Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy pork belly

Karina G

Hannah has managed to find what she thinks are excellent beef prime rib roasts. We are leaning towards the vegetable and whole grains pole, so I have not tried her offerings.

Pork is the most reliable meat in this country. Her Blade Steaks from heritage breed hogs are excellent and clean.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, CHILLIN said:

Now I have a new one. Have found the perfect, Char Sui BBQ pork strips recipe from Australian blogger, Nagi, Recipe Eats. She pestered her local Chinese butcher as to the best pork cut to use. The reveal was Scotch Fillet Pork. Hannah is out of town until next year. It looks to me like pork tenderloin with all the fat and meat which surrounds it. Very popular on Aussie Barbies. Anyone bought this? What did they call it in Spanish?

I am getting a custom hanger rack fabricated to hang Char Sui strips over charcoal. It might vertically rotate, might not. The fat , smoke dripping on the coals not only adds flavor but also keeps the flies away and the customers coming in. Maybe eventually a mobile cart, selling Chinese BBQ strips and sausages and duck and - whatever.

Chillin, if you get the Char Siu happening, I'll be your first customer - just let me know! I've made it here from lomo de cerdo and pierna (more fat) - got a recipe I was really happy with from https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-bbq-pork-cha-siu/. You might want to compare it to your recipe. Took me years to find one I liked. 

There was a take-out joint in Edmonton that did nothing but Chinese BBQ-to-go, and they did ham sausage the same way - absolutely phenomenal! Missed them desperately all these years in Mex; it was a weekly stop.