Chapala.com Webboard

Better masks

cedros

13 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

What are talking about?  Anytime you cover your nose and mouth you are reducing the amount of oxygen going in.  Thats why most people just slide them down on their chin, they get tired of being suffocated.  

FALSE.   MISLEADING.      

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7490318/

The fundamental aim of this study is to determine the effects of prolonged usage of N95 respirators and surgical facemasks amid health care workers in our institution. Cross-sectional study. SRM medical college hospital, Kattankulathur. A self-constructed questionnaire containing 20 queries regarding the effects of prolonged use of face masks, after being analysed by the experts of our institution were handed over to 250 participants.. All participants wore either surgical masks or N95 respirators for a minimum of 4 h per day. People aged between 20 and 48 years were selected for this study. Study period was from 20/07/2020 to 26/07/2020. Completed questionnaires were sent for statistical analysis. A total of 250 healthcare workers participated in the study, out of which 179 were females. The acquired results were excessive sweating around the mouth accounting to 67.6%, difficulty in breathing on exertion 58.2%, acne 56.0% and itchy nose 52.0%. This study suggests that prolonged use of facemasks induces difficulty in breathing on exertion and excessive sweating around the mouth to the healthcare workers which results in poorer adherence and increased risk of susceptibility to infection.

Results

A total of 250 health care workers were given the questionnaire of which females were 71.6% (176) and males were 28.4% (71). All the 250 health care workers were included in the final analysis.The mean age group was 25.843 (Age range 20–48). Of these 250 participants, 48.8% experienced generalised nasal discomfort, 30.3% dry nose, 26.1% burning sensation in the nose, about 52.0% developed itchy nose, 56.0% acne in the face, 39.0% experienced redness on the face and 67.6% developed excessive sweating around the mouth (Tables (Tables1,1, ,2).2). These symptoms were mainly caused due to the hot and humid air in the dead space beneath the mask in comparison to the ambient temperature. About 30.0% developed pain on the nose and 45.2% had pain behind the ear which are possibly due to the tight fitting masks (Table (Table3).3). In Table Table4,4, about 58.2% of the participants developed trouble breathing on exertion while wearing masks which is probably due to the tight mask causing hypercapnic hypoxic environment leading to numerous physiological alterations such as cardio-respiratory stress and metabolic shift. The rest of the symptoms in Table Table44 such as dry mouth sensation accounting to 35.3%, halitosis about 22.4%, sore throat attributing to 25.2% are likely due to inadequate consumption of water during prolonged usage of facemask. A small proportion of healthcare workers were observed with the symptoms of altered smell (7.2%), sense of nasal stuffiness (30.4%), nasal block (22.9%), cracking sensation (9.6%), crusting in the nose (15.7%) and blood on tissue paper (1.6%) (Tables 5, ,6).6). Despite our study’s strength, including comprehensive search strategy for data and literature a thorough assessment should be done to improve the quality of evidence by using validated tools.After performing a z-proportion test we found all the complaints except those of Q1 and Q3, statistically significant beyond the usual alpha-level of 0.05. Figure Figure1 shows1 shows the percentage of symptoms in the participants.

• Like 1

You're comparing health care workers with the  general population? They have to wear those masks throughout their shift which is about 12 hours when caring for Covid patients... day in and day out. Unlike the rest of us who have to wear for at most an hour a few days a week. Or, if you actually cared about them, you would get vaccinated so your chances of them having to care for you and wear the damn mask would decrease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

hypercapnic hypoxic environment leading to numerous physiological alterations such as cardio-respiratory stress and metabolic shift. 

Wow, i was a respiratory therapist for about 5 years and I had never heard of such bullshit. « Hypercapnic hypoxic »? Wow, amazing, what words!  Someone went way out of their way to impress the functional illiterates who would read this.  Metabolic shift? Nasal block? Cracking sensation?  Halitosis?  That’s bad breath, gotta watch out for that.

very impressive study!  PT Barnum would be proud.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You're comparing health care workers with the  general population? They have to wear those masks throughout their shift which is about 12 hours when caring for Covid patients... day in and day out. Unlike the rest of us who have to wear for at most an hour a few days a week. Or, if you actually cared about them, you would get vaccinated so your chances of them having to care for you and wear the damn mask would decrease.

I'm not comparing anything.  This is a fully credentialed study.  The time of wearing was 4 hours.  Read it.  This is about the medical grade masks you all are discussing, which is why it is germane.  It is also germane since CDC has confirmed loose fitting cloth masks are pretty useless.  

Above, find the usual non response.  40 years as an RN and can't even do minimal research or apparently understand and comment intelligently when she sees it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

This is a fully credentialed study. 

Both quotes you posted, say nothing about oxygen levels.     And they use the words "suggest" in one, and "probably" in the other.     Heavier breathing on exertion?    Ummmm....who doesn't breath heavier, on exertion?     While we all can agree it is not fun to wear a mask for 12 to 16 hours....or even 4.....there really not much in these that is relevant to the false claims made in other posts about oxygen levels.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

It is also germane since CDC has confirmed loose fitting cloth masks are pretty useless.  

Why do you keep banging on about loose fitting cloth masks? Anyone with a brain in their head doesn't need a CDC confirmation to know that any mask which doesn't fit well, or is just one layer of porous material isn't going to provide adequate protection. 

• Like 3

The dental supply store in Centro Laguna, the part that is across from Walmart has good quality masks. The dentist, next door, Dra. Candy is his wife. He knows what he is doing (Canadian of course, ☺☺) we ordered a Waterpik from him that is unavailable in Mexico. His disposable surgical masks claim 99.9 effect.

My solution, after not recommended to drive, and selling my beloved 4 x4, I have all the distractions in the canyons of my mind. Hah!

Another big problem for health care workers is sweaty hands from long term use of gloves. Painful dermatitis, etc. The solution is to buy silicone barrier cream, in Mexico called Bepanthen. It is used for babies to prevent diaper rash. Then you have to import white cotton inspection gloves with fingers that are free, or just cut them with scissor. Wear them under your latex or, preferably, nitrile gloves. When they get soaking wet, change the cotton liners and hang them up to dry. They are difficult to wash because it is easy to accidently shrink them. Maybe soak them and wring them out to remove perspiration.

Another problem is sore feet from standing too long. If I was a supervisor, wanting to keep workers on board, I would gift each ot them heated, vibrating foot baths. If they are carrying too much weight they might consider compression stockings, which have to be custom fitted. My Vascular Surgeon told me that the heart has difficulty moving blood from your feet back to your heart, you must flex your foot muscles and calf muscles to help the blood flow.

Hope this helps someone!

• Like 1

850,000 dead Americans with the "Kung fu 'cold virus' that is all going away tomorrow" and two years later we still have Americans denying the importance of masks and social distancing.  

Seriously?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Antivaxxers also keep shifting their arguments. Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine are no longer their go to medication of first choice. They seem to be reaching out for weirder and weirder alternatives.

and even though their arguments keep shifting they are very vigilant in watching for anything Fauci or the CDC says that they can criticize 

the physiology of breathing is very mathematically precise. Measurements can be made of every aspect of the breathing cycle. You can immediately determine when a « supposed » expert starts coming out with anti mask statement if there is any validity to what he is saying.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, Jreboll said:

Antivaxxers also keep shifting their arguments. Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine are no longer their go to medication of first choice. They seem to be reaching out for weirder and weirder alternatives.

and even though their arguments keep shifting they are very vigilant in watching for anything Fauci or the CDC says that they can criticize 

the physiology of breathing is very mathematically precise. Measurements can be made of every aspect of the breathing cycle. You can immediately determine when a « supposed » expert starts coming out with anti mask statement if there is any validity to what he is saying.  

Of course ; I'm an anti vaxxer--I still stick to my story !!----"NO"-- HA--one problem; I ain't dead---It's a miracle---HA--I haven't been shot up since 1968 from the US ARMY--marched through the hall jabbed with air pistoles in each arm jabbed  with dozens of who knows what-and entering the air on the other side jumping like Mexican jumping beans---HA--I'm a little gun shy??  ya think??--HA

On 1/15/2022 at 10:03 PM, Kiko said:

850,000 dead Americans with the "Kung fu 'cold virus' that is all going away tomorrow" and two years later we still have Americans denying the importance of masks and social distancing.  

Seriously?  

Yes; seriously --You been scammed and too ashamed to admit --HA

On 1/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, mudgirl said:

Why do you keep banging on about loose fitting cloth masks? Anyone with a brain in their head doesn't need a CDC confirmation to know that any mask which doesn't fit well, or is just one layer of porous material isn't going to provide adequate protection. 

Congrats MUD--you solved all the problems--you are a genius--solution ?--plastic bag over your head until you sufficate to death --problem solved---HA-you  just  handidly buy your self defeated COVID---"BRILLIANT"----HA

On 1/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, Mainecoons said:

I'm not comparing anything.  This is a fully credentialed study.  The time of wearing was 4 hours.  Read it.  This is about the medical grade masks you all are discussing, which is why it is germane.  It is also germane since CDC has confirmed loose fitting cloth masks are pretty useless.  

Above, find the usual non response.  40 years as an RN and can't even do minimal research or apparently understand and comment intelligently when she sees it.

Nope-- you've been conquered--we are in a war----Covid is the bullet--look who is behind the gun--that's your enemy---HA

56 minutes ago, bobby brown said:

Nope-- you've been conquered--we are in a war----Covid is the bullet--look who is behind the gun--that's your enemy---HA

I moved to Mexico ?; of course; to get away of these lunatics in the US--any baggage I brought from there; I left it at the border---I've gone "native"--

On 1/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, CHILLIN said:

The dental supply store in Centro Laguna, the part that is across from Walmart has good quality masks. The dentist, next door, Dra. Candy is his wife. He knows what he is doing (Canadian of course, ☺☺) we ordered a Waterpik from him that is unavailable in Mexico. His disposable surgical masks claim 99.9 effect.

My solution, after not recommended to drive, and selling my beloved 4 x4, I have all the distractions in the canyons of my mind. Hah!

Who dat--

On 1/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, Jreboll said:

Wow, i was a respiratory therapist for about 5 years and I had never heard of such bullshit. « Hypercapnic hypoxic »? Wow, amazing, what words!  Someone went way out of their way to impress the functional illiterates who would read this.  Metabolic shift? Nasal block? Cracking sensation?  Halitosis?  That’s bad breath, gotta watch out for that.

very impressive study!  PT Barnum would be proud.

No wonder people can't keep up--the world has gone insane !

On 1/15/2022 at 9:53 AM, Ferret said:

Sorry Ferret--I'm not my brothers keeper--Man up !!--we are on our own--As for me?

DELETED  BY MOD5......................................................................

--in their place---"MANO Y MANO"---HA

On 1/15/2022 at 9:53 AM, Ferret said:

Well: the care workers are screwed--I' sorry--