Chapala.com Webboard

smog check hell coming ?

ea93105

I finally got a smog check on a vehicle I'm trying to get Jalisco plates for and when I gave the certificate to Luis at Spencer's office he said that soon smog checks will be required twice per year ! Just passing on what he told me and if true it will be a major PIA considering the millions of vehicles all needing to get smog checks at very few locations. It took months to get my appointment. What is the official ticket amount for not having up to date smog again ?

9 hours ago, Stream said:

If I'm reading this right, I need t get an appointment and the tests are ONLY done in Guadalajara.

Is this right?

There is no way I can drive into Guadalajara w/o having a nervous breakdown. So I need a driver. And what happens, as is typical in Mexico, if/when I get there, the usual SNSFU occurs?  I have to come back to Chapala and start as Square One?

Better to "donate" $200.00 to the cop stopping me.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:14 AM, Eric Blair said:

If I'm reading this right, I need t get an appointment and the tests are ONLY done in Guadalajara.

Is this right?

There is no way I can drive into Guadalajara w/o having a nervous breakdown. So I need a driver. And what happens, as is typical in Mexico, if/when I get there, the usual SNSFU occurs?  I have to come back to Chapala and start as Square One?

Better to "donate" $200.00 to the cop stopping me.

Station is open in Ocotlan as well. Easy drive  no traffic nightmares

8 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Station is open in Ocotlan as well. Easy drive  no traffic nightmares

Do you have the address for the Ocotlan station?

5 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Take a deep breath people. No fines until JULY 2022. Plenty of time for them to set up more testing stations. No reason to think they won't set one up somewhere in Lakeside within the next 6 months. Jeeez

Like the optimism !  but I doubt it

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, ea93105 said:

I finally got a smog check on a vehicle I'm trying to get Jalisco plates for and when I gave the certificate to Luis at Spencer's office he said that soon smog checks will be required twice per year ! Just passing on what he told me and if true it will be a major PIA considering the millions of vehicles all needing to get smog checks at very few locations. It took months to get my appointment. What is the official ticket amount for not having up to date smog again ?

Smog checks are once yearly for private vehicles, twice annually for intensive-use commercial vehicles, which include taxis, Ubers, trucks and those types.  https://noticias.autocosmos.com.mx/2021/08/04/ahora-todos-los-autos-en-jalisco-verifican-esto-es-todo-lo-que-debes-de-saber

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jrod said:

Smog checks are once yearly for private vehicles, twice annually for intensive-use commercial vehicles, which include taxis, Ubers, trucks and those types.  https://noticias.autocosmos.com.mx/2021/08/04/ahora-todos-los-autos-en-jalisco-verifican-esto-es-todo-lo-que-debes-de-saber

Thanks for the info.  Ok, yes my van will require checks twice per year, which is 4 times more often than California would require, ridiculous imo.

9 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

We had our 2016 vehicle  done a few weeks  ago  it is a pretty  serious  test much more than just a smog test. Our car passed  but many , many will not. I can't  see how the jalisco  government  can get up and running with so many vehicles  in jalisco 

"but many , many will not"

understatement of the day....they put cars on rollers while testing.

Here are the parameters, maximum permissible limits. The source, below, also quotes the applicable laws. The verificación responsable site recommends that you take your vehicle for standard maintenance, including optimal tire pressure etc, prior to going for your inspection.  I went a few months ago (Guadalajara) and the newly-constructed stations are spotless and the process (and bathrooms) impressive. There's a nice waiting area but, due to Covid protocols, only one person per vehicle is supposed to enter at a time, although nobody stopped us as we had scheduled an early am appt. We arrived about an hour early, and they willingly took us ahead of our appointment time.

https://verificacionresponsable.jalisco.gob.mx/que-es-verificacion/   Here, at the bottom, you can find two tables that detail which 14 items are inspected visually (left table) and the emissions items checked (right table). I itemized the latter, below and, from the second source (autocosmos.com) listed the maximum permissible limits.

https://noticias.autocosmos.com.mx/2021/08/04/ahora-todos-los-autos-en-jalisco-verifican-esto-es-todo-lo-que-debes-de-saber

Año - modelo vehicular 1990 y anteriores 1991 y posteriores

Hidrocarburos (HC hppm) Máx. 350 100

Monóxido de Carbono (CO % vol.) Máx. 2,5 1,0

Oxígeno (O2 % vol.) Máx. 2,0 2,0

Óxidos de Nitrógeno (NOx ppm) Máx. 2 500 1 500

Dilución (CO + CO2 % vol.) Máx. 16,5 Mín. 13 Máx. 16,5 Mín. 13

Factor Lambda 1,05 1,05

• Thanks 1