Chapala.com Webboard

Double edge safety razor

dcstroker

Getting tired of paying for cartridges and the waste. I've looked in all the usual places, Guadalajara Pharmacy, Walmart, Soriana. All they carry are cartridge razors. Any ideas or where to look? If anyone has an old DE razor that they no longer use I'd be happy to pay you for it.

14 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

When I was 22yo (about a century ago) I borrowed a razor, put a brand new blade in it and shaved with it.  About a week later I came down with hepatitis B and have live with the consequences ever since.  My advice is to never use a razor that has been used by someone else.

Oh for pete's sake. Soak the thing in alcohol to sterilize it.

16 hours ago, Jreboll said:

When I was 22yo (about a century ago) I borrowed a razor, put a brand new blade in it and shaved with it.  About a week later I came down with hepatitis B and have live with the consequences ever since.  My advice is to never use a razor that has been used by someone else.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the dangers of using a used razor but am also aware that with simple sterilization procedures there is no problem. Sorry you had a bad experience. Some razors can get rather expensive so there is a market for used ones.

13 hours ago, ibarra said:

I am aware of Amazon. I've already added a razor to my cart for when we go up to the states in March. For some reason AmazonMx won't deliver to my house.

Thanks for the replies, I was just hoping to find a source for DE razors down here. I'm not brave enough to shave my head with a straight razor. For those of you who got to barbers here what kind of razors do they use?

Just so you know, you don't have to have Amazon Mexico or Amazon U.S. deliver to your house. You can have it sent to iShop and just pick it up when it's convenient for you. Cost is 30 pesos per package. I have been doing this for three years now. If whatever you want can be shipped to Mexico, they are your best and most convenient choice.

We have used Ishop's address in Laredo several times for Amazon and for other vendors.  Each package we received lakeside was a different price as the packages were different sizes and different weights.   You do not have to have an account with them to use this service.  

FYI  Mercado LIbre has several choices too:   https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-946890525-afeitadora-de-seguridad-de-doble-filo-afeitadora-clasica-_JM#position=5&search_layout=grid&type=item&tracking_id=58ef27b4-6a5d-44d2-a073-158816a8d0bc

57 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the dangers of using a used razor but am also aware that with simple sterilization procedures there is no problem. Sorry you had a bad experience. Some razors can get rather expensive so there is a market for used ones.

I am aware of Amazon. I've already added a razor to my cart for when we go up to the states in March. For some reason AmazonMx won't deliver to my house.

Thanks for the replies, I was just hoping to find a source for DE razors down here. I'm not brave enough to shave my head with a straight razor. For those of you who got to barbers here what kind of razors do they use?

Years ago I had an aunt in Monterrey who made extra money by giving injections. She used the same needle over and over again. She felt that by washing and « sterilizing » it she was avoiding any danger of cross infections.  I took her a box of 100 sterile  disposable needles and asked to please not use them more than once.

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

We have used Ishop's address in Laredo several times for Amazon and for other vendors.  Each package we received lakeside was a different price as the packages were different sizes and different weights.   You do not have to have an account with them to use this service.  

FYI  Mercado LIbre has several choices too:   https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-946890525-afeitadora-de-seguridad-de-doble-filo-afeitadora-clasica-_JM#position=5&search_layout=grid&type=item&tracking_id=58ef27b4-6a5d-44d2-a073-158816a8d0bc

Just to clarify... I use iShop's San Antonio address and purchase things from Amazon Mexico AND Amazon U.S. On the U.S. site it must state clearly "ships to Mexico". If it does not then you're out of luck. Amazon U.S. charges you for the IVA and the shipping (they also credit you if they overcharge) ... iShop charges a flat 30 pesos for receiving it. I bought a laptop with Amazon U.S. It was shipped to iShop San Antonio ... flat 30 pesos to receive it. 

p.s. the Amazon U.S. site will only state "ships to Mexico" on items IF your default address is one in Mexico.

48 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Just to clarify... I use iShop's San Antonio address and purchase things from Amazon Mexico AND Amazon U.S. On the U.S. site it must state clearly "ships to Mexico". If it does not then you're out of luck. Amazon U.S. charges you for the IVA and the shipping (they also credit you if they overcharge) ... iShop charges a flat 30 pesos for receiving it. I bought a laptop with Amazon U.S. It was shipped to iShop San Antonio ... flat 30 pesos to receive it. 

p.s. the Amazon U.S. site will only state "ships to Mexico" on items IF your default address is one in Mexico.

Good to know. I tried Amazon Mx once more and they said they will ship it to my house. We shall see, nice to have another option though.

7 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

Good to know. I tried Amazon Mx once more and they said they will ship it to my house. We shall see, nice to have another option though.

ISHOP will give you their address in Laredo to use as the address for your shipment/s.  You use your name, their address.  It can take 2 - 3 weeks for items to actually arrive lakeside if they need to go through customs.  We alert ISHOP that we have package/s on the way and give them our email address and/or phone to contact us when the package/s arrive.  If you want to receive just a letter or mail, it usually takes 7 - 10 days to arrive here from Laredo.

35 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Many choices on the U.S. site and the majority ship to Mexico... Amazon.com : double edge safety razor

Make your default address: your name c/o iShop, Carr. Chapala-Jocotepec #144, San Antonio Tlayacapan, Chapala, Jalisco, 45900

Thanks for the address. I've already ordered one from AmazonMx., being sent to  my house.

• Like 1