Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

we are SOOO lucky!


happyjillin
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, mudgirl said:

My daughter has 4 ft. of snow on Vancouver Island.

WHERE on the island? Above or below Courtney???  Thinking of friends family from Duncan south.

For those who don't know, Vancouver Island is the best and mildest weather in all of Canada..... usually

21 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Edmonton weather forecast for Sunday. High -25C,low -36C with chance of flurries. [-40C=-40F]

Almost all of Alberta forecast wind chills of -40-50C for most of this WEEK.  🥶🥶🥶       (Alberta is directly above Montana...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are more than lucky. This year, there has been only one really cloudy day in the entire month of December (so far). Not so lucky in Canada and keep in mind that these temperatures are in Celsius not Fahrenheit....

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canada-records-temperature-below-51-022425414.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ferret said:

We are more than lucky. This year, there has been only one really cloudy day in the entire month of December (so far). Not so lucky in Canada and keep in mind that these temperatures are in Celsius not Fahrenheit....

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canada-records-temperature-below-51-022425414.html

 

Overall though it does feel like we've had more cloudy weather this year and our solar power production is down from last year even though I cleaned the panels more often to keep them at top production.

With the year nearly over we will produce about 7.8 MWh as opposed to 8.15 last year.  Our highest year since installing the system was 8.22 and this year seems to mirror 2018 when we produced 7.78 MWh.  Interestingly our data shows significant dips in production in June of that year and also this one, apparently due to a lot of cloudy weather (relatively speaking, for us).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Overall though it does feel like we've had more cloudy weather this year and our solar power production is down from last year even though I cleaned the panels more often to keep them at top production.

With the year nearly over we will produce about 7.8 MWh as opposed to 8.15 last year.  Our highest year since installing the system was 8.22 and this year seems to mirror 2018 when we produced 7.78 MWh.  Interestingly our data shows significant dips in production in June of that year and also this one, apparently due to a lot of cloudy weather (relatively speaking, for us).

 

And of course the panels drop in efficiency year over year.

I wish CFE would be required to show me my accumulated megawatts. Then I wouldn't feel so guilty about using their grid for only 25 pesos a month.

SunFan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SunFan said:

And of course the panels drop in efficiency year over year.

I wish CFE would be required to show me my accumulated megawatts. Then I wouldn't feel so guilty about using their grid for only 25 pesos a month.

SunFan

They are a little over 3 years old.  Any drop in efficiency this soon will be minor.

Agree about CFE.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Overall though it does feel like we've had more cloudy weather this year and our solar power production is down from last year even though I cleaned the panels more often to keep them at top production.

With the year nearly over we will produce about 7.8 MWh as opposed to 8.15 last year.  Our highest year since installing the system was 8.22 and this year seems to mirror 2018 when we produced 7.78 MWh.  Interestingly our data shows significant dips in production in June of that year and also this one, apparently due to a lot of cloudy weather (relatively speaking, for us).

 

Just curious, are you really talking about Mega Watts ? (one Mega Watt is one million Watts so its seems like a lot to me.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Just curious, are you really talking about Mega Watts ? (one Mega Watt is one million Watts so its seems like a lot to me.)

Yup...megawatts. Photovoltaic and solar water heating here at Lakeside are a gift if you can afford the one-time upfront costs.

I haven't paid anymore than the 25 pesos a month for electricity in the ten years since I got many panels. That includes a swimming pool and a pressure system.

Five years ago during a kitchen renovation I switched to electric appliances. Now I use my heritage large propane tank to run my BBQ. I fill the propane tank each December whether I need to or not.

SunFan (and now my moniker makes even more sense)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. He's really talking Mega Watts. I have a small system with only five panels (rated at 350 watts per hour in perfect conditions). The system went in around the third week in February of 2018 and haven't paid more than 25 pesos a month (aka service charge) since ... this is the summary for the November 2021 report...

energy_independance
Year-to-date production
2.54 MWh
10.2 MWh
Lifetime production
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the ballpark math for those interested:    A 2 kW size system (say 4 x 500 watt panels or equivalent) is rated to produce about 10 kWh per day, on a year round avg basis.    

So that is 600 kWh per 2 month CFE billing period, or 3600 kWh per year, and 3600 kWh = 3.6 MWh.

As for the CFE credits, if you have a solar account, any credits you have are good on a 12 month rolling basis, and should be shown in the green info box on the back of the CFE bill; they are called "bolsa de energia" there.    Some bills show it, others do not......    Or just drop in at the CFE office and ask for the current credit and past 12 month breakdown of credits & use of them.    

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

As for the CFE credits, if you have a solar account, any credits you have are good on a 12 month rolling basis, and should be shown in the green info box on the back of the CFE bill; they are called "bolsa de energia" there.    Some bills show it, others do not......    Or just drop in at the CFE office and ask for the current credit and past 12 month breakdown of credits & use of them.    

12 month only rolling credits? I no longer feel guilty about using the CFE grid for only 25 pesos a month. I'm touched I'm supporting AMLO's energy initiatives.

SunFan

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...