Chapala.com Webboard

How much are you giving to the basuleros for season gift?

bdmowers

Last year they reminded me that they normally do not take garden waste (grass and small trimmings in large plastic bags) and this is a large property, so I upped to $500 and they have been taking everything I put out since. Yesterday I caught them outside and handed them an envelope with the same amount and they seemed happy. Good for another year!!!

4 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

In order to not confuse non-Spanish speakers who might try to translate "basulero", a garbage collector or trash man as we used to call them is a basurero. 

We put $400 in their envelope and we regularly run smaller propinas out throughout the year, along with coco sueros, the favorite among all of our workers.

Sorry I must of just skipped your correction.  😄

I won't give them much this year as service has been very sporactic and unreliable. We never know what day they are coming. But on hot days I give them cold drinks.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Yo1 said:

And how is sporadic service their fault?

It is not their fault but their bosses. Hopefully they will put pressure on their bosses if they receive nothing.

We live in a Mexican neighborhood, I would be embarrassed to give them 800 or 1000 pesos when most of our neighbors give them a 2L bottle of soda.  Sorry but it just feeds a stereotype that I don’t want to foster.  We do give money in the envelope along with a little gift bag of cookies or candies or some kind of treat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Why do you think they would do that, and not just think that you're a cheap-@ss gringo?  

It doesn't matter if they think I am a cheap ###. Garbage pickup is very sporatic in the west end and should not be rewarded. I often give the car washers at Walmart cold drinks. I never use their services but they keep an eye on my vehicle.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Yo1 said:

And how is sporadic service their fault?

It isn't my fault. Maybe the workers can force collection to work better-like servicing their vehicles so there won't be so many breakdowns. Why tip for bad service? I have paid a lot of taxes in Mexico-I should get some basice servives for that