Chapala.com Webboard

Dog Running With Scooter

I feel compelled to post this since some of the local expat ladies seem to think I am torturing my Jack Russell dog by running her too fast alongside my mobility scooter with a top speed of 12 km/hr. (about 7.5 mph). I take her for a 2 block run along the Carretera in West Ajijic most mornings so I figure many have seen me. Several of the local know-it-all women have voiced their opinions on this 'horrid' cruelty. To be fair there are also many who comment on what a great way it is to give my dog exercise.

Yesterday I went to Guadalajara Farmacia and on the way home she chose to run. I was stopped by 2 women. The one who spoke to me was perhaps in her late 60s to 80s with short bright dyed red hair; maybe European(?). She proceeded to voice her opinion that I was running my dog too fast. 

I patiently explained to her that it was my dog who wanted to run, which could be observed by her straining forward on her leash, trying to go ahead of me and besides that fact she can ride on the platform of my scooter anytime she wants. As if on cue my dog had stepped up there. (She had actually ridden there on the way to the farmacia.) I also told her I have owned dogs for 60 years and know them very well.

None of this satisfied her, as she ranted on and on, stating I should carry my dog in the basket at the rear of the scooter. If I were to do that she would quickly leap from there to run. I finally gave up trying to explain things to her and told her she should mind her own business, to which she replied f** you. Nice. I then just continued home.

Now, for all who may think my JR is running too fast let me tell you about dogs. At least my experience with dogs. So far as my present JR, given her own way, she would run along at that speed while at the same time circling me and stopping to sniff and pee. I had large and small dogs on my farm in the mountains of BC where the dogs, Great Dane crosses, JRs and Border Collies ran all day long with the horses up into the hills and still had energy left back home to run around and swim in the river. My two Great Dane crosses lived to 17 and 18 so I believe they were very healthy.

Please rest assured that my dog loves the daily run and bugs me to get her leash on to get going. I watch her that she is not being over exerted and slow down or make her ride accordingly.  

I have trained my present JR to be a service dog. She picks things up from the floor for me, as I cannot bend. However, she is also my constant companion and since I am mostly anti-social, my best friend. She understands much of the English language so completely gets it when I ask if she wants to ride.

So you can see some of things she does for me, here is a tribute video I made for my previous JR who I also trained.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

I feel compelled to post this since some of the local expat ladies seem to think I am torturing my Jack Russell dog by running her too fast alongside my mobility scooter with a top speed of 12 km/hr. (about 7.5 mph). I take her for a 2 block run along the Carretera in West Ajijic most mornings so I figure many have seen me. Several of the local know-it-all women have voiced their opinions on this 'horrid' cruelty. To be fair there are also many who comment on what a great way it is to give my dog exercise.

Yesterday I went to Guadalajara Farmacia and on the way home she chose to run. I was stopped by 2 women. The one who spoke to me was perhaps in her late 60s to 80s with short bright dyed red hair; maybe European(?). She proceeded to voice her opinion that I was running my dog too fast. 

I patiently explained to her that it was my dog who wanted to run, which could be observed by her straining forward on her leash, trying to go ahead of me and besides that fact she can ride on the platform of my scooter anytime she wants. As if on cue my dog had stepped up there. (She had actually ridden there on the way to the farmacia.) I also told her I have owned dogs for 60 years and know them very well.

None of this satisfied her, as she ranted on and on, stating I should carry my dog in the basket at the rear of the scooter. If I were to do that she would quickly leap from there to run. I finally gave up trying to explain things to her and told her she should mind her own business, to which she replied f** you. Nice. I then just continued home.

Now, for all who may think my JR is running too fast let me tell you about dogs. At least my experience with dogs. So far as my present JR, given her own way, she would run along at that speed while at the same time circling me and stopping to sniff and pee. I had large and small dogs on my farm in the mountains of BC where the dogs, Great Dane crosses, JRs and Border Collies ran all day long with the horses up into the hills and still had energy left back home to run around and swim in the river. My two Great Dane crosses lived to 17 and 18 so I believe they were very healthy.

Please rest assured that my dog loves the daily run and bugs me to get her leash on to get going. I watch her that she is not being over exerted and slow down or make her ride accordingly.  

I have trained my present JR to be a service dog. She picks things up from the floor for me, as I cannot bend. However, she is also my constant companion and since I am mostly anti-social, my best friend. She understands much of the English language so completely gets it when I ask if she wants to ride.

So you can see some of things she does for me, here is a tribute video I made for my previous JR who I also trained.

Yes I have a golden retriever that also wants to run all day (and night and in between). I can only guess who is thinking you are doing the wrong thing. 😊

• Like 3

We used to race Basenjis, called lure coursing. All the sighthound love it, chasing a white garbage bag for over 500 yards. I used to train one of the dogs on my mountain bike with a special leash attachment called a "Springer". This was a male unneutered dog. While running on the fields near our home, the dog stopped dead in his tracks and tumbled, almost taking me off the bike too. This guy comes running out his house, yelling you are killing that dog. I explained that no, he was actually a field champion and had never done that before. Then he had enough grace to admit that his Rottweiler was in heat, and he used to let her do her business on that spot.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, timjwilson said:

Please rest assured that my dog loves the daily run and bugs me to get her leash on.

My most recent dog, who I sadly had to have put down in Oct., loved to run. Although she wasn't a racing breed, like a greyhound or basenji, (she was a husky-type) she was fast.  

I live out in the countryside, with large open properties and fields. She used to do this thing when she was young that had people scream in trepidation, covering their eyes, expecting to see her rip herself to shreds- she would run full tilt directly towards a barbed wire fence, then flatten herself out and sail between the strands of barbed wire. She was a big, 70 pound dog, but super agile.

I probably could have trained that dog to jump through a flaming hoop had I wanted to, which some do-gooder would have no doubt informed me was abusive.

9 hours ago, timjwilson said:

(video)

I love the way you have trained your doggies to pick stuff up. The only thing my dogs pick up is food if it falls on the floor, and they don't give it back. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gringal said:

All critters know what they like. Have you ever seen a cat running next to its "master" ?  LOL.🙃

Actually I have had several cats who loved to walk on a leash. Not run, mind you, but walk briskly. When I'd stop to talk to someone, she'd pull on the leash and meow.

We renamed our cat from Max to Houdini after we got one of those escape proof cat harness setups and no matter how we adjusted it he could be out of it in 30 seconds flat.

Max was not meant to be walked.  Period.  We have a $30 closet ornament now.

As for the OP we seem to have more than the usual population density of Karens around here.  You'll have to just ignore it.  I assume you make sure the dog is well watered before his walks as the very dry air at this time of year dehydrates man and beast alike quickly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, timjwilson said:

The woman actually stepped in front and stopped me, as if there were some emergency occurring.

Maybe next time you should just keep going. She'll either move out of the way or else you'll be doing the rest of us a favor by

removing her for a (hopefully) VERY long time to come. (insert evil cackling here) 

• Haha 3