Chapala.com Webboard

Orthopedic surgeon Dr Maya

Drew

Yes, Dr. Maya replaced my husbands right hip October 2020. All went very well and it was great to have the surgery done here in Ajijic. Two months ago my best friend also had a hip replacement performed by Dr. Maya here in Ajijic. She is doing fantastic and now rarely even uses her cane. She seems to have healed faster than my husband but there is a 10 year age difference and she was in much better physical shape before the surgery. Dr. Maya is great! 

i have also heard very good things about Dr. Maya and the deals they can give you at the Ajijic Clinic, which I did not even know had a full operating room.  The woman I met who had just had surgery with him was an ER nurse and she gave him a very good rating.  I wish I had known all this before my hip surgery a few months ago!   If you need surgery, don't put it off!  I had my original hip replacement 13 years ago, and my recent operation was a "revision" which was supposed to be a smaller operation.  But my recovery was longer and harder because I'm 13 years older now, and that really does make a difference.  

17 hours ago, ezpz said:

i have also heard very good things about Dr. Maya and the deals they can give you at the Ajijic Clinic, which I did not even know had a full operating room.  The woman I met who had just had surgery with him was an ER nurse and she gave him a very good rating.  I wish I had known all this before my hip surgery a few months ago!   If you need surgery, don't put it off!  I had my original hip replacement 13 years ago, and my recent operation was a "revision" which was supposed to be a smaller operation.  But my recovery was longer and harder because I'm 13 years older now, and that really does make a difference.  

Just curious as to what a "revision" entails. I had a total hip replacement in 1992 following a car accident. Obviously I have been very careful with it e.i stopped all sports activities (tennis, windsurfing and skiing). But I figure that at some point in time it may wear out. 

20 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Just curious as to what a "revision" entails. I had a total hip replacement in 1992 following a car accident. Obviously I have been very careful with it e.i stopped all sports activities (tennis, windsurfing and skiing). But I figure that at some point in time it may wear out. 

"Revion" is what they call it in Spanish.  That means a couple of new parts - the ball and the socket, without replacing the protesis that goes into your femur and hip bone.  A hip replacement is said to last 15-20 years depending on how active you are.  I was quite active and so wore mine out faster.  No matter what you paid, the materials start to grind eachother  and minute particles get into your bloodstream and hip bone.  An XRay showed that there was damage to the bone around the protesis, and it was expected that that would stop with the new parts.  That is why I'm now trying to get a bone scan on that area.  My doctor recommends average walking at this point. 

47 minutes ago, ezpz said:

"Revion" is what they call it in Spanish.  That means a couple of new parts - the ball and the socket, without replacing the protesis that goes into your femur and hip bone.  A hip replacement is said to last 15-20 years depending on how active you are.  I was quite active and so wore mine out faster.  No matter what you paid, the materials start to grind eachother  and minute particles get into your bloodstream and hip bone.  An XRay showed that there was damage to the bone around the protesis, and it was expected that that would stop with the new parts.  That is why I'm now trying to get a bone scan on that area.  My doctor recommends average walking at this point. 

Thanks. I guess I should have bought some spare parts since next year it will be 30 years old. ☺️

• Haha 1