Chapala.com Webboard

Vicente Fernandez

mhn237

I heard about it on my local Seattle and Vancouver TV stations and on several other national US and Canadian stations viewable on Shaw Direct lakeside. They also covered his son and I believe grandson who are also entertainers (to include singing in the same style of Senor (to include~) Fernandez.

2 hours ago, mhn237 said:

I'm surprised there's been no mention of  the passing of Vicente Fernandez.  An icon and lived just down the highway.  RIP senor Fernandez

If you watched Guad Channel 4 ( Spanish) like I do every day, you would have seen it almost non-stop from the hospital  at 6:15 a.m. passing last Saturday morning,, the hearse arriving to get him, the funeral home, the hearse leaving the home shortly after, the trip to the ranch, the 35,000 fans who  showed up to pay their respects by noon the next day (casket was in the arena and fans could come all night... and they did)..... and so on and so on. Sunday was almost funny----- poor reporters and TV staff were forced to bounce back and forth between Mass for Virgin of Guadalupe Day and the Vicente story. TV staff stretched to the live with live reporting at all 4 locations.

Full mass was broadcast live on Monday afternoon.  Pretty much the talk of every entertainment section of each news broadcast until yesterday. Again, the Atlas  national championship win had to compete with Vicente.

Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden among those who sent condolences.  Venezuela and Spain had long televised tributes. Pro sports game (NFL? NBA?) in Los Angeles had a big thing in the lit-up section hanging over the centre of the stadium. People arrived from all over Mexico as well   as U.S. and other countries in amazingly short order. U.S. newspapers called him "the Sinatra of Mexico".

So no... I would not say it went unnoticed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mhn237 said:

I'm surprised there's been no mention of  the passing of Vicente Fernandez.  An icon and lived just down the highway.  RIP senor Fernandez

It was on all the stations almost 24-7  Also announced on all the major channels in the USA  If you drove by the stadium you would have known for sure. His mass in GDL was beautiful, and the church was open 24 hours for the people to pay their respects.