Chapala.com Webboard

How to improve the standard of living in Mexico

lakeside7

This is a headline from a recent article in the Mexico Daily News and I am thinking about what really needs to be done to improve the standard and quality of living for Mexican's 

Do you know anyone that only gets a Minimum Wage of 142 pesos?

Business group proposes 8% increase in minimum wage

A national employers' federation wants to see minimum wage raised to 172 pesos in 2022, up from 142 pesos.

7 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Do you know anyone that only gets a Minimum Wage of 142 pesos?

Not personally, and you aren't going to find that Lakeside or any other ex-pat or touristy locations. But you can bet that's what laborers picking tomatoes in some hot dusty village off the beaten track earn.

The minimum wage from where I have lived both up north and in Europe was the minimum wage per hour. And suggesting we pay $172 pesos or more per hour is pretty good. At 21 pesos per US dollar that equates to over $8 US per hour. So I'm guessing that that maybe they are talking about per day, rather than per hour.

So are we talking ten hour days or what and how about Saturday? Something is missing here :) 

• Confused 2

Thank you for explaining  the 8 hours per day definition. I assumed but did not know whether this was the definition or not.

My full time gardener makes $2,730 pesos per week or $60.67 pesos per hour which is $485.33 per 8 hour day. 

My property manager stated that this is a normal amount to pay lakeside.