Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw receivers soon obsolete?

peteben

So I finally cancelled my Shaw account, too many channels lost when they moved to the new satellite.

When I enquired about reselling my 630HD PVR recorder, I was told that these could no longer be registered to an account.

Something about new receivers being necessary for the transition to 4K TV.

Has anybody else heard something similar?

Thanks,

Pete

6 hours ago, peteben said:

So I finally cancelled my Shaw account, too many channels lost when they moved to the new satellite.

When I enquired about reselling my 630HD PVR recorder, I was told that these could no longer be registered to an account.

Something about new receivers being necessary for the transition to 4K TV.

Has anybody else heard something similar?

Thanks,

Pete

I have not heard that about the 630. It is a good receiver. I have a 630 and a 830 and prefer to use the 630. There may always be a market for Shaw tv for those who want to watch sports and aren't interested in movies. Last week I saw a new show in the series "All creatures great and small."-One of my favorite series. I don't know where else I can see it.

Shaw is old tech and I think all sat TV along with cable will soon be gone.  Internet streaming is taking over.  We bought a loaded Amazon Firestick and have several live streaming TV options and several streaming providers for anything other than live...like movies and binge watching a series.  Works pretty well even with Telmex wifi but would be better with fiber optic which we'll get pretty soon.  We pay zero monthly and paid a one time 100.00 USD fee for the loaded Firestick and some instruction on how to use it.  The only equipment that is included is the flash drive that plugs into the TV(Firestick) and a new remote which even includes a voice (Alexa) searching option...no typing required.

Alan

I have DirecTV up north and Shaw Direct when not in Seattle. Sure, I could stream and occasionally I do. But I have had satellite TV since the 1980s and I am used to getting things via satellite.  I just checked the TV channels on a receiver up north that is only pointed at the two older satellites you get down south (Not AniK G-1) and I didn't notice that any of my channels had disappeared. I can still get the Seattle, Detroit, CNN, FOX channels from the US and my regular Canadian channels.

If you are not getting all of the channels, what channels have you lost?

You might just need to fine tune your antenna. Something most of us need to do every few (to many) years.

Yes, one day the older satellites carrying the only channels one can get in Central Mexico, will die. We probably have a few more years left (I hope) but frankly no one knows how much longer we have left. One of the two older satellites could die next week, next year or perhaps five years from now. No one knows :( 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barrbower said:

Shaw is old tech and I think all sat TV along with cable will soon be gone.  Internet streaming is taking over.  We bought a loaded Amazon Firestick and have several live streaming TV options and several streaming providers for anything other than live...like movies and binge watching a series.  Works pretty well even with Telmex wifi but would be better with fiber optic which we'll get pretty soon.  We pay zero monthly and paid a one time 100.00 USD fee for the loaded Firestick and some instruction on how to use it.  The only equipment that is included is the flash drive that plugs into the TV(Firestick) and a new remote which even includes a voice (Alexa) searching option...no typing required.

Alan

" Works pretty well even with Telmex wifi but would be better with fiber optic which we'll get pretty soon" is not good enough for me.

Too many of my neighbours have quality problems with streaming.  Internet streaming is newer technology but it need simproving in many areas.

43 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Satellites are the dinosaurs of TV. I have 2 huge Dish TV dishes on top of my house...any offers???

No you have a dinosaur setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Satellites are the dinosaurs of TV. I have 2 huge Dish TV dishes on top of my house...any offers???

We had one on a house we owned in Riberas.  Salvage guy came and removed and took away no charge.  That was several years ago.

With improved internet in this area it seems to me streaming is the way to go now.  It works pretty well for us even with pokey TelMex internet.

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

We had one on a house we owned in Riberas.  Salvage guy came and removed and took away no charge.  That was several years ago.

With improved internet in this area it seems to me streaming is the way to go now.  It works pretty well for us even with pokey TelMex internet.

That is one of the problems with streaming-you have to deal with pokey Telmex internet. 

The problem with streaming, specifically to get live TV, is that the iptv services available here (Clear Choice is the current favorite) tend to have a short life. Maybe shorter than Shaw.

This is simply because they are streaming unlicensed content, and sooner or later the authorities catch up with them and shut them down.

I am a current Clear Choice user, but over the past few years I have had to switch to a new service every once in a while. I don't have great expectations for the longevity of Clear Choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

You're wrong as usual, and Cedros is right, yours is old - the newer sat tech is different of course than cable / fiber streaming but also still has many advantages.     

Why did Elon Musk just launch tons of them?    He's not my favourite person but his tech is usually bleeding edge.     

• Like 1

Musk launched satellites for internet, yes?  Not for TV.  What is being referred to here is TV via satellite.  Cable TV and satellite TV subscriptions are flat or declining.  Streaming is growing rapidly.  Among other reasons for that is the simplicity:  Many newer TVs can stream directly and for older ones ROKU and Apple TV provide the needed hardware very cheap and easy to set up.

In addition to that Shaw here has never been fully legal as their terms of service exclude Mexico.  People have come up with a number of work arounds but now, as Shaw puts up newer and more targeted satellites, more and more service is being lost.

Given what it costs to set up satellite to begin with, it is cheaper to get better internet service and stream now.

There are so many inexpensive ad free streaming services now, it is easy to get more specific to your tastes for the same or less money than satellite with a bunch of junk channels you'll never watch.  We just got a subscription to BritBox, a joint venture of the BBC and ITC, which is loaded with great ad free content.

Using a VPN we receive Amazon Prime and Netflix.  We have far more quality viewing with just a few channels than we would ever want to take the time to watch all of it.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Musk launched satellites for internet, yes?  Not for TV.  What is being referred to here is TV via satellite.  Cable TV and satellite TV subscriptions are flat or declining.  Streaming is growing rapidly.  Among other reasons for that is the simplicity:  Many newer TVs can stream directly and for older ones ROKU and Apple TV provide the needed hardware very cheap and easy to set up.

In addition to that Shaw here has never been fully legal as their terms of service exclude Mexico.  People have come up with a number of work arounds but now, as Shaw puts up newer and more targeted satellites, more and more service is being lost.

Given what it costs to set up satellite to begin with, it is cheaper to get better internet service and stream now.

There are so many inexpensive ad free streaming services now, it is easy to get more specific to your tastes for the same or less money than satellite with a bunch of junk channels you'll never watch.  We just got a subscription to BritBox, a joint venture of the BBC and ITC, which is loaded with great ad free content.

Using a VPN we receive Amazon Prime and Netflix.  We have far more quality viewing with just a few channels than we would ever want to take the time to watch all of it.

There is nothing for NHL hockey or CFL football. I tried finding.

22 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

There is nothing for NHL hockey or CFL football. I tried finding.

One can stream U.S. sports and networks now, via subscription.  Is there an ESPN Canada or equivalent you can subscribe to?

https://arrivein.com/daily-life-in-canada/best-canadian-sports-streaming-services-for-sports-fans/

All of our U.S. content does require a VPN however.  It seems Strong or Express VPN seem the best at getting around blocking.

18 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Is there an ESPN Canada or equivalent you can subscribe to?

https://arrivein.com/daily-life-in-canada/best-canadian-sports-streaming-services-for-sports-fans/

All of our U.S. content does require a VPN however.  It seems Strong or Express VPN seem the best at getting around blocking.

No. Couldn't do it through US sports provider without being a reg cable or sat customer. Did phone with NHL US trying to no avail.

I had an MLB subscription but cancelled it because most of the live games were in the afternoon when I'm napping. You STREAM the content on your laptop or desktop. If you want to "cast" it to your TV, the easiest way is with an HDMI cable from the HDMI port on your laptop to the HDMI port on the back of your TV. Simple and basic. You have to have a decent speed on your internet connection to avoid buffering.

Watch NHL Full Season Live Online on Your PC, iOS, Android and Mac. (digitaldirecttv.com)

The only thing we ever had Shaw for was sports and I choked on the price per month. I cancelled it in 2015. However, do what you're comfortable and familiar with doing.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Musk launched satellites for internet, yes?  Not for TV.  What is being referred to here is TV via satellite.

Yes but the basic technology argument is the same reason sat TV is still so popular everywhere.    No cord needed.     Each tech will probably leapfrog the other depending on the needs and location of the user.    SAT TV was the only way to go at lakeside for many years.     Still is in a lot of areas.     As for Shaw / StarChoice and being "legal" out of Canada....really?   Get serious.   First of all, that is a "term of service", not a law.    Second, each account can have up to 6 receivers on it.     That lowers the cost,  per receiver in use.     "Big wink".     

Old thread here explains it all.  Shaw is not licensed to broadcast in Mexico, it is not legal here.  If you think it is, try switching your service address to here and see what happens to your service. 

PM Pete Johansen (Mod 5) and he will explain it to you.

In any case, the newer satellites are focused on Canada and will not reach this far south.  When the old ones are turned off, so will you be.

Time to set up for streaming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cedros said:

No you have a dinosaur setup.

WHAAAAAAT!!! I am saving US$80 a month I was paying for the Dish TV basic package and now paying Zero, Zip, Nada for tons of programming (much more than with Dish) with NO outages during the rainy season...so who is the dinosaur???

8 hours ago, virgo lady said:

You're wrong as usual, and Cedros is right, yours is old - the newer sat tech is different of course than cable / fiber streaming but also still has many advantages.     

Why did Elon Musk just launch tons of them?    He's not my favourite person but his tech is usually bleeding edge.     

Please see my response to Cedros above. As usual YOU are the one clearly wrong here, plus check MC's post regarding your Elton Musk satellite's  comment...your response to that made no sense at all...FACTS, FACTS, only the FACTS please!!!