Chapala.com Webboard

Tonala. Looking for someone familiar with factories that can help us find the right manufacturer for our needs.

Happy2trvl

We need a few household items to be made.

We find Tonala overwhelming and am seeking a person that is familiar with the local companies and people who make household items (ie. furniture, paintings, glass, dinnerware, etc).

Does anyone have a reference of someone that we can contact to organize a shopping venture?  

😊 Gracias

On 2/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, Happy2trvl said:

We need a few household items to be made.

We find Tonala overwhelming and am seeking a person that is familiar with the local companies and people who make household items (ie. furniture, paintings, glass, dinnerware, etc).

Does anyone have a reference of someone that we can contact to organize a shopping venture?  

😊 Gracias

You indicated that "We need a few household items to be made."

You are not going to get any factory to work with and you will be wasting your time trying. I have a wholesale company and my minimum order is US$1,000 and there are also minimums within each category: www.mexarte.com

I would suggest that you go to the tianguis there on Thursdays or Sundays. Will be quite a trying experience but very interesting and the best way to get the limited amounts that you want at great prices. Some are resellers but many are from the smaller workshops there. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gringohombre said:

You are not going to get any factory to work with and you will be wasting your time trying. I have a wholesale company and my minimum order is US$1,000 and there are also minimums within each category: www.mexarte.com

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. I can see at least a dozen items in our home that we got custom made in Tonala. Most of the iron factories can make items just from photos. There are several factories that specialize in dinnerware from affordable to very expensive. Wood furniture usually can also be custom made.

The tianguis on Thurs. and Sun. is fun to go to at least once for the experience. Think Chapala size x10, mostly goods.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. I can see at least a dozen items in our home that we got custom made in Tonala. Most of the iron factories can make items just from photos. There are several factories that specialize in dinnerware from affordable to very expensive. Wood furniture usually can also be custom made.

The tianguis on Thurs. and Sun. is fun to go to at least once for the experience. Think Chapala size x10, mostly goods.

The OP headline mentioned FACTORIES...these area a lot different than workshops (Talleres de trabajo) that do custom work. I did talked directly with this woman (she contacted me through my website) and advised her to get a local "guide" who could get her around to appropriate talleres to help with specific product needs. If anyone here could recommend such a person please post it here and I will make sure that she sees it. Gracias

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

The OP headline mentioned FACTORIES...these area a lot different than workshops (Talleres de trabajo) that do custom work. I did talked directly with this woman (she contacted me through my website) and advised her to get a local "guide" who could get her around to appropriate talleres to help with specific product needs. If anyone here could recommend such a person please post it here and I will make sure that she sees it. Gracias

Semantics. A factory is a building where goods are manufactured or assembled.

I've sent the OP a PM.

1 hour ago, dcstroker said:

Semantics. A factory is a building where goods are manufactured or assembled.

I've sent the OP a PM.

I have been doing business in México for over 25 years and dealing mostly with factories (fábricas) and they only work with wholesalers such as my company. On the other hand,  workshops (Talleres de trabajo) or Mom and Pops, work with folks such as the OP. Semantics? OK, I will give you that....

• 1 month later...