared the beginning mega build-up of Cancun, that area south to Belize was an unpopulated wonderland for the exploring and inquisitive traveler. More Europeans than non-savy US/Canadian vacationers.  Now, not so pristine.

I got to the gulf coast in 1970.. Destin, gulfshores had cabins on stilts , now it is wall to wall condominium  highrises. It is pretty sad Campeche has nice beaches but people say to close to oil riggs, do not know stayed at a nice beach but did not go in the water..

Tulum has been ruined..it is way too crowded, at least no highrise.. Majahual was ruined by the cruise lines and so on ,I think that the beaches in Oaxaca are still nice, some of them are pretty deserted which is what I like.

Huatulco was almost unheard of when we went there on our honeymoon in 1991, now it too is becoming overrun. I bet there are still some great beaches in the bay that are only accessed by water. Huatulco is an easy 1 hr. flight from CDMX. When we returned in 2007 it was still quite nice but the progress could be seen. Very humid most of the year. Gotta go even further south for fewer people but it's "Indian Country" as in the Old West.