Chapala.com Webboard

Possible illegal construction on mountain. Who to contact?

ibarra

15 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Is it the Chapala extension of the U of Guad.  It's supposed to be up there somewhere.

We live in Brisas de Chapala (are directly across the arroyo from this construction and look at it all of the time) and did some research about the location of the University last year.  It is to be located much farther to the left (as you are looking at the new work).  The ceremony for the University was held in another location away from the area that I am talking about.  Photos show that ceremony took place in a location different than what I am talking about.

22 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

That's been going on for quite a while now and it's clear they're getting ready to lots ready to build.  What indication do you have that it's illegal? Looks no less legal than any of the other development going on lakeside.

This construction started about a week ago.  What "has been going on" earlier was the road that was constructed to be used for the University. 

Usually there are signs advertising for "legal" construction , especially if they are going to try and sell lots.  This work is being done at odd hours, some in the dark and simply looks haphazard.    We know that other proposed developments lakeside have been shut down because of the location they are trying to build and not having permits.  I simply wanted to know where to go to check for permits.  The name of the department would be helpful.

I don’t know if this will help but in the past,  the office of transparency in the Chapala municipal building has been very helpful providing information about permits. I suspect there is a new director with the change in administration.

There’ still probably no English available so a translator might be needed. I had to make a request for information, give it to the director and in a week or so was provided the what I requested. This office is separate from the one that actually issues permits on the lower level as you enter the building. They were less than cooperative when seeking information.

Unless the office moved, walk straight to the stairs after entering the municipal building and go up to the second floor. Go right to the railing and another right. The office is located at the end of that short hall on the right hand side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though approved construction might be a ways away from what's going on it might be supporting construction to help prevent runoff from wiping others houses out when runoff gets heavy during rains. California is an example of throwing housing or other major building up setting up large areas that don't absorb but increase runoff then flood places downstream. Even though the construction might setup later residential of commercial it might be good. At least check to make sure water runoff has been considered. If construction increased only after the rains it's a clue as to either runoff was considered during construction and good or bad later.

• Confused 1