Chapala.com Webboard

Paquete Telcel Viajero

Frijoles

We use Telcel paquete amigo sin limite in Canada and the US. In the US it defaults to t-mobile networks which are spotty on our travels, but depending on the phone, you can override and switch to at&t networks. In Canada telcel uses rogers networks. Happy with it.

Interesting...I have T-Mobile and find it about as good as anyone on the main thoroughfares in the US. (Can't comment on Northern US as haven't traveled there lately but in the West, Midwest and South I've had no coverage problems)

In the boonies I believe that Verizon has the best coverage. Can't comment on AT&T as I have not used them in a decade or more.

T-Mobile absolutely reigns king for 5G coverage but most folks don't have a 5G phone... yet.  I do and all I can say is.... WOW.

Telcel/T-Mobile coverage in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho was pretty much non-existent during a road trip last August. Traveling companions with US AT&T phones had no problems except for really remote areas or inside national park boundaries.

What I don't know is if it lack of cell coverage by T-Mobile or the agreement between the 2 carriers that might limit a Telcel phone used in that part of the country. 

I use T-Mobile in Wyoming.....  but I agree it is sparsely covered. Last summer I had to go on a muddy 4WD road to the top of a mountain pass to pick up service that was not available lower where I was camping. But then NO ONE had coverage where I was camping. 

Coverage... or lack thereof... in a LOT of places in the West is problematic due to sparsely populated areas of some magnitude. No one is going to have much coverage for a few mountain goats or marmots or rainbow trout. They just don't seem to have joined the 21st Century... the animals nor the human inhabitants.  😎

My camping spot....

image.png.ae7de578f7da2c3cbffac38eb3a76de2.png

I also have always used my normal Sin Limites paquete when in Canada, and can't figure out in what way this Paquete Viajero is advantageous.

However, when I was in Canada this summer, I found it problematic at times. Sometimes it would say I had no time left, then it would start working again. I couldn't send SMSs at all. And sometimes I had to set it on roaming, and other times not. It was all quite unexplainable, and I never had those issues on previous Canadian trips. 

I am going to go into Telcel and talk to someone who speaks fluent English before my next trip north to see if I can get some coherent explanation.

Well, I don't have the  Sin Limites paquete. I use my landline for long distance calls and just put 100 pesos on my cell every 2 months - I obviously don't use it a lot - but I will probably need to use it more when I go to Texas, ergo my question about the Paquete Viajero. How much is the Sin Limites paquete? Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

How much is the Sin Limites paquete? Thanks.

Not a set amount- you can choose from various amounts that last longer and provide more data. For instance, 100 pesos gives you 17 days, I think, with 2 GB data. 150 pesos gives you 28 days with 3 GBs. And so on.

If you have Whatsapp on your phone, though, you can use that for free calling and texting anywhere as long as you are gettinng a Wifi signal.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Not a set amount- you can choose from various amounts that last longer and provide more data. For instance, 100 pesos gives you 17 days, I think, with 2 GB data. 150 pesos gives you 28 days with 3 GBs. And so on.

If you have Whatsapp on your phone, though, you can use that for free calling and texting anywhere as long as you are gettinng a Wifi signal.

So, I could just get the Sin Limite for the time that I'm in Texas and then go back to my normal usage when I return to Mexico? I do have WhatsApp, but I may have to make long non-WhatsApp calls to Canada while in Texas, so roaming charges would really add up.

34 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

So, I could just get the Sin Limite for the time that I'm in Texas and then go back to my normal usage when I return to Mexico? I do have WhatsApp, but I may have to make long non-WhatsApp calls to Canada while in Texas, so roaming charges would really add up.

There are no roaming fees, and no long distance rates to call from / to the US or Canada or Mexico using the amigo sin limite plan.

• Thanks 1