Chapala.com Webboard

Next Section of the PV Cuota Opens

Don't get too excited.

On the 22nd a 15km section of the Las Varas - PV cuota opened. The two towns mentioned in the press releases are El Tonino and El Monteón. The northern entrance is near the Costa Canuva resort bypassing La Peñita, Los Ayala and dumping back out on Hwy 200 near El Monteón. 

This will save a little time for those driving to PV as it bypasses the traffic and lights in La Peñita and Guayabitos. Fifteen km at 110km+/hr is a lot faster than stop and go.

The toll is 60 pesos. 

The latest new completion date is 2023. What is actually going to be completed is still a mystery.

25 minutes wheels up to wheels down on a plane and you avoid those pesky drivers who just have to pass the car in front of them regardless if it's safe to do so. That's why God invented planes. Feliz Navidad!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

This new section could save a fair amount of time for those heading to PV. Instead of the traffic plus 6 traffic lights there will be a 15km wide open stretch with little traffic and no lights. 

Yes, but the stretch between Sayulita and PV is being worked on and traffic can be seriously backed up there. 

I doubt that it'll be done in 2023 at the rate they're going.

They've been working on it for about 3 years now and it mostly looks like they just move dirt and rocks  around from one place to another.😜

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

Luxury coaches like ETN are also an enjoyable and safe way to go from Guad to PV, 

Normally, yes. But I wouldn't call a 5 hour bus ride in the middle of a pandemic, sitting next to possibly unvaccinated people wearing flimsy masks or wearing a mask under their nose or down around their chin to be "safe" in the least.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Normally, yes. But I wouldn't call a 5 hour bus ride in the middle of a pandemic, sitting next to possibly unvaccinated people wearing flimsy masks or wearing a mask under their nose or down around their chin to be "safe" in the least.

Vaxed or Unvaxed makes no difference in being able to transmit the virus. Lots of breakthrough infections and asymptomatic people so if you REALLY don't want to be exposed you must stay away from everybody, not just the unvaxed. We all have choices to make.

Don't be daft. There is a huge difference. Masks and social distance of a metre in length are needed in addition to vaccination. The idea is not to get it and not to pass it on. A bus or an airplane do not meet those standards of distance and especially not if people don't wear their masks properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More importantly, since for the most part those improperly made and worn face diapers don't do squat, your time of exposure when riding in a plane or bus is much more important as has been known for quite some time.

Not to mention all the crazy people flying these days.  We'll stick to the car for the time being.  Really, when you factor in all the extra time one must allow to fly these days, you may as well drive from here to PV.

https://www.studyfinds.org/face-masks-wont-stop-covid-indoors/

Researchers from the University of Waterloo simulated a person breathing in a large room with a cloth face mask on. Despite wearing a mask, the study finds a large buildup of aerosol droplets suspended in the air. Besides raising awareness on the vulnerability of certain face masks, these findings also emphasize the need for proper ventilation indoors. More ventilation means less of a chance for potentially viral aerosols to linger around.

“There is no question it is beneficial to wear any face covering, both for protection in close proximity and at a distance in a room,” says study leader Serhiy Yarusevych, a professor of mechanical and mechatronics engineering, in a university release. “However, there is a very serious difference in the effectiveness of different masks when it comes to controlling aerosols.”

Studies continue to show that aerosols exhaled by infected individuals can indeed infect others with COVID-19, even if someone is standing more than six feet away.

Here's the reality which you can verify just looking around:  Far and away most of the face masking out there fit this description"

Why do most face masks fail to offer adequate protection?

Researchers theorize many people wear masks that don’t fit their face properly. As a result, many cloth and surgical masks only filter about 10 percent of exhaled aerosols. The rest make their way past the mask, most through the top, and spread into the surrounding environment. Conversely, higher-quality, more expensive N95 and KN95 masks filter over 50 percent of all aerosol droplets.

One might wonder, however, if the last sentence somewhat negates the claim beginning with "There is no question..."  Given the relatively high contagion of covid, particularly the last two varieties, it is hard for me to visualize how anything that allows half the aerosols to spread is really worth the trouble and expense.

There is an article linked within the above article which is interesting. Which Mask Is Best For Keeping COVID-19 Away? New Research Says Use Cotton Cloth - Study Finds

A single cotton layer doesn't do much but make it double or triple and of certain kinds of cotton and the difference is remarkable. My cotton masks are three layer.

33 minutes ago, Ferret said:

There is an article linked within the above article which is interesting. Which Mask Is Best For Keeping COVID-19 Away? New Research Says Use Cotton Cloth - Study Finds

A single cotton layer doesn't do much but make it double or triple and of certain kinds of cotton and the difference is remarkable. My cotton masks are three layer.

The masks I made myself are tightly woven cotton on the outside, and a double woven blackout fabric on the inside. They also fit well with no gaps. 

I held that blackout fabric under a running faucet and the water just sat in it, draining really slowly. I figure those masks are pretty darn good protection.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Given the relatively high contagion of covid, particularly the last two varieties, it is hard for me to visualize how anything that allows half the aerosols to spread is really worth the trouble and expense.

What trouble and expense? There's nothing expensive about a washable, reusable mask, nor does wearing one classify as "trouble".

And as you don't seem to be aware, viral load is a factor in contagion. Blocking out even 50% of aerosols is a whole lot better than blocking none at all.

• Like 1