Chapala.com Webboard

Naturalization process reopens

Travelero

According to the D.O.F. this tramite is once again available.

I see a few changes. The new process requires three appointments:

1. Primera cita to deliver copies of your passport and INM card, and other documents. This allows them to check if you meet basic requirements.
  2. Segunda cita to give your biometric data (probably fingerprints) and show the originals.
  3. Tercera cita to attempt the exams on Mexican history and the Spanish language.

Only two attempts are allowed for the exams. After that, your naturalization application is cancelled and you have to wait 3 months to start over.

Unless I've misinterpreted this, it looks really sub-optimal assuming the history/culture exam is difficult. Everyone's time is wasted if the applicant makes it to the exams and then cannot pass. Edited to add that is for naturalization by residency.

Other than right to vote, what are the advantages of acquiring MXN citizenship (dual to US in my case)?  

What are disadvantages?  My research shows one major disadvantage is requirement to file and pay MXN income taxes, and yes I know I can claim credit on US income tax.  

• Like 1

One advantage might be they can't change the rules regarding residency permits. Remember when FM2's could drive foreign plated cars? Seems about every 5-6 years my foreign friends tell me that the requirements and rules change. 

As to Mexican Income taxes you must pay those as a resident Temporal or Permanente if the money is earned in Mexico. 

It is my understanding that, as a citizen of Mexico, you are taxed on your world wide income not just money earned in Mexico. Yes, it all probably works out in the end BUT the nightmare of having to do two income tax returns is one I can live without.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

It is my understanding that, as a citizen of Mexico, you are taxed on your world wide income not just money earned in Mexico. Yes, it all probably works out in the end BUT the nightmare of having to do two income tax returns is one I can live without.

Yes world-wide income if citizen. 

It's bad enough I have to deal with IRS, don't want to also deal with Hacienda!

Again, the q.--- other than voting rights, what is the upside for dual Mexican citizenship for an American?

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Yes world-wide income if citizen. 

It's bad enough I have to deal with IRS, don't want to also deal with Hacienda!

Again, the q.--- other than voting rights, what is the upside for dual Mexican citizenship for an American?

Again  A new administration can change residency rules as they have done many times over the years. Example permanente can not drive foreign plated vehicle. 

Also some countries that require a paid visa for USA passports do not have a visa fee for Mexican Passports. 

• Thanks 1

Permanente (which was Inmigrado before that ) has NEVER been allowed a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico... at least in the last twenty-five years. And my Canadian passport gets me just about anywhere I'd want to go. You're batting a big zero Mostlylost in reasons to become a Mexican Citizen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Other than thinking that Mexico would somehow change the current laws in a negative way for permanent residents (not in Mexico's best interest), one thing you can do as a citizen is own land along the coast in your name, rather than having to have a bank trust.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

One advantage might be they can't change the rules regarding residency permits.

That's one reason we changed 2006-2007 (several month process).  At the time there was a LOT of anti-immigrant noise in U.S. (as we know now, but not then, what else is new?) re: agriculture workers etc. "taking U.S. jobs".... like Americans WANTED those jobs.....🤪 

Anyway we had decided we didn't want to return to Canada and feared that if Mexico took enough offence, THEY might retaliate and say "all foreigners OUT!!"........ and we'd have no recourse even if being painted with an unjust brush.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Permanente (which was Inmigrado before that ) .....

Gee, my recollection is that FM3 was like Temporal and FM2 was like Permanente.  You had to go one step further to be Immigrado and had no voting rights, some expanded right,  but even more travel restrictions etc. than FM2. Not how you remember it amiga?

I think you misunderstood Natasha. Permanente NOW = Inmigrado THEN. It used to be FM3 (for five years but had to be renewed every year) then FM2 (for five years but had to be renewed every year) then Inmigrado. imho, Mexico has made it more difficult and lost revenue in the process.

You could have a foreign car until you got to the Inmigrado stage. 

Travel restrictions under the FM3 and the FM2 but there were no travel restrictions (and still aren't) with Inmigrado. I have an Inmigrado card.

No one mentions the 50% discount on yearly taxes if you are a senior Mexican citizen but it can add up if you have expensive property. No one mentions the ease of selling a home or land if you are a citizen and the way your Mexican friends react to your choosing to be a Mexican citizen. A Mexican passport can easily exceed the power of a USA passport in some countries as well.

• Thanks 2

On 12/24/2021 at 6:30 AM, Fred Habacht said:

........ and the way your Mexican friends react to your choosing to be a Mexican citizen.

Way to late in giving you a big thumbs up amigo.  Yes the change in attitude once any Mexican --- friend or stranger--- sees my IFE is like the whole room  is ablaze with light!  Eyes sparkle, big smile appears, and in cases of "officialdom" difficulties melt away...... or are no longer impossible. And many of my neighbours, introducing me to a new friend/family in the 'hood, proudly tells them I am "one of them". 🥰

There used to be (now?) only one requirement that, if a person isn't a criminal type, meant nothing. We had to revoke our rights to yell  "help" from Canadian Consulate in case of being caught doing anything illegal  while on Mexican soil. Only seems fair to me.