Chapala.com Webboard

Propane Generator Suppliers

Hi All,

Curious to know if anyone can recommend a retailer of propane generators. We're curious what's available for a home backup solution, so the thing would have to be quite powerful. I'm very new at delving into this, so grateful for any info. Also, if the supplier can do repairs on the unit should it need any, that would be a big plus.

😊 Peter

Can answer your question but....  sounds like you might be asking about a 'whole house' backup generator and yes it would have to be very large and costly. No more than the power generally is out most places Lakeside these days one *could* consider a smaller unit that would be tied into just a few critical house circuits.... like the frigerator some lights and anything else one might consider to be crucial.  In any respect circuits can't just be double wired into your generator AND CFE but will require a cutover/isolation switch to prevent those *sources*  from interfering with each other once power came back on and your generator was running.

Home Depot in the US carries a Champion Brand DualFuel generator 3500Watts or large, some with electric start for around $1,000.

If you have solar power, you can also have back up batteries as part of the system. There are so few electrical outages these days that I don't even bother. If the OP is going to be living in a rural area then some kind of back up would be prudent. 

When we lived on the coast, we had a gas Honda 2000i (the i stands for inverter which means clean power that can be used to power senstive electronics). In the summer, during hurricane season, the power was often turned off as a precaution. Everything just took it's turn getting juiced up from the generator. 1) the water pump for two showers and dishes 2) the refrigerator 3) the pool pump and 4) two fans and the computer. This worked fine for six years until we sold the house. Not everything has to be on at the same time.

Edited to add: You may find this thread of interest... Propane Generator (insidelakeside.com)

And make sure you have a tinaco as well as an aljibe. There are a lot of things I can do without in a power failure. Water is not one of them.

I love rabbit holes. Came across this article and got excited about the last one on the list... The 7 Best Propane Generators in 2021 (Including Best Dual Fuel Generators for Gas and Propane) (thomasnet.com)

Or, if a small Honda is more to your liking... Does Honda Make a Propane Generator? - Drivin' & Vibin' (drivinvibin.com)

BTW, we bought our Honda EU2000i (gasoline) at the Honda Motorcycle shop in San Miguel de Allende in 2005.

1 hour ago, timjwilson said:

I tried buying the Duromax but unfortunately Mexico customs won't let it in through Amazon, a common story with many of these models.

https://www.wwwilliams.com/location/guadalajara-mexico/

https://www.pioneercriticalpower.com/service_area/guadalajara-mx

For many years, both in Ajijic and in PV, we used Estefeta to have things delivered. They never once said no to anything and to say the least, we had some "unusual" items delivered that supposedly were no go items. We ran everything through Estefeta USA in Houston. Our contact there was Mariana and she provided great response time and cost estimates. They only use ground shipping and send numerous containers through Laredo daily. We got everything to Mariana in Houston, she would consolidate it if necessary and get it on their truck to Laredo. One day per week it was free to Laredo or you could pay extra if in a hurry. Never had a lost shipment nor damage or theft. Never an "extra" charge, whatever she quoted that was it. Don't know how they can do it but of course I have my guess but don't care. I would give them 5 Stars for sure.

We have a Briggs & Stratton propane generator, model 310000. This was installed in November 2012 and money well spent. Like a solar system, it has paid for itself over time. When the grid goes down the generator will kick in within a matter of seconds. It provides power to the entire house and shuts down around 30 seconds after power from the grid returns. All electrical appliances such as televisons, freezer, fridge freezer and computers run as normal. The generator is serviced twice a year and we use a qualified Briggs & Stratton mechanic, based in Guadalajara. His name is Daniel Rodante, Cell: 33 1862 3086. He does not speak English but could point you in the right direction. In fact, he is due to service the unit early in January 2022. Good luck.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

If you have solar power, you can also have back up batteries as part of the system

Yes, just keep in mind that a hybrid inverter or other type that works "off grid" is required; standard grid-tied inverters are designed to shut down when there is no grid reference as a global standard safety feature.         Anyone contemplating a new system or in need of an upgrade can place a hybrid inverter to start with and choose to add the batteries later if they prefer, and this way, they do have the capacity / ability to go "off grid" or at least run the essential loads of the home if CFE is not there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love my battery backup power system. It is so designed that I have a light or two in every room, and that my TV and computer have power and of course the refrigerator/freezer.  Luckily, living on a steep hill my upper aljiba or large water tank, is mostly underground, but still about two stories higher than the house. So, I do not need a pressurized water system for the house. And I have more than enough solar panels to take care of most all of my electrical needs.

• Like 1