Chapala.com Webboard

iLox to Totalplay

catbird

iLox cut me off last weekend so I had Totalplay installed. I'm very happy I did. Everything is better. It's faster smoother and the wireless performance is amazing. With iLox I had to use an outboard router to have any performance. The Totalplay is faster without the router. Much faster. It's just an overall better experience. I'm glad iLox cut me off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catbird said:

iLox cut me off last weekend so I had Totalplay installed. I'm very happy I did. Everything is better. It's faster smoother and the wireless performance is amazing. With iLox I had to use an outboard router to have any performance. The Totalplay is faster without the router. Much faster. It's just an overall better experience. I'm glad iLox cut me off.

You say "The Totalplay is faster without the router" . Do you mean direct to your desktop? I think that you would need their router for other devices such as  a cell phone and TV Firestick. Not sure what an outboard router is. Not at all a tech guy but maybe some clarity here? Gracias

OK Mr. Hombre. What catbird is saying is this....

Previously had ILOX. With their well known poor quality WIFI modem...(there is no discussion about being direct wired to a computer)... they had to add a Router to the ILOX modem and then got decent WIFI from the Router's WIFI.

After ditching ILOX and installing Totalplay, Totalplay's modem's WIFI speed alone is so good that they now don't have to use their own router to achieve very good, faster and smooth speeds.

One needs no other equipment to use a Fire stick.

I haven't got a clue what your "cellphone" comment is about as a cellphone has nothing to do with Totalplay nor ILOX.

BTW... I deleted my "Sad thingy"  on your Post as they seem to bother you a lot....

1 hour ago, RickS said:

OK Mr. Hombre. What catbird is saying is this....

Previously had ILOX. With their well known poor quality WIFI modem...(there is no discussion about being direct wired to a computer)... they had to add a Router to the ILOX modem and then got decent WIFI from the Router's WIFI.

After ditching ILOX and installing Totalplay, Totalplay's modem's WIFI speed alone is so good that they now don't have to use their own router to achieve very good, smooth speeds.

One needs no other equipment to use a Fire stick.

I haven't got a clue what your "cellphone" comment is about as a cellphone has nothing to do with Totalplay nor ILOX.

BTW... I deleted my "Sad thingy" as they seem to bother you a lot....

Exactly! Thank you Rick. I now have a good TP Link 6000 available for someone who needs it. By the way, I have a Firestick but I use an Apple TV for streaming.

12 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It sounds good, just remember it first sounded good with ILOX too.  Let's hope this is the one that finally brings decent internet service to Lakeside.

Those of you that have it, please continue to post reports, good and bad.  It is much appreciated.

Instead of waiting and chiming in on every TotalPlay thread, why don't you just install Totalplay, run it concurrently with your existing service for 3-6 months and then make a decision .  For god's sake, it's only about a $100 US investment.  Put your big boy pants on and live dangerously.  

I've had ILOX for 2 years and it's been great.  I get between 440Mbps - 470Mbps download speeds and 75Mbps upload speed for a little over $1000 pesos per month.  Which, by the way, is about $500 pesos less than the similar TotalPlay package.  I realize there's been a lot of negative reviews concerning ILOX, but for me (and 7 or 8 friends who have ILOX) the service has been fantastic.  Plus, if you have your CC on file at ILOX, you don't have to worry about billing issues, and they give you faster download speeds for the same price.

And for the people who claim that TotalPlay is "smoother" than ILOX, I would be curious to know if they have ever run a traceroute program such as PingPlotter.  It will tell you where packet loss is occuring and you can send the results to ILOX support.   https://www.pingplotter.com/download

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, All Day said:

Instead of waiting and chiming in on every TotalPlay thread, why don't you just install Totalplay, run it concurrently with your existing service for 3-6 months and then make a decision .  For god's sake, it's only about a $100 US investment.  Put your big boy pants on and live dangerously.  

I've had ILOX for 2 years and it's been great.  I get between 440Mbps - 470Mbps download speeds and 75Mbps upload speed for a little over $1000 pesos per month.  Which, by the way, is about $500 pesos less than the similar TotalPlay package.  I realize there's been a lot of negative reviews concerning ILOX, but for me (and 7 or 8 friends who have ILOX) the service has been fantastic.  Plus, if you have your CC on file at ILOX, you don't have to worry about billing issues, and they give you faster download speeds for the same price.

I too was happy with ILox but when they cut me off it motivated me to try Totalplay. It wasn't entirely iLox's fault. My autopay credit card expired and so there you go. The other businesses with auto pay notified me and I corrected it. I'm glad it worked out this way because Totalplay is a much better internet experience.

1 hour ago, All Day said:

And for the people who claim that TotalPlay is "smoother" than ILOX, I would be curious to know if they have ever run a traceroute program such as PingPlotter.  It will tell you where packet loss is occuring and you can send the results to ILOX support.   https://www.pingplotter.com/download

I have found it often is a bad idea to be an early adopter.  As you note, there have been many negative reports with ILox.  I'm glad your experience is positive but you seem to be in the minority.

Not sure why the tone of your post is so defensive and personal.  Are you reacting to all those negative reports?  If your experience is good that should suffice for you.

I will continue to follow the reports on TotalPlay for a while and see if the positive reports continue or, as it seems the case with ILox, the negative reports increase with time.

I actually started one of those TotalPlay threads specifically to encourage the new users to share their experiences here.  That is called "initiating" not "waiting."  :D 

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have found it often is a bad idea to be an early adopter.  As you note, there have been many negative reports with ILox.  I'm glad your experience is positive but you seem to be in the minority.

Not sure why the tone of your post is so defensive and personal.  Are you reacting to all those negative reports?  If your experience is good that should suffice for you.

I will continue to follow the reports on TotalPlay for a while and see if the positive reports continue or, as it seems the case with ILox, the negative reports increase with time.

I actually started one of those TotalPlay threads specifically to encourage the new users to share their experiences here.  That is called "initiating" not "waiting."  :D 

Are you using Telmex?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK I had ILOX (350) and Totalplay (100) and ran streaming audio 24 hours a day.   ILOX would go out 8 times an hours on average.  Totalplay maybe 4 times a day. Totalplay phone works,  ILOX never did work. ILOX only worked with Clear Choice streaming provider, Total play works with all of them. I have since dropped ILOX as it is not needed and go with only Totalplay.  Same exact problems with neighbors ILOX.  They went to Totalplay.  Glad someone has had good luck with ILOX but it wasn't myself or my friends in SE SAT.

21 hours ago, All Day said:

Are you using Telmex?

For now, yes.  Not very good as you well know.  Was going to install ILOX until all the issues and complaints started surfacing.

TelMex sure doesn't go out four times a day.

I'm fairly confident I'll be around for the 6 months or so needed to see how TotalPlay pans out.  :D 

23 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

For now, yes.  Not very good as you well know.  Was going to install ILOX until all the issues and complaints started surfacing.

TelMex sure doesn't go out four times a day.

I'm fairly confident I'll be around for the 6 months or so needed to see how TotalPlay pans out.  :D 

Unless you run streaming audio or such 24 hours a day you don't know how many times a day Telmex drops out.  Some are server problems but for sure I can say Totalplay is a better product.

• Like 1

I switched from Ilox to Totalplay a couple of weeks ago; Totalplay does drop out occasionally but it seems for a much shorter period than Ilox and I have pretty much eliminated buffering while streaming by setting the buffer size to large on my streaming app. 

3 minutes ago, Out1 said:

I switched from Ilox to Totalplay a couple of weeks ago; Totalplay does drop out occasionally but it seems for a much shorter period than Ilox and I have pretty much eliminated buffering while streaming by setting the buffer size to large on my streaming app. 

For us total Tech Geeks (NOT!) por favor explain "I have pretty much eliminated buffering while streaming by setting the buffer size to large on my streaming app". Gracias

I am not an expert by any means but I have spent a lot of time experimenting with different IPTV services; reasons aren't important.

"Buffering" is when the video stream you are watching freezes for a few seconds and it can occur for many reasons but the likely cause is that the internet service download rate drops below the rate you need to play the video and this is usually only for a few seconds at a time. A buffer downloads the data stream in the background into memory while you watch the video; the amount stored can usually be selected; Tivimate has 5 settings none to very large; i am guessing that the very large setting is about 5 seconds of data stream because of the time lag when I change channels.

On Ilox I noticed 2 significant items; buffering increased as Ilox added subscribers, and buffering increased around diner time when I assumed that there were more users online and Ilox struggled with the capacity requirements.

Buffering can also occur because of a slow or intermittent server (poor IPTV service) or because you are trying to play a 4K video when your internet service is only good for standard definition (fiber optic vs Telmex wired). If you can play a 4K video on Youtube without any buffering but you get a lot of buffering streaming IPTV then the problem is likely your IPTV service not the internet service.

I have also noticed that the 50 mbps service I have at my condo in the US has zero buffering compared to frequent buffering on the 100 mbps Ilox service

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Out1 said:

I am not an expert by any means but I have spent a lot of time experimenting with different IPTV services; reasons aren't important.

"Buffering" is when the video stream you are watching freezes for a few seconds and it can occur for many reasons but the likely cause is that the internet service download rate drops below the rate you need to play the video and this is usually only for a few seconds at a time. A buffer downloads the data stream in the background into memory while you watch the video; the amount stored can usually be selected; Tivimate has 5 settings none to very large; i am guessing that the very large setting is about 5 seconds of data stream because of the time lag when I change channels.

On Ilox I noticed 2 significant items; buffering increased as Ilox added subscribers, and buffering increased around diner time when I assumed that there were more users online and Ilox struggled with the capacity requirements.

Buffering can also occur because of a slow or intermittent server (poor IPTV service) or because you are trying to play a 4K video when your internet service is only good for standard definition (fiber optic vs Telmex wired). If you can play a 4K video on Youtube without any buffering but you get a lot of buffering streaming IPTV then the problem is likely your IPTV service not the internet service.

I have also noticed that the 50 mbps service I have at my condo in the US has zero buffering compared to frequent buffering on the 100 mbps Ilox service

This still does not clarify your previous statement "I have pretty much eliminated buffering while streaming by setting the buffer size to large on my streaming app". Gracias