Chapala.com Webboard

Stun Gun or Taser for home protection...legality and comments?

A good fire extinguisher will spray them with chemical powder and you can be a good distance off and in the end hit them with it if they want more

• Like 3

From what I am learning here, I am leaning toward the stun gun approach. I do not want a guy attached to a wire withering around on my floor...I just want him out of here!!! My question: is there a stun gun that is effective within a short distanced, say 10 feet? Most reports I see here refer to "touch" stun guns and no way would I want to be near enough to touch the guy. Is there such a devise? And also just to be clear, I still feel very safe here, in fact much safer than parts of Southern California that I lived in many years ago where I certainly would not like to be now with all the troubles they are currently going through!!! VIVA LAKESIDE!

• Like 1

We don't have anything in our home worth a physical confrontation with a man (or more likely men) 40 years younger than us.  

Past instances of home invasion (very very rare here, can't even remember last one) have involved more than one robber; how many of us are still able to fend off multiple persons at one time??  It's never a good idea to start a fight you aren't sure you can win. 

You don't know if they're armed with knives, guns or their own tasers, or how many there are in your house.  So you spray/tase/ or otherwise momentarily slow down Guy #1....you think Guy #2 is gonna like that??  Even if it's just one guy---you spray him with wasp spray or stun him for a few minutes--think the Chapala Police will arrive in 2 minutes?? What do you do when he comes to on your floor; he's going to be in a really bad mood!  Are you prepared to beat someone to death while you wait on the Police to arrive (keep in mind the Ajijic sub-station closes at 7PM). 

Once they are in your home, let them have whatever they want.  

Frankly most burglaries here are committed in daytimes, mostly petty crimes of opportunity when they know the house is empty.  Best advice is to secure access to break-ins.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Resistance is likely to get you killed. Unless you are sitting with your weapon locked and loaded, aimed at the door, and are agile and alert, you may be "toast" anyway.  Just comply, and avoid looking at their faces intently. Your life may only be worth 'nada', in their eyes, if they think you may be able to identify them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Past instances of home invasion (very very rare here, can't even remember last one) have involved more than one robber; how many of us are still able to fend off multiple persons at one time??  It's never a good idea to start a fight you aren't sure you can win. 

Exactly. There were a couple of home invasions here in Sayulita a few years ago, I know both of the victims. It was the same guys who did both invasions and there were 3 of them. Both invasions were not likely random. Both were business owners who the thieves probably figured had plenty of cash on the premises. 

In the first one, they actually tied her up. They had knives, might have had a gun. Took cash and made her hand over the car keys, and stole her car.

Second case, he and his girlfriend were watching the Oscars, the door was ajar, and they burst in with  knives and rope. The gal was quick thinking and surreptitiously pulled her phone off the coffee table with her foot that had been resting there and kicked it under the couch. Then she told the theives that they had friends coming over to watch the show with them in 5 minutes, they had kids- please don't tie us up, we don't want the kids to see that, just take what you want and get out. Which they did.

Got caught a few weeks later, stupidly driving the stolen car around.

44 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Hero non-lethal pistol

Hero

Or just buy a paintball pistol and keep a bag of paintballs in the freezer.  One hit with a frozen paintball is a forever cherished memory.  Like getting hit by a flying rock at 200 mph.

Where can you buy the Hero here and how much? Again just want to get the guy(s) to take off like scared rabbits!!!

I think paintball guns are available here.  You can buy .68 cal paintballs packed with pepper spray or tear gas on Amazon.  Or a paintball shop in Guad may have resources.  If you sprayed 200 frozen .68 cal paintballs at someone in a 60 second burst I doubt if they are going to hang around long.  

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

When you decide to resist, remember that a friend and her partner in La Floresta were killed when they fought back during a home invasion a number of years ago.

Well; at least they died on their feet and not on their knees--If anybody wants to take me out;  my goal will be to take as many of them with me--!!--and we will settle our scores in HELL--HA

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

When you decide to resist, remember that a friend and her partner in La Floresta were killed when they fought back during a home invasion a number of years ago.

They would have been killed anyway--since the perps were willing to kill in the first  place--My constitution is I will fight to the death and take as many as I can with me-I'm not built for liberal B.S..---HA

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Resistance is likely to get you killed. Unless you are sitting with your weapon locked and loaded, aimed at the door, and are agile and alert, you may be "toast" anyway.  Just comply, and avoid looking at their faces intently. Your life may only be worth 'nada', in their eyes, if they think you may be able to identify them.

How about having a friend that does not bark- a pitbull for example--He or she will fight to the death for their --Mexicans are deathly afraid of dogs--

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I knew that couple quite well. They were my neighbors here is lower SAT for a number of years before they bought the home in La Floresta. I understand that some workers nearby saw the box of thier new large screen TV for trash pickup and thought they would help themselves to it and broke in not knowing that they were home. Once they (2 brothers I think) saw they were identified proceeded to kill them. They were caught and confessed and am sure now enjoying thier time in one of Mexico's cushy prisons. Very nice couple and a great tragedy. Maybe they fought back after they were attacked, however the  robbers were not armed...maybe a stun gun could have saved them.

41qnDRGPbrL._AC_.jpg.4227db9d34098689e9a8e52d27c250b1.jpg

Hero 

Doesn't look threatening. This does. Only 19 left on Amazon.com. There were 20. Search paintball guns. Don't bother with the rubber balls or CO2 cartridge.  If the threat doesn't make them run...firing balls won't either. Ships to Mexico.