Chapala.com Webboard

Better masks

cedros

I have a self contained breathing apparatus from 3M. It has 4 HEPA cartridges on the belt worn blower. It blows purified cool air down your face. If you are working in very hot situations, you can run the tube through a cooler filled with ice. My one is not as Darth Vader as this one. So many accessories now, like hard hats, welding helmets and Peltor sound blocker earphones with built in radio communications.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/respiratory-protection-us/products/papr/

We test the fit of masks by using banana oil. If people are not masked correctly, they smell bananas when the bottle is passed around the mask.

I got 100% tax write off for health and safety gear. I used to order a lot from Lab Safety, but I haven't visited them for years.

3 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I bought an N95 mask from Dr Sam's office. I read several places that we non-medical personal can clean them by airing them out 48 hours between wearings. 

Where is his office?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Good luck on N95  95% are sold to Drs & hispitals(USA Certification)  Lots of availability on KN95 (Chinese certification) Both are certified to block 95% 

09.jpeg

Certified by CDC? 

Just remember that an N95 gives SOME protection to the wearer, but it ONLY protects the wearer, not anybody around the wearer (upon exhale). 

So for all you obsessive types who call non-maskers "selfish", it doesn't matter. The only mask that's gonna protect the people around you FROM YOU, is a military-grade double respirator, the ones that make you look like a praying mantis. 

Go check out the NIOSH website under filtration. Ha-ha. Besides, I'm not responsible to protect you, and you're not responsible to protect me. I will protect me. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Honorandfaith said:

Just remember that an N95 gives SOME protection to the wearer, but it ONLY protects the wearer, not anybody around the wearer (upon exhale). 

So for all you obsessive types who call non-maskers "selfish", it doesn't matter. The only mask that's gonna protect the people around you FROM YOU, is a military-grade double respirator, the ones that make you look like a praying mantis. 

Go check out the NIOSH website under filtration. Ha-ha. Besides, I'm not responsible to protect you, and you're not responsible to protect me. I will protect me. 

None of that 'do unto others' or 'you have done it to the least of these my brethren' nonsense for you. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

Could you give a verifiable link to a study or medical opinion to back up this statement?

What I read are many studies and comments like this:  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/01/11/fact-check-post-surgical-masks-covid-19-missing-context/9101241002/

and this:

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

15 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

This whole quote above is false and misleading.      Masks DO protect those around the wearer, it is well and long proven.     

Just like peeing, with or without pants on.        

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, oregontochapala said:

I am very satisfied with the KN 95's I buy from Amazon, 50/carton, individually wrapped.

It is far better to get an affordable, good fitting mask that you don't have to fuss with, and to change it often, than to get an expensive, ill fitting mask that you wear for weeks before forking out a fortune for another one. That's my $2 pesos worth; don't rag on me, please. 

I bought a N95 mask at Laguna Mall in San Antonio at Dr. Candy's office and tried it for hours. Less comfortable to use than the KN95 as it is a snugger fit so maybe more effective.

Just remember that in Mexico it is Much Easier to pass off "fake" masks as real, especially if not from the US or Korea (verifiable). I.E. what you buy here is probably 'Fake" and that includes those from Amazon that you ordered. Suerte. I was just offered some attractive KF94 from "Korea" for 10 p each, if I bought 10. Upon inspecting the "certificate closely inside the package, they were made in 'china". Fake as a 15p bill. :D Real KF94 run about $1.79 each USD.

The dental supply store in Centro Laguna, the part that is across from Walmart has good quality masks. The dentist, next door, Dra. Candy is his wife. He knows what he is doing (Canadian of course, ☺☺) we ordered a Waterpik from him that is unavailable in Mexico. His disposable surgical masks claim 99.9 effect.

My solution, after not recommended to drive, and selling my beloved 4 x4, I have all the distractions in the canyons of my mind. Hah!

For what it is worth, when I was very sick with covid, my friend moved into my house to care for me. I was helpless; could not pour a cup of water. We both wore surgical masks, the kind which provide 75% protection in the graph. My friend did NOT become infected. To test a mask for the possibility of protecting others, put it on and blow out a candle - that simple.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

You can't blow a candle?  Sounds like oxygen deprivation to me.  I have trouble breathing well with just the cloth ones.

Feeling like you can't breathe well in a mask is psychological, it isn't that you actually can't breathe. Oxygen molecules are far tinier than Covid particles, and oxygen can move quite adequately through a mask. 

Considering that Tim and his caretaker are fine now, they obviously didn't suffer from oxygen deprivation.

22 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Thats why most people just slide them down on their chin, they get tired of being suffocated.  

Look, I doubt that anyone loves wearing a mask, but they aren't "suffocating" anyone. No, you are not reducing the amount of oxygen by wearing a mask. As I said, oxygen molecules are tiny and can flow freely through a mask. 

Read the science- your ideas about this are not based in fact.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, oregontochapala said:

I am very satisfied with the KN 95's I buy from Amazon, 50/carton, individually wrapped.

It is far better to get an affordable, good fitting mask that you don't have to fuss with, and to change it often, than to get an expensive, ill fitting mask that you wear for weeks before forking out a fortune for another one. That's my $2 pesos worth; don't rag on me, please. 

I like those one. They could be Chinese.

• Haha 1