Chapala.com Webboard

Wish to make non skid walkway on ceramic tilr

fishcake

4 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

"Suppose a trip to Home Depot is suggested."

Why must you always recommend big box stores? We have countless ferreterias locally that can supply the same materials as HD. If we don't support these smaller local stores we will end up like the US- a generic, paved, colorless blob of uniformity.

No thanks.

Leave the guy alone ! He is just trying to help using what he believes in. He is entitled to believe what he wants without you belittling him ! GEEZ !!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

We have countless ferreterias locally that can supply the same materials as HD. 

Not to mention that HD is usually more expensive on everything than the same item at mom and pop ferreterias. 

Same with other big chain places like Tio Sam's. I've bought the exact  same appliances at small appliance stores that I saw for 1200 pesos more at Tio Sam's.

If you are physically checking out stores or online use the words Antiderrapante and/or Antideslizante. I found an awesome product searching online called Paternit but it's based in Columbia and I couldn't find it in Mexico. There has to be others.

edited to add: anti-skid product for floors - Google Search

edited again to add: Liquid Anti-Skid Treatment Syhn Falls | MercadoLibre  

• Like 1

Ferret is on the right track. This is a type of acid which etches the tiles or bathtubs to make them non- slip. It usually requires a company approved applicator in the U.S. or Canada, but I think that is just a marketing trick.  It can create some nasty fumes so be careful.

Once belonged to a gym in Canada, they had a steam room, sauna and pool. They got what they thought was a good tile on ceramic tile, but the deal was for wall tile, not floor tile. It was so slippery. Plus there were a lot Sihks and Punjab members, who like to add coconut oil to their hair and skin. Made the surfaces like ice.

Sorry, I thought I already posted this.

If it was me I would buy some 4 foot wide galvanized expanded metal lath, 1/4 to 1/2 size. The good stuff has ribs, but I doubt that you will find here, other than roll

Fasten to your intended walkway, use hardened steel concrete nails to secure the mesh to the tiles, using the grout lines. Wear gloves when handling lath. You do not want to make them too tight. You might also think about expansion joints at this stage. A special wood or more expensive plastic/rubber waterstops. If the concrete shifts it will split at these joints - much easier to fix. If you have clayish soil, these expansion joints should be about every six to 8 feet.

Now the concrete. Standard cement mixed with coarse and fine sand, then lots ot pea gravel. Add some acrylic resin concrete fluid, to make it stick better and much stronger. You can make the admixture stiff and trowelable (strongest) or runny, self level which will will require some used motor oil covered boards to keep the concrete in place while it sets. cover with black plastic for one week, or sprinkle water everyday for a week.

This might be as thin as 1 inch to be very strong and relatively lightweight. As the cement wears away, you will be left the good grip of the sand and gravel. To remove, is much easier than slabs or old tiles.

Sounds like a lot of work. It is not. Have fun with it! Get creative, shells, broken ceramic shards, pretty stones all embedded before it sets.

• Sad 1

The trouble is the epoxy would change to an ugly yellow in a very short time. You can seal it/protect it with an Aliphatic Urethane sealer, with added UV protection, but this is just one more step playing around with expensive and toxic materials.

The best, which I have unable to put together, is Magnesium Oxichloride cement, as sold by Hill Brothers in California. It is tinted to look like terra cotta, then trowelled in place by master masons. A large number of heritage homes feature this product, indoors and outdoors. It is used on staircases, decks, etc. The problem when this product first came out it was reinforced with asbestos fibers. The fibers do not escape the cement, but the worker claims for asbestosis lungs cost the company millions of dollars.