Chapala.com Webboard

USA Passport renewal

lakeside7

You didn't mention nationally, but if this helps, I renewed my U.S. passport one year ago, January 2021. I went to the U.S. embassy in Guadalajara with my old passport, my Mexico papers (which I don't think I needed), the DS-82 form, and a new photo. The photos have different size requirements than photos used for Mexican ID stuff, so you need to let the photo place know. 

Anyway, it went smoothly and the embassy mailed me the new passport a couple of weeks later. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/outside-us.html

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I need to renew my passport asap, would appreciate hearing from people with recent experience

Not that this is what you might plan on doing instead but.....  don't plan on renewing from within the USA. THAT lead time is north of 18 weeks!  From experience!

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Did you send it to the Guadalajara Consulate?

Did you send it to the US Consulate office in Guadalajara......and how recently, thanks

Yes, pretty easy. Recommend going to Ishop when you have everything ready, they know the routine. I sent mine about ten days ago and the people at Ishop said to expect a return in about 6 weeks ( i guess thats what they are seeing )

Hubby just renewed his via mail w/the Consulate in Guad and from start to finish it was 2 weeks. It was Fedex'd up and back (you prepay) and worth every penny. Just go to the website and it'll tell you what to do.

FWIW, the staff at the Consulate are amazing. They did my SSN application over the phone (this was pre-COVID) and I wish I could remember the woman's name because she was AWESOME. It went like clockwork. The staff that works there seems to really care about helping  customers and making things go as smoothly as possible for you. Another 2 thumbs up for the USA Consulate in Guadalajara! 

On 1/18/2022 at 9:35 AM, addtocart said:

Well, actually, it says US in the title, but I digress.  You can go through the Kabuki dance at the embassy or just do it by mail:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

As long as we're pointing out errors, there is no US Embassy in Guadalajara. It's a Consulate General.  The Embassy remains in Mexico City. Now, that felt good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Tingting said:

Hubby just renewed his via mail w/the Consulate in Guad and from start to finish it was 2 weeks. It was Fedex'd up and back (you prepay) and worth every penny. Just go to the website and it'll tell you what to do.

FWIW, the staff at the Consulate are amazing. They did my SSN application over the phone (this was pre-COVID) and I wish I could remember the woman's name because she was AWESOME. It went like clockwork. The staff that works there seems to really care about helping  customers and making things go as smoothly as possible for you. Another 2 thumbs up for the USA Consulate in Guadalajara! 

One of our students is actually a dual citizen and will be getting her U.S. Passport in Mexico City in May since GDL simply seems impossible to get an appointment.  I am assuming she will need to take a prepaid FedEx envelope with her so they can mail it to her at home in Oaxaca when ready.

Where would I find the instructions for that mailer?  We want to get this right the first time as it will be a long haul to Mexico City and she only wants to do it once.