Chapala.com Webboard

Customs Agent for Importing Old Car

https://www.trade.gov/market-intelligence/mexico-import-regulations-used-vehicles

Over the 2005-2020 period, the importation of used vehicles reached 8.8 million units. Today, a private individual can import one used vehicle for his/her own use without an import license but it is still mandatory to comply with the current regulations and restrictions as per the recent decrees that evolved into a more complex import process. Companies can import more than one used vehicle but are required to obtain an import license and follow the current regulations and restrictions to import the vehicle as per the aforementioned recent changes.

Effective March 29, 2019, the Mexican government keeps in force the entry allowance of used vehicles from the United States and Canada, only if the importer falls into these two categories:

Persona Fisica: Private individuals can import one used vehicle during a twelve-month period without the requirement of registering with the “Padron de Importadores”, which is Mexico’s official importers’ registry. Once imported, vehicles must be registered in accordance with the Public Vehicle Registry Law (Repuve). If they need to import more than one used vehicle, they must be registered with the “Padron de Importadores” and have a RFC number (Federal Taxpayer’s Registration).

Does this apply to the new amnesty in Northern Mexico, eventually to land here too? Blatant vote grab after the farmers. 

Our handyman is from Chihauhua, his family still lives there. His van has Chihauhua plates. The other day he was pulled over for a shakedown, and it took over 4 hours to clear the paperwork. Apparently it is the State Police causing all these problems, especially on the carreteras.

3 hours ago, Sam Laundon said:

I am looking for a customs agent that deals with importing cars Lakeside or in Guadalajara. My car is 20 years old so the import duty should not be too high.

Unless things have really changed, your car may not qualify to come here. Age, type (sedan, SUV, etc), "luxury" or not, and a bunch of other things all used to come into effect, and many who had already brought cars here found they could not "legalize" them.  Do your homework now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam Laundon said:

I am looking for a customs agent that deals with importing cars Lakeside or in Guadalajara. My car is 20 years old so the import duty should not be too high.

I PRESUME you mean to keep it here?  Go to Forum "Customs and Immigration",  then to page 4.  Look for the topic about importing vehicles and read the entire thing.

This is a more up to date to the situation. Too bad it is in that Mexican News Daily Rag.  Other details will be in the Spanish language. There was a good article on Washington Post, but it is behind a paywall.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/illegal-used-car-amnesty-signed/https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/illegal-used-car-amnesty-signed/

16 minutes ago, Ferret said:

If the OP is permanente, the OP cannot bring in a foreign car no matter if it's made of chocolate or not. ;) That news is only for citizens or native born Mexicans.

Not quite correct.  If it is importable they can go through the expensive importing process and end up with a Mexico legal car they then have to get plates for in whatever state they live in.

What a permanente can't do is get a TIP and drive a U.S. plated vehicle in Mexico.  It has to be formally imported and plated here or no dice.

I can't envision any 20 year old car being worth the amazing expense and hassle.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

If the OP is permanente, the OP cannot bring in a foreign car no matter if it's made of chocolate or not. ;) That news is only for citizens or native born Mexicans.

Do you have a reference for that? I can't find one anywhere. Even if it is true, what is to stop a Mexican citizen bringing in a U S. plated vehicle, amnestying it, state plating it and then selling it to whomever comes up with the dubloons.

Okay. Now that my head is clearer. This is what I was attempting to say. If the OP is a permanente, he can't bring a car across the border UNLESS it is has been legally imported. So the whole concept of the car being in the country illegally AS a chocolate is not possible and, therefore, any amnesty for chocolate vehicles will never be applicable to him. Period.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ferret said:

Okay. Now that my head is clearer. This is what I was attempting to say. If the OP is a permanente, he can't bring a car across the border UNLESS it is has been legally imported. So the whole concept of the car being in the country illegally AS a chocolate is not possible and, therefore, any amnesty for chocolate vehicles will never be applicable to him. Period.

That is not what the OP is asking about. He wants to do it legally. Try reading again the OP.

• Sad 1

Called Vintage plates. 15 years or older, Canada, 25 years or older, U.S.A., 30 years or older Mexico. They do not have to meet vehicle emissions, except to the specifications to the year of manufacture. Might be a problem with a new engine though, did you get a California smog control certificate?

Mexicans love classic pickup trucks, and the labor for bodywork, sandblasting, mechanicals is so affordable here. I met two brothers from Jocotepec who have a whole yard full of restored classics, imported as salvage from California. They know how to get that tag off the paperwork. Everything is very different down here, especially when it comes to car culture. You can buy legal paperwork, vintags badging, etc for about 3,000 pesos. Classics are much easier because they don't have VIN numbers all over the place.

https://www.bidndrive.com/salvage-cars-auction/classics.html

On 1/27/2022 at 9:29 AM, Sam Laundon said:

The nationalization process is done by a licensed importer. They are located in border cities. You must take the vehicle to the border. The broker will export the vehicle from the USA. You "sell" it to the broker & he "sells" it back to you. He then has it inspected for safety & smog and drives it to Aduana in Mexico and performs the importation process. You then need a one trip permit to drive it to here. Then you take it to GDL to be inspected, pay Jalisco taxes on the value of the vehicle, and a new license fee. 

You will need 2-3 days in the border city.  You can expect to spend  $2500 plus for the importation and then the taxes here.

There is no other legal method to nationalize a vehicle for Jalisco. 

I have used Quality Imports in Laredo a few times     956 727 7880     https://quality-imports.com/

Another is Hermanos Cuevos  956 727 7880  https://loshermanoscuevas.negocio.site/

• Like 1