Chapala.com Webboard

Gravel Pit with 1 1/2"Gravel anywhere between Jocotepec - Ixtlahuacán

mkshawn

I Have been a bit perplexed by the total absence of larger size gravel. Yes 1/2" / 3/4" is readily available but on our street my neighbours downstream get it all after the rainy season. So Im looking for a yard with the 1 1/2" which seems to stay put I am willing to go anywhere between Jocotepec - Ixtlahuacán to inquire pricing delivery etc. Tks

As gravel pits are sometimes remote any assistance in getting directions is appreciated. Telephone number Pit name all is helpful.

There is a gravel/rock quarry that you can see from Chapala. Lots like part of a mountain has a flat side to it. Go towards Ixtlahuacan, take the JUCUM access on the right would be the road.  Not sure what the pit is called or if they make things to order but they sure haul a lot of material out of that pit.  Careful on the road as they may not be expecting upward traffic. We hear/see the trucks with jake brakes coming down regularly.
Not sure if bigger crushed rock would solve your problem and it's going to be hell on tires. Too deep a layer and it will be tough to drive thru and eventually get pushed to the side of the road. Stone dust which would aid in compaction.
Wish they had road mix here as it makes a good road base (watered and packed).
https://www.google.com/maps/@20.3335476,-103.1774669,979m/data=!3m1!1e3

I've been at that pit when searching for gravel I did NOT find there. The road is long, goes up a lot, and it's easy to get lost! They had very little "selection" and seem to be a place where private truckers come to get loads. They had no delivery service even if I had found what I wanted.

Suggest you talk to the people behind Pemex in Ajijic (run by big store to west of El Barco  pub in middle of that upper lateral). They're most accommodating and  might be able to get what you want..... or offer a better solution (see WideSky)

There is a gravel/stone place on the Carretera WEST of the last lights in Ajijic. It is at the top of the hill going west to Jocotepec on the north side. It's opposite a small strip plaza. They don't stock everything but are most accommodating to get you what you want. You do have to ask though. I wanted smaller gravel than they had and, in the little hut, they had styrofoam cups with various sizes. Mission accomplished and they delivered.

Now, about the size of the gravel. The kind I chose worked fine but is disappearing as well. My neighbours got bigger stone and it's everywhere on the road flipped there by cars and trucks passing by. The next stone I buy will be about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. It was spread at the bottom of a new sidewalk and driveway entrance. It sits and stays better than any of the others.

58 minutes ago, Natasha said:

I've been at that pit when searching for gravel I did NOT find there. The road is long, goes up a lot, and it's easy to get lost! They had very little "selection" and seem to be a place where private truckers come to get loads. They had no delivery service even if I had found what I wanted.

Suggest you talk to the people behind Pemex in Ajijic (run by big store to west of El Barco  pub in middle of that upper lateral). They're most accommodating and  might be able to get what you want..... or offer a better solution (see WideSky)

I will see these folks for a quotation. Tks for the advice

45 minutes ago, Ferret said:

There is a gravel/stone place on the Carretera WEST of the last lights in Ajijic. It is at the top of the hill going west to Jocotepec on the north side. It's opposite a small strip plaza. They don't stock everything but are most accommodating to get you what you want. You do have to ask though. I wanted smaller gravel than they had and, in the little hut, they had styrofoam cups with various sizes. Mission accomplished and they delivered.

Now, about the size of the gravel. The kind I chose worked fine but is disappearing as well. My neighbours got bigger stone and it's everywhere on the road flipped there by cars and trucks passing by. The next stone I buy will be about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. It was spread at the bottom of a new sidewalk and driveway entrance. It sits and stays better than any of the others.

Tried this one which is where I bought the first load of 1 1/2" The debris during the rainy season seals the larger stones in till the grasses take over.

Thanks for your thoughts