Chapala.com Webboard

Foods that are dangerous for dogs

Agree..... but in our (and a friend's) experience with several different dogs, eating avocado never affected any of them. We rented a house for 10 years with 4 avocado trees -- 3 different varieties -- and dogs routinely ate any they could find that had fallen before we got to them. She experienced the same thing (rented when we left for another 6) .... and now lives in another house where dogs happily much.

NOT saying it can't be true most of the time.... but of all  of the above, avocados wold be the only one  I wouldn't stress over.  The rest---- absolutely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Cooked bones??? Does this mean that I have to stop gathering rib bones from gatherings of friends at Adelitas to take home to Chiquita Banana, El Duke and Kuka Loca??? Por favor!!!

NO cooked bones. Period. Cooked bones cannot be digested the way raw bones can. They can also splinter and tear the digestive system. 

Well, I never gave my dog cooked bones, but free to roam around my countryside neighborhood (almost all the neighbors have dogs and no one puts out poison), she and the other dogs had the schedule down of when most consruction workers leave the job. The dogs go check out the lunch garbage the workers leave strewn around, which inevitably included chicken bones. So me not giving her cooked bones was sort of an exercise in futility.

And although I'd always heard that chocolate was poisonous to dogs, my adult daughter once forgetfully left a huge box of very expensive chocolate truffles she had been gifted by a client on her coffee table and went off to work, leaving their two labs inside. She came home that afternoon to the entire box demolished, the truffle papers all over the living room, and the dogs laying around looking a bit green around the gills, but it didn't seem to cause any long lasting effects.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:58 PM, gringohombre said:

Cooked bones??? Does this mean that I have to stop gathering rib bones from gatherings of friends at Adelitas to take home to Chiquita Banana, El Duke and Kuka Loca??? Por favor!!!

Actually, I was told by our vet many moons ago, (I was in HS at the time), that rib bones are very bad as they splinter and can cause internal punctures. If this should happen it requires surgery and can lead to death. I wont take that chance with my dogs.

• Like 1