Chapala.com Webboard

Sweet Onions

rafterbr

I enjoy onions with most of my meals.  Here in Mexico all the onions I buy are hot.  Does anyone know where I can buy sweet ones.  In Oklahoma I buy Peruvian onions which I understand are the vidalia onion from Georgia planted in Peru.  It is not quite as sweet as the vidalia from Georgia but it is more firm and is just right for my test buds.  I also buy sweet Mexican onions in Oklahoma but I have not seen them here.  They are not as sweet as the Peruvian onion but not bad.

2 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Pancho's has regular ol' yellow onions labeled "sweet onions" at 3x the price of white onions.

Yellow onions are generally sweeter than white ones. If your budget does not allow for buying onions at whatever price then you probably shouldn't be buying onions period.  Most people wouldn't care if the price was 20 or 60 pesos/kilo since how much can you spend on onions?

I'm from onion growing country and what I've learned in Mexico is that the brown skinned or what we called dry onions are cooking onions because they have more flavor.  The while onions are used generally raw because they are milder; same with red onions.  Sometimes the white onions can be eaten like an apple (similar to a Vidalia).  But white and red onions are not consistent in flavor.  If they are older they are generally hotter, ie, more flavor.  It's a crap shoot when you buy them.

We used to frequent the old El Sarape restaurant when we had our BnB in Ajijic as it was just a block above us and we liked the owner, Marco, and his food. I once asked him how you can tell if an onion will be strong or mild. He smiled and said the only thing he thought was relevant was the shape. He said the perfectly round onions tended to be stronger than the ones that are more elliptical. I gave it a try and unfortunately it didn't seem to be the case for me. Here in the RGV the yellow, or brown if you prefer, onions are definitely less strong than the whites. I don't use the purple so can't comment on them. YMMV

I ke a dish called pissaladiere from southern France .. it is a typpe of onionpie with bñack olives and anchovies and you have to ccok the onions slowly and to have swert onions and caramelize yoy have to buy  the brown ones  like a kilo or more of them and cook them until they are reduced.. so yes people who know how tl cook may use a lot of onions and they are not cheap at pancho.. I buy them at Torito

Our english pickled onions using the large root balls of the green onion looking variety turned out to be pretty good. The onion is crunchier, but that couldbe a first time cooking error.

One I have never tried are the wild "ramps" of the U.S. - they have fights in the stores when they start to show up. The main source is on native owned land. So it is a nice gig for the locals. They have never found a way to commercially produce ramps.

Also, interesting, a sweet onion has as much sugar content as an apple.