Chapala.com Webboard

Newcomer Seeking Longish Term Rental Starting Summer 2022

Marguerite

I will be moving to Lakeside this summer. I am seeking a small house or casita.

* 1-3 bedrooms

* Monthly rent $1,000 to $1800

* Lots of natural light

* Term: 3-6 months, maybe longer. I'm looking for a nice place to live while I figure out where I want to live lakeside.

* Ajijic preferred, walkable to at least some needs. Open to other town, if house is walkable to some needs (food shop, restaurants)

* Laundry 

* Hoping for a pet friendly home as I would like to get a dog. I will not arrive with any pets.

Thank You!

I sent you a personal message.  I am vacating my house in April.  It is a one level 2 bedroom, 1 bath house.  It has a large garden, covered and gated parking.  It is very nicely furnished.  I am not sure of the future rent, but I think it will be around $800 US.  Located in West Ajijic...walking distance to bus stop, shops and restaurants.

33 minutes ago, RickS said:

Just plan on checking into, say, a B&B or the like for a week. At that time of the year you will have oodles of choices and you can check them out yourself.

Excellent advice.  You need to check out the location and actually see the house.  Most houses are for 6 month or 12 month lease, you will have trouble getting 3 month lease at a good rate.  A lot of the houses will be furnished and you will have a good selection since snow birds won't be here.

Mosr rentals are furnished so wanting a furnished place is easier to find than an unfurnished place..  Getting a dog reduces your choice.

3 months rent is short term.not longish. I

THERE ARE LOTS OF RENTAL. The realestate agencies handle lots of them , tjen you can check at the stores like superlake and at the LCS where people post all kinds od things. Check facebook and talk to people, you will find a place.

You can do a search for rentals on google and find rental properties. I tend to one stop shopping on the internet and usually recommend Access Lake Chapala...

Access Lake Chapala Mexico, Ajijic Real Estate, Rentals & Homes

Familiarize yourself with different areas using the maps (click on towns then maps) and be aware that anything on the north side of the highway (carretera) is uphill. The drop down for listings shows rentals but also leases expiring. Those expiring leases  can first be renewed by the current occupiers BUT they must do so two months before their lease actually ends.

Or you can use the "search" button beside the listings button. If you click in the "property status" you can choose "rentals" and in "subdivisions" there is also a drop down menu if you have narrowed down the area in which you wish to live.

All in all, it's an excellent site and you can browse to your heart's content.

• Like 1

I have Googled and I see about 5 listings per site. Some have more but they are showing properties that have already been rented. I have not found one home that I would want to rent and I don't think I'm being picky. The offerings seem so limited it makes me think I'm missing something. 

I did not see the "expiring' listings on Access Lake Chapala. Thank you for pointing me to that. 

When you are in the "listings expiring", you can also change the default order of the listings as to your requirements. You may not get your dream place immediately and rentals in Ajijic are much sought after because of convenience. You have much more flexibility if you have a vehicle. I live in Riberas del Pilar and haven't set foot in Ajijic in several years now. When we lived on the west side of Ajijic, it was always a traffic jam to get into Ajijic and now, it's just generally a big huge traffic jam going in both directions. Each to his/her own. Suerte!

2 hours ago, Marguerite said:

The offerings seem so limited it makes me think I'm missing something.

Like anywhere, the best places go by word of mouth and never get listed anyway. The suggestion above to come, talk to people, ask around, look for "Se renta" signs, check community bulletin boards, etc. 

I found a great place to rent for 5 months years ago in San Miguel de Allende- found a notice on a bulletin board in a café.

Do yourself a BIG favor and rent for at least 6 months, but better one year.  That will give you time to "learn where you are"..... and check out various areas and towns in the Lakeside vicinity. Lots of questions to ask....   things  you will NEVER think of until you've been here.  Send me a pm for        "such as...."  ( Don't want to start a public hornet's nest!)

Meanwhile google  rentals lake chapala area.... you'll find Facebook sites, by owner sites, Realtor sites, long term, short term etc. One real estate company had 47 listings last time I looked..... and tells if "rented", "coming up" "lease expiring", "available now"  etc. plus lots of pix and info.

You'll soon learn there are two camps here..... "buy" and "rent forever"........ and have had time to figure out in which you belong.

You are being very smart.  When we first came here we rented a house in La Floresta which is considered one of the best areas in Ajijic.  We rented for 2 years than bought a house in Riberas.  We bought in Riberas because the houses were cheaper and we got a nice size garden.  This was a wise decision because Riberas is really growing with many services and restaurants.  We are also out of most of the traffic jams found in Ajijic.  We looked at many houses but when we found this one, we knew this was the one and we are very happy here.  Hope you have the same luck.

I also will be moving to the Lake Chapala are in the near future. I spent three weeks in January in a small condo development in Floresta which was great since I am a walker and without a car, could walk to Ajijic town or to Walmart and buses were only a short walk away.  I am planning to rent an airbnb for a month before I arrive and spend the next month or so looking for a furnished rental on a 12 month lease i.  Because I hope to get active in the Lake Chapala Society - a good place to meet people - I would prefer to live close to Ajijic although I know rentals are cheaper in Chapala and elsewhere.  Perhaps as I  establish myself during the first year, I would be more willing to move further out.  

Like many, we moved directly to Ajijic in 2001 and bought a house. We sold it in 2004 and bought a home in Chapala Centro, where we were much happier for the next ten years. Then, health and related insurance needs forced us to relocate to the USA.

Chapala is very walkable, with everything within three blocks of our Centro location; including the lake, park, mercado, bus station, etc. It was also nice to be out of "gringolandia", and in more "normal" surroundings.

6 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

It was nice to be to be out of "gringolandia", and in more "normal" surroundings.

Well RV, to each his/her own.  And we know that you and the Missus liked living in Chapala town, BUT  I don't find the other areas to be less 'normal' and many people don't see the other areas as 'gringolandia' whatever those tags are meant to portray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

it is very funny to hear the fine nuances about the people who all live in gringolandia or close to it.. When you move away from the area to a all Mexican area you realize how all of the Chapala are is gringolandia as some people call it. If you are not in it you are very close to it and have access to may things that are not so easy to find in other parts of Mexico. That is the nice part of the Chapala area no matter which community you chose.

• Like 1

Yes, and it has its appeal. So do more Mexican places. I think I'm best starting off in Ajijic so I have easy access to all the gringo resources and services. After my trial run, 3-6 months, I'll know whether being close to a large population of expats is important to me, whether the noise is too much for me, etc. Then, I can target my long term residence accordingly. I'm grateful for all opinions stayed here. 

• Like 1

Yes you are right, if you do not speak Spanish it is a good idea after that you will see how you like Mexico. You can live in Ajijic not speaking Spanish or you can live in Ajijic never speaking English it all depends on how you want to live in Mexico. I lived in Ajijic for 3 years and learned Spanish then I decided to go to a differnt place, so I have lived half or more of the year in Chiapas and the rest of the time in Ajijic. Each place has its plus and minuses but when it comes to amenenities and weather you  cannot beat the Chapala area.  As far as living in one town or another , it depends on your budget  and where you like to spend most of your time nd how you want to spend it.

You will know after  6 months to a year which town you prefer and  and fits your lifestyle better.

• Like 3