Chapala.com Webboard

Switching to TexMex Fiber Optics

We are in SE Ajijic.  Currently getting WiFi over a second phone line.  For a while it looked like that would speed up to an acceptable level but now that seems unlikely.

I am certain we have TelMex fiber optic in the street, 16 de Septiembre.

We currently run two modems, the TelMex modem and a second Buffalo modem for our VPN which supports our streaming services.

We are paying 599 per month for the wifi and the phone line.  We don't really need the second phone line as we are backed up with cell phones.

Anyone who has switched from over the phone line TelMex wifi to fiber optic, could you briefly summarize what was involved?  

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

To switch to Telmex fiber optic is a phone call or visit to the local office. It is free to install (if you have no complications) and is the same price as their regular packages. 

Do they have to run a new line into the house or do they connect to the existing line at the curb?

The existing copper line is replaced by a fiber optic cable.

As an added benefit, all the copper line extension telephone jacks you may have in the house will no longer work. Your land line is now VOIP allowing a single phone connection at the modem. Portable phone only.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

As an added benefit, all the copper line extension telephone jacks you may have in the house will no longer work. Your land line is now VOIP allowing a single phone connection at the modem. Portable phone only.

We have two phone lines, as long as they replace only the one and do not bother the other nothing should change.  

Will there be issues connecting the VPN modem to the fiber optic Telmex modem?

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

We have two phone lines, as long as they replace only the one and do not bother the other nothing should change.  

I don't know if it's the same here but a copper telephone cable has 4 wires. A single phone line uses 2 of them, let's say red and green. If your house has 2 lines then the black and yellow in that same cable is where the second signal comes from. 

If Telmex cuts the existing line you would lose both connections unless of course Telmex works differently than US copper connections. 

Check it out before Telmex makes any cuts. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

I don't know if it's the same here but a copper telephone cable has 4 wires. A single phone line uses 2 of them, let's say red and green. If your house has 2 lines then the black and yellow in that same cable is where the second signal comes from. 

If Telmex cuts the existing line you would lose both connections unless of course Telmex works differently than US copper connections. 

Check it out before Telmex makes any cuts. 

Yes, that is the usual case, good point.

However in our case the second phone line was installed later and run separately.  Lucky for us.

I take it you have TelMex fiber optic?  How has that worked for you?  What speed are you getting at what cost?

Appreciate your feedback, John.

I have ILOX in Ajijic and am very satisfied with the service. I installed Telmex fiber in my Guayabitos house last year. I had to drive to Bucerias to place the order but it was installed promptly. The old line was cut.

In the beginning the speed was generally 28mb during the day. This was the $381 plan. However at about 6pm the speeds consistently dropped off. Sometimes down to 10mb which still allowed streaming but often down to 4 which did not. 

On this trip the speeds are now 50mb. I think I saw someone post here that they got a notice from Telmex  saying speeds would improve for the same price. No notice here but speeds are up and the evening drop disappeared. Every location is different of course but after a rocky start Telmex improved. No outages either so they can provide a decent product every now and then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Shrall said:

The installer connected my pre existing copper cable to the modem. All phone outlets in the house work.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The installer connected my pre existing copper cable to the modem. All phone outlets in the house work.

That's interesting. The back of my big black Nokia modem has 2 slots Tel1 and Tel2 but when connecting the portable phone to Tel1 the VOIP light is illuminated on the front. 

When I ported my local phone number from ILOX back to Telmex in Ajijic there was no option to use the existing copper line. They installed a modem and said sorry, VOIP only. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Yes, that is the usual case, good point.

However in our case the second phone line was installed later and run separately.  Lucky for us.

I take it you have TelMex fiber optic?  How has that worked for you?  What speed are you getting at what cost?

Appreciate your feedback, John.

The install was quick and easy. The second modem can be connected to the Telmex FO modem with a cat 5 cable. The phone situation was easily solved by plugging a base unit into the modem's phone slot. The various extensions (3) all work well and have charger bases. I actually have a two line wireless phone. I have line one on the base plugged into the FO modem and the line two is off my magic jack. This gives me a local US line on every handset and a Telmex local line on every handset.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:29 AM, John Shrall said:

...... all the copper line extension telephone jacks you may have in the house will no longer work. Your land line is now VOIP allowing a single phone connection at the modem. Portable phone only.

Not necessarily true. If you connect the phone outlet on the modem to the nearest wall phone socket, all the jacks in the house will work with existing phones.

What I am trying to determine is what the cost is to the customer for conversion from current system to fiber optics?

Our Fraac is saying that it will incur a substantial cost to convert to Telmex fiber optics, as well as the property owners .  They are indicating that eventually the copper system will wear out and all streaming systems, etc will require fiber optics. 

Thanks for your helpful information.  

6 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

What I am trying to determine is what the cost is to the customer for conversion from current system to fiber optics?

Our Fraac is saying that it will incur a substantial cost to convert to Telmex fiber optics, as well as the property owners .  They are indicating that eventually the copper system will wear out and all streaming systems, etc will require fiber optics. 

Thanks for your helpful information.  

Telmex does not charge for the change. There are some fraccs that had to pay Telmex to install the fiber in their streets and they charge each homeowner to switch to pay for the  cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1