Chapala.com Webboard

Waiting on God!

In December My wife and I left Oklahoma for the winter.  We traveled to Dallas Ft Worth airport together and there we separated.  She went to Germany while I was coming to Mexico.  When I got to Dallas I started coming down with the flu.  Due to a ticket mess up I was stuck at the airport for 15 hours, then the aircraft was completely full.  The next day in Riberas I started coughing up and blowing infection.  I thought with the flu I would be over it in a few days.  Two weeks later I am still discharging copious amounts of infection and I started to feel worse.  My wife and I corresponded every day but I did't want her flying back from Germany until her visit was up, four weeks, so I didn't tell her I was worse..  I knew now I probably had covid.  I thought about dying and didn't want my body to lay for several days decomposing.  I knew if I didn't correspond with my wife every day, she would ask the gardener to check on me.  He had a key to the gate but not the house so I started leaving my door's unlocked.   I thought if I died, at least my body would be taken care of.  Another week and I got better.  When my wife got back, she made me see a doctor.  He sent me for lab work and the results showed I had two varieties  of covid at the same time.  He was surprised I was in as good a shape as I was though I have some lung damage.  If I had not had  the two pfizer shots and booster, I would probably have died.   I guess I will wait on god a little longer. 

• Like 4

Sounds awful and glad you recovered. What I can't understand is why you assumed it was the flu instead of immediately suspecting Covid? Of course people can simply have the flu, but these days I would right away suspect Covid and want to make sure one way or the other.

And yes, if you think you might be sick with Covid, it's crucial that you let someone outside the home know, and check in a couple times a day by phone, and there be a way they can get in if you stop communicating. I've read of several cases where people didn't think they were sick enough to go to the hospital and were found dead in their homes.

rafterbr, glad you are on the mend but I gotta ask, again, why men are so flippin' stubborn. You could have gotten help from a Doctor who could have at least made sure you were comfortable with meds. Kudos on the vaccinations though. They probably saved your life.

On the other side of your statement about dying alone... I now send an e-mail "Still Kickin' " to two friends every morning. They both have keys to my house. If they don't get that e-mail, they know to investigate. Although I'm not thrilled about being found dead, at least I know that my two dogs will be taken care of and it's that which gives me comfort.

• Like 3

I didn't think I had covid because I had the two pfizer shots plus the booster and all the symptoms were flu ones.  I actually think I had the flu and because of my weakened state I got the covid viruses at the Dallas airport.  My Mexican doctor asked why I did not come to him but he doesn't speak English and my Spanish is terrible.  My Mexican wife translates for us when I see him. 

45 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

My Mexican doctor asked why I did not come to him but he doesn't speak English and my Spanish is terrible.  My Mexican wife translates for us when I see him. 

I would suggest you find yourself a doctor who speaks English if your Spanish isn't good enough. As you experienced, you can't always assume your wife will be around to translate when you need a doctor.

If you didn't think you had Covid because you'd had all your vaccinations, then you haven't been paying attention. Unfortunately, they haven't come up with a Covid vaccine yet which prevents you from being infected, it just usually keeps you from getting super ill and dying.

And don't think because you've now had it, that you are immune- you aren't. 

I don't think you can determine what is flu and what is Covid without a test. Different people present different symptoms, from just feeling a bit under the weather to feeling like you are going to die.

Pretty much all diseases do not manifest the same symptoms in everyone. When I had dengue, I never had a fever, for instance. When my kids were young and had measles, one was covered in spots and miserable in bed for a week, the other had a few spots on her belly and never felt sick at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you are on the mend. I second the suggestion that you find an English speaking doctor and would add, one who comes to the house. If you think you have covid, most doctors would prefer  you not come into their office and risk infecting other clients.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ferret said:

rafterbr, glad you are on the mend but I gotta ask, again, why men are so flippin' stubborn. You could have gotten help from a Doctor who could have at least made sure you were comfortable with meds. Kudos on the vaccinations though. They probably saved your life.

On the other side of your statement about dying alone... I now send an e-mail "Still Kickin' " to two friends every morning. They both have keys to my house. If they don't get that e-mail, they know to investigate. Although I'm not thrilled about being found dead, at least I know that my two dogs will be taken care of and it's that which gives me comfort.

Your narrative is starting to show cracks. How was a sick person allowed on the plane ?😒

On 2/6/2022 at 8:53 PM, Ferret said:

This might be of interest to you. It's made for exactly this type of situation (which I'm in, too) and more. I call it a digital dead man switch. 

https://lastlanding.com

My cat started me on this. Didn't want her to go hungry just because I might have the temerity to keel over. 

Happy to answer any questions.

Both my friends know who to contact. And all documentation and wills are already in the hands of the people who will benefit. They already know who the people are that they need to contact, both here and in Canada, to get the ball rolling. My mum left a mess. I will not.

2 hours ago, Victor David said:

Happy to answer any questions.

Doesn't say anywhere on your site, or at least it wasn't evident, how often you send messages that need to be responded to. It only mentions being able to set how long after not responding a message would go out to contacts.

I also have a will, three daughters who all have copies and who I check in with pretty regularly and a close neighbor who would check on me if he didn't see me for a day or two, as I do with him.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Doesn't say anywhere on your site, or at least it wasn't evident, how often you send messages that need to be responded to. It only mentions being able to set how long after not responding a message would go out to contacts.

Reminders are sent 14, 7, 3, and 1 days before your message is due to go out. Not all values are applicable, depending on the length of the "fuse" you place on your message or messages.

This page explains in more detail how the alert schedule is determined. Each time you respond, the schedule is recalculated. 

https://lastlanding.com/docs/alert

28 minutes ago, Victor David said:

This page explains in more detail how the alert schedule is determined. Each time you respond, the schedule is recalculated. 

I read all the information. You don't need to direct me to it. 

You did not understand my question. I asked nothing about reminders. I am asking how often your system sends a message to the customer that they are expected to respond to so the system knows they are still alive. 

The system sends messages on the schedule that is described on the page I mentioned. These are what you're referring to. I call these system messages reminders or alerts in order to distinguish them from user created messages. 

These system messages / alerts contain a link that you click which then informs the system that you're still with us.

The overall how often is different for each user. It depends on how you set your personal message or messages. 

Yes, that's a nice feature of gmail. It's also something quite different in that you'd have to manually reschedule all your messages every so often if you only wanted them to be sent if something happens to you.

6 hours ago, Victor David said:

call these system messages reminders or alerts in order to distinguish them from user created messages. 

No personal offense meant, but this is one of the issues with IT folks. They seem to often think and communicate in a different way than the average person and use and create terms that are not intuitively understood. 

I would never think that "reminder" or "alert" referred to a message I was intended to respond to. A reminder is a message about something you have neglected to attend to and an alert would mean that there is a message somewhere I need to read.

The way it is explained on your website sounds like what a user can adjust is the time period between your system not getting a response to a "Still alive?" message and how long after that their contacts are notified.

Nowhere does it state how often the system checks on the user. It may  be obvious to you how the system you created works, but I'm telling you that from a user's point of view, it isn't clear.

• Sad 1

Thanks for the feedback. If you have a suggestion for a better and more easily understood term/phrase, I'd be happy to hear it. I sometimes use the phrase acknowledgement message, but I'm not sure if that sounds too clunky. Open to ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victor David said:

Open to ideas.

Well, since it's a message to determine if the user is okay, maybe "'All's well' message"? Something like that. 

And like I said, it doesn't say anywhere, at least that I could understand, that the user can set the frequency of the check-up messages. It sounds like the user sets how long after your system doesn't get a response it would notify the contacts. 

Why not just say "You can set how often you want to receive an 'All's well?' message.