Chapala.com Webboard

Tell us about Total Play

Mainecoons

Ordered Totalplay Tuesday and arranged for installation on Thursday; they showed up Wednesday morning and said they could install right then but I had an appointment and asked them to come back Thursday as originally scheduled. The installation went very smoothly; 3 guys and the lead guy spoke english; very professional job. Ordered the 100 mbps internet only plan (200 mbps for first 2 months). I had to call customer service to activate the promotional 200 mbps for 2 months; first option on the recording was press 9 for english. 

Everything is working great; it has only been 1 day but not a single drop out causing streaming to buffer.

I am wondering if there is anyone using a DNS Proxy with Total Play.  Previously I had used a DNS-configured router connected to the modem supplied by my ISP (Wiz) and assumed that all I would have to do is plug that router into the back of the Total Play (Hwawei) modem.  It appears it is not that simple and my previous configuration no longer works with Total Play.  I am working with the company providing the DNS Proxy service for a solution, but thought I could shortcut the process by learning from people who may have had a similar experience.  Thanks in advance for any input.

A discouraging word about Total Play.  While their installation was prompt and seemingly efficient (same day!), an inspection this morning of the cable between the pole and our house revealed an extremely amateurish job.  Rather than string the cable along our side wall and partially behind some bamboo (as was the case with our existing line from Telecable (now Wiz), they chose to run it along the top of the 8-inch wide decorative cement railing surrounding our second floor patio/mirador.  I assumed they would have had better sense.  Never assume.  I plan to call them back to do the job right.  Let's see how that goes.

2 hours ago, Out1 said:

Your problem might have to do with Totalplay gives you a private IP address on their network; with Ilox I had requested and got assigned a public IP address.

Thanks. I'll relay that to my DNS proxy techs, who may have figured that out by now.  But a little more info can't hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orygun Duck said:

Thanks. I'll relay that to my DNS proxy techs, who may have figured that out by now.  But a little more info can't hurt.

Even though I have a private IP address on Totalplay's network I am still able to access my cameras, router etc from a remote location.

3 hours ago, Orygun Duck said:

We're thinking about switching from TelMex to TotalPlay too, would appreciate what you find out as we might have the same issue with our VPN.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

We're thinking about switching from TelMex to TotalPlay too, would appreciate what you find out as we might have the same issue with our VPN.

Will do.  Should have an answer and hopefully a solution in the next day or so.

• Like 1

You know, we almost switched to ILOX after the glowing reviews in the early going only to see the bad reports accumulate until now we see people switching from ILOX to TotalPlay.  I guess what concerns me is whether or not we'll have a repeat of that with TotalPlay once people have been connected for a while.

OTOH there seems to be no end to the slow and erratic service of TelMex.  We've only had even short periods of getting half the speed we are paying them for and now it seems we are in another protracted period of slow and intermittent service with them.

You would think being this close to GDL and having a lot of people here who will pay for and use decent internet service we would have it.

Not thus far in my experience.  Will TotalPlay finally be the provider we've all been waiting for?  Or will their service deteriorate once a fair number connect to it?

I guess we'll wait and watch a bit longer.

• Sad 1

I have TotalPlay and TelMex internet services. I use a TrendNet AC3000 Dual WAN router which means I hookup Toalplay modem to WAN Port 1 and I hookup TelMex Infinitum Modem to WAN Port 2. I have the router configured to use TotalPlay as primary and if TotalPlay goes down it automatically switches to TelMex. When Totalplay is back up it switches back to Totalplay.  

On 12/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, Mainecoons said:

You know, we almost switched to ILOX after the glowing reviews in the early going only to see the bad reports accumulate until now we see people switching from ILOX to TotalPlay.  I guess what concerns me is whether or not we'll have a repeat of that with TotalPlay once people have been connected for a while.

OTOH there seems to be no end to the slow and erratic service of TelMex.  We've only had even short periods of getting half the speed we are paying them for and now it seems we are in another protracted period of slow and intermittent service with them.

You would think being this close to GDL and having a lot of people here who will pay for and use decent internet service we would have it.

Not thus far in my experience.  Will TotalPlay finally be the provider we've all been waiting for?  Or will their service deteriorate once a fair number connect to it?

Working with my DNS Proxy provider and Total Play, it seems that the TP modem (actually referred to as a Optic Network Terminal ONT) can not be configured to accommodate a DNS proxy either because of company policy or the way they've hard-wired the configuration of the ONT.  It appears there may be away to set up a VPN on Firestick, but I'm not about to buy another piece of gear just yet.  (I would be interested in know more about this if anyone has had success with this method.)  Anyhow, I'm sticking with WIZZ (former Telecable) for now as they've proved very reliable, although not with the high speed offered by TP.

I have tested both NordVPN and StrongVPN running on my Asus router connected to the Totalplay ONT and I have also tested both NordVPN and StrongVPN running on my Firestick 4K Max connected to the Totalplay ONT or the Asus router (connected to the ONT); all work fine; no buffering while streaming 1080P high definition live TV.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, Mainecoons said:

Why wait?  It's not like you have to marry TotalPlay.  No contract.  Easy install.  If you don't like it stop paying the bill and poof! you're disconnected.  Maybe you'd be less cranky if you had better internet 😎

• Haha 9

On 12/24/2021 at 6:12 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Why wait?  It's not like you have to marry TotalPlay.  No contract.  Easy install.  If you don't like it stop paying the bill and poof! you're disconnected.  Maybe you'd be less cranky if you had better internet 😎

I can see it didn't make you any less rude.  👎

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Over at a friend's house who has ILOX last night.  They are paying for 50 Mbytes, his speed was 10.

Not too happy needless to say.

What's to keep the same thing from happening with TotalPlay?  I really think this is a fair question given the history of poor service in this area by multiple providers.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in a past life as a business ratio analyst, the problem seems to be that becoming an internet provider is not a gaurantee of high profits. Remember when Carlos Slim Helu got Telmex as a failing business, the government hoped he could turn it around. To help, they gave him an internet monopoly and long distance phone call monopoly. He turned Telmex around as a reasonable profit maker. All that happened was to attract competitors from all quarters (including outer space - satellites). These competitors and Telmex were stripped of any monopoly benefits. Losing long distance charges and only internet in town is costing Telmex billions of pesos. They are forced to cut costs of maintenance, repair and upgrades. The newcomers still have stars in their eyes, thinking of the obscene riches they are about to enjoy. It will take some time for them to learn, their expectations be should be about the same as I don't know, a dry cleaning shop.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

As someone who has spent a lot of time in a past life as a business ratio analyst, the problem seems to be that becoming an internet provider is not a gaurantee of high profits. Remember when Carlos Slim Helu got Telmex as a failing business, the government hoped he could turn it around. To help, they gave him an internet monopoly and long distance phone call monopoly. He turned Telmex around as a reasonable profit maker. All that happened was to attract competitors from all quarters (including outer space - satellites). These competitors and Telmex were stripped of any monopoly benefits. Losing long distance charges and only internet in town is costing Telmex billions of pesos. They are forced to cut costs of maintenance, repair and upgrades. The newcomers still have stars in their eyes, thinking of the obscene riches they are about to enjoy. It will take some time for them to learn, their expectations be should be about the same as I don't know, a dry cleaning shop.

Very good point you make here.  Based on what our students tell us, in GDL they seem to have mastered this situation and can deliver low price, consistent service and good reliability.  Here?  Not even close yet.

While I’d say overall our TotalPlay connection has been better than Telmex and we’re happy we switched, in the past few months we’ve noticed the connection and speed really lag during comida hours and in the evenings. It’s recently been very slow over the holidays. The installer told us we were the first on the street to get TotalPlay so the connection would be very good but will downgrade as more neighbors join.  He also added that as long as the cable which was strung 2 blocks down from the highway wasn’t snapped by a big truck, we shouldn’t have service interruptions.  That being said, we still have a Telmex connection which seems to go out more so than TotalPlay.  TotalPlay is an improvement over Telmex, at least for now.