Chapala.com Webboard

Kids in primary back to virtual learning in January

HoneyBee

Opinion: Is the case for vaccine mandates like the case for seatbelt laws? No, it’s much, much stronger - The Globe and Mail

Andrew Coyne, a respected conservative writer for The Globe & Mail, who describes himself in this article as "a crankish libertarian", nonetheless supports 100% vaccine mandates.   

It ain't a seat belt argument, folks.    It's about the good for society, the health and safety of yourself, of others, and of protecting health care workers and the health care system.    And getting back to "the old normal" sooner than later.    

"Just Do It".     

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

Opinion: Is the case for vaccine mandates like the case for seatbelt laws? No, it’s much, much stronger - The Globe and Mail

Andrew Coyne, a respected conservative writer for The Globe & Mail, who describes himself in this article as "a crankish libertarian", nonetheless supports 100% vaccine mandates.   

It ain't a seat belt argument, folks.    It's about the good for society, the health and safety of yourself, of others, and of protecting health care workers and the health care system.    And getting back to "the old normal" sooner than later.    

"Just Do It".     

Go right ahead. I've had the vaxx but we are getting in very dangerous and scary territory when we MANDATE this vaccine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

There are many mandates for the good of society at large based on current science.  Think about smoking.  You can't smoke anyplace where it might potentially harm another person.  You have the right to ignore science in your own home but not in places where the concerns of others exist.  Vaccines are a proven way to avoid many medical maladies.  Kids get vaccines to go to public school.  Soldiers get vaccines to protect the group as well as themselves.  When is the last time you heard of somebody among your acquaintances dying of diphtheria, polio, rubella, or typhoid?  It's hard to admit you're wrong and it's hard to admit that being wrong might already have hurt another person.  There are some places in the world that would love to have the "first world luxury" of even debating modern medical science. 

Just get vaccinated, wear a mask to keep your spittle from hitting others in the face, wash your hands, and stay away from large indoor crowds when possible.  You greatly reduce your chances of getting ill and, more importantly perhaps, not endangering some one else.  In the process of doing these little things, major societal issues like lock downs, supply chain shortages, and event restrictions can go away sooner.  Remember this...Trump got vaccinated and was instrumental in speeding up the development of the effective vaccines.  If you don't want to get one then somebody might make you do it anyway...for the societal good.  Just like me when I was five years old at the doctor's office...I didn't want the shot and I didn't care what disease it might prevent!  My mommy made me do it anyway because it was wise and it was the law.  I outgrew those misunderstandings.  You should too.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

And maybe Mommy can't read or is trying hard to keep her lollipops. I will say this slowly:  I. HAD. THE. SHOT. Got it? Just because I was forced to do it doesn't mean I have the arrogance to tell others to do so. We are getting into frightening times when people like you have no problem telling others what to do and using every means, both legal and questionable, to do so. You may feel righteous now, so enjoy because next time it could, and should, be you. Geezus, give it a break and move on to someone who actually wants your "guidance."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You have the right to get drunk in your own house and stumble around.  You no longer have the right to get drunk and drive.  That's because somebody made you stop doing it.  It used to just be an individual decision but yeras ago as cars got more common and faster it became a societal decision and it became a legal mandate because a drunk driver is now endangering others with his careless behavior.  I'm glad you got vaccinated but you need to understand the need to encourage everybody to get it and that might one day require a legal mandate...just like kids who go to school.  If everybody just did the right thing you wouldn't need to discuss a mandate or mask rules or lockdowns.  It is not like Nazi Germany or communist China.  It is exactly like a responsible democracy...something the US used to be. 

Ignorance is not bliss...it's just ignorant

Alan

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Virgo lady if you can't tell, nothing about this pandemic has been preventable.  And with all the health safety protocols have done absolutely nothing to stop it as it continues to surge and mutate. 

It hasn't been preventable because of people like you!!! 

If everyone got vaxed and wore masks and distanced, this would have been over a year or more ago.

Instead we have had to contend with all the ignorant deniers ,who insist that no one can tell them what to do, like obstinate children, which is why it's still around and still mutating. 

The cognitive dissonance is mind-boggling.

• Like 5

Mudgirl that is so not true.  Even if everyone wore masks and followed the government mandated protocols the virus would still have been surging and mutating.  Specially in poorer countries where populations tend to be less compliant.  If you read the news about the omicron cases in the US almost all of the infected have been vaccinated people and many claim to be fervent mask wearers.  So that just goes to disprove your theory.  Sure, the majority of those omicron cases are not serious, as of yet.  But it proves that Coronavirus can still mutate and infect people who wear masks and get vaccinated.

47 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Even if everyone wore masks and followed the government mandated protocols the virus would still have been surging and mutating.  Specially in poorer countries where populations tend to be less compliant

You say one thing and then contradict yourself. Not surprising. Compliant means compliant. If everyone in every country was compliant, the virus would have no one left to infect. It doesn't just hang around being viable- it spreads through contagion between people.

And no, the people who claim they were compliant and still got infected weren't compliant. They let their guard down at some point, socialized with friends or family in close quarters maskless, touched their mouth or nose or eyes without washing their hands, wear an improperly fitting mask, or one that doesn't block the virus particles, something. The number of people I see constantly fiddling with their masks, using their thumb and forefinger to pull it up, touching the inside of the mask with unsterilized hands, pulling it down around their chin, then pulling it back up again,  makes it evident that tons of people can't comprehend how to keep themselves safe from something they can't actually see and have zero idea of how to use a mask properly. 

If you followed these people around all day with a video camera, you could point out to them exactly where and how they got infected.

• Sad 1

The virus can and does mutate. It tends to do that in people where it gets to spend the most time aka "Let's Party" and grow stronger in the people who are not vaccinated. Unvaccinated people shed the virus for far longer than in the vaccinated. IF more people had stepped up and gotten vaccinated, this would have happened less and less frequently.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record. There is a way to end this pandemic but not if everyone doesn't do their part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unbecoming of me? Don't be patronizing.

And trying to converse with you is pointless. Complying with regulations to control a pandemic has nothing whatsoever to do with being a perfect human 24/7. Like all the rest of you who still don't get it after almost 2 years, when the fallacy of all your arguments is pointed out, you deflect to something irrelevant. 

• Like 1

Dr. Mercola quoted by @southernguy is a quack. 

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-health-pseudoscience/upside-down-doctor

Dr. Joe Mercola, an osteopathic physician who has made an impressive fortune selling supplements through his online store, has a new book out about the COVID-19 pandemic. This book, as well as Mercola’s decades of peddling health misinformation on the Internet, exemplifies the dangerous blind spot of the wellness movement. Health gurus are not in the business of public health; they rise to fame by framing health as a personal choice and by selling immune boosters that have earned, they wrongfully claim, a scientific seal of approval.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/24/technology/joseph-mercola-coronavirus-misinformation-online.html

Dr. Mercola, 67, an osteopathic physician in Cape Coral, Fla., has long been a subject of criticism and government regulatory actions for his promotion of unproven or unapproved treatments. But most recently, he has become the chief spreader of coronavirus misinformation online, according to researchers.

An internet-savvy entrepreneur who employs dozens, Dr. Mercola has published over 600 articles on Facebook that cast doubt on Covid-19 vaccines since the pandemic began, reaching a far larger audience than other vaccine skeptics, an analysis by The New York Times found. His claims have been widely echoed on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

Some high-profile media figures have promoted skepticism of the vaccines, notably Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham of Fox News, though other Fox personalities have urged viewers to get the shots. Now, Dr. Mercola and others in the “Disinformation Dozen” are in the spotlight as vaccinations in the United States slow, just as the highly infectious Delta variant has fueled a resurgence in coronavirus cases. More than 97 percent of people hospitalized for Covid-19 are unvaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Over the last decade, Dr. Mercola has built a vast operation to push natural health cures, disseminate anti-vaccination content and profit from all of it, said researchers who have studied his network. In 2017, he filed an affidavit claiming his net worth was “in excess of $100 million.”

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

The virus can and does mutate. It tends to do that in people where it gets to spend the most time aka "Let's Party" and grow stronger in the people who are not vaccinated. Unvaccinated people shed the virus for far longer than in the vaccinated. IF more people had stepped up and gotten vaccinated, this would have happened less and less frequently.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record. There is a way to end this pandemic but not if everyone doesn't do their part.

Let's Party - the new scientific term.😎

What is killing these young and healthy athletes?

German newspaper Berliner Zeitung has published a report seeking to answer why an “unusually large number of professional and amateur soccer players have collapsed recently.”

Headlined ‘Puzzling heart diseases in football,’ the report begins by highlighting the case of FC Barcelona’s Sergio Agüero, the 33-year-old striker who recently had to be withdrawn from a match after 41 minutes suffering from dizziness and breathing difficulties.

The article lists a large number of recent cases of footballers who have had heart problems or collapsed on the field, in some cases leading to death.

That list is republished here;

null

As we previously highlighted, other professional athletes have also recently suffered similar health problems, including 24-year-old Slovak hockey player Boris Sádecký, who tragically died after collapsing on the ice during a match last Friday.

28-year-old bodybuilder Jake Kazmarek also died “unexpectedly” four days after taking the COVID jab.

The Berliner Zeitung article doesn’t speculate as to whether reactions from COVID vaccines had anything to do with the rash of collapses and heart problems.

However, it does note that “heart muscle inflammation (myocarditis)” can “already occur in the course of banal virus infections” and lead to “life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias.”

A “small number” of vaccinated people have suffered heart inflammation problems as a result of the vaccine, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

Researchers are now investigating reports that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines “are likely causing the inflammatory heart conditions myocarditis and pericarditis.”

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Anybody who knows better to trust the U.S. media or the CDC.  :D 

Or conversely,  anybody who "assumes" that all of us only read the US media. I for one read Canadian newspapers daily and WORLD news sources when so inclined. I avoid weird sites like the plague that they are. Why don't you stick to engineering periodicals which area of expertise, you are trained in. Based on you posts,I would suggest that Medical issues are beyond your ken,specifically the present pandemic. Some of us have dabbled in the Medical field and got paid to do so. Fortunately for you, your parents didn't object to you being "forced" to get the polio vaccine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2