Chapala.com Webboard

coffee on laptop - repair service?

feewee

I wonder if anyone can repair it. I spilled wine on a brandnew keyboard of a desktop. Dried it out and the keys were all mixed up. It did not type the key that you touched. The repair place told me to buy a new one. 

And the moral of these stories is never to have a drink on the surface of where you are working online. If you want to sip a coffee, tea, or glass of wine while you're working, pull up a chair or small table next to you that is lower than the surface where your keyboard is to put your drink on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

And the moral of these stories is never to have a drink on the surface of where you are working online. If you want to sip a coffee, tea, or glass of wine while you're working, pull up a chair or small table next to you that is lower than the surface where your keyboard is to put your drink on. 

Or have a large enough puter table so that your drink isn't over your keyboard.

my stough 016.jpg

When it does happen, he won't be telling anyone.

I also recommend Reuben at Computerland. One of my dogs knocked a cup of coffee in my hand and it splashed up onto the laptop screen (not the keyboard). A 17 inch screen. I cleaned it up immediately and continued on. The screen however starting fading to black over the course of the next few weeks but only half the screen. Reuben got the 17 inch screen from Guadalajara and installed it. Took a total of three days.

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

It is an accident waiting to happen,, when it does, I will tell you I told you so...

Look again. If it does happen it won't hit the keyboard-it will hit the mouse which won't do any damage. No spills like you and the other grinches suggest since I've been at this desk for 15+ years and my drinks have always been in the same spot.

Thanks everyone - For sure not having liquids around electronics is the best way to ensure these kinds of things don't happen.  In this case, horse has already left the barn. 😞

The "patient" is undergoing surgery with Luis Algavin - his shop is in the same complex as Pancho's Deli and Market. No prognosis yet...hoping to at least recover the data if not the actual laptop. 

Recommendation for Ruben is much appreciated.  I am sure he is very good but we had already made contact with Luis, who appears to also know his stuff. 

There is a rubberized, flexible keyboard which is waterproof. Originally purchased in Puerto Vallarta, and replaced with the same here.

Working in broadcasting or sound mixers it is ingrained to never drink liquids over the electronics. If you do, you are gone, as in fired.