Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of Living in Guadalajara

RickS

32 minutes ago, RickS said:

Job, access to more 'things', relatives, infrastructure, medical care, better transportation, etc etc.  The whole world is "moving to the cities".....  

Not for me nor you but obviously we are in the minority.

I wasn't speaking of the working folks.  However, we currently have pretty good access to medical care here.

It's a very interesting website that shows the cost of living in many places. I am sending it to a friend who is currently living in Australia and has to move back to the States. She lived in Mexico with her husband for many years but they always just kept renewing their FM3's and never progressed to FM2 nor Inmigrado (now Permanente). Now, as a widow, her pension will not be enough to apply for resident status in Mexico again. Yet, this is just about the only place that she can afford to live with decent weather. So sad.

This is the list they have for countries and places within those countries... Cost of Living Comparisons, 2021 data. (expatistan.com)

If I were younger I'd buy a condo there and split my time between the city and the lake.  Best of both worlds.

When we first visited Guadalajara its restaurant scene was non-existent.  Now it rivals CDMX.   

There are all ranges of eateries from food trucks to high-end places.  Other than the wine prices at the best restaurants, their food prices are reasonable given the quality and innovation of their dishes.  

I'm a local cheerleader for Ajijic restaurants, but frankly there is no place here that comes close to Alcalde, Bruna, Tukuun, Allium, to name a few.

We starting doing foodie trips to Guadalajara then Covid hit and we stopped.  Recently re-started and spent a week in October; rented a condo and used Uber (or our feet) to visit a lot of great eateries.  Hope to return for a week after the holidays.  

I live in both, Chapala has little to do midweek after 7pm whereas in Guadalajara my only problem is choosing where to eat and lobster or steak or Japanese or fusion or Italian, etc.  I can bike to my office 10 minute or 5 minute drive, little smog and live in a secure high rise.  Chapala is great for working as all is close but for museums, malls, places to eat, lots of gyms to choose from, the city offers much more but to live in both is divine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gringal said:

The question is:  Why would someone choose to live in Guadalajara when one can live for the same or less cost elsewhere with cleaner air?

Strange question. Millions of people choose to live in big polluted cities all over the world because they like big city life and all it has to offer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Strange question. Millions of people choose to live in big polluted cities all over the world because they like big city life and all it has to offer.

In my own case, I grew up in Los Angeles and spent working years in San Francisco, so my opinion is based on saturation life in big cities!😄

38 minutes ago, gringal said:

In my own case, I grew up in Los Angeles and spent working years in San Francisco, so my opinion is based on saturation life in big cities!😄

Lived and worked in DC-Metro until I retired in 2003.  Couldn't wait to get far away from the commutes, congestion--our 4 post-retirement homes have been in small US towns or a MX village. 

But the attraction of GDL's city vibe is appealing for extended visits and/or part-time living.  

As I said before, best of both worlds.  

• 2 weeks later...

True about restaurants in Guadalajara. On a family vacation in 1974, one week in Guadalajara (three weeks Puerto Vallarta) we mostly dined at El Tapatio Hotel where we were staying. On American Thanksgiving, we tried to find a restaurant in Guadalajara. All we could find was a Dennys, with a turkey special. Bland and disappointing. Now owned by Sanborns, Carlos Slim Helu. I noticed a lot of gay men there. Turns out this was a popular hookup place for gay men because it was open 24 hours and the booths were comfortable. Of course gay night clubs were illegal back then and the police were brutal.