Chapala.com Webboard

Google message to my Gmail account

Natasha

Hi tech friends.... me again. Nov 19  email received "from Google" in my gmail inbox. Said  effective Nov 25 google would require 2-step verification (involves code sent to cell phone). Research revealed the possibility of turning this option off once one was signed up. Did invite initiating this new process early (I did not --- nor did I want it at all).

I found it odd they would do this mid-week ......   and not being American didn't immediately connect that date to U.S. Thanksgiving. Connection??? Coincidence ???

Nevertheless, it's now Nov 27 and nothing has happened so spidey sense is on alert.  Anybody more knowledgeable in these things than I (means almost everybody) have comments?  Gracias

44 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Hi tech friends.... me again. Nov 19  email received "from Google" in my gmail inbox. Said  effective Nov 25 google would require 2-step verification (involves code sent to cell phone). Research revealed the possibility of turning this option off once one was signed up. Did invite initiating this new process early (I did not --- nor did I want it at all).

I found it odd they would do this mid-week ......   and not being American didn't immediately connect that date to U.S. Thanksgiving. Connection??? Coincidence ???

Nevertheless, it's now Nov 27 and nothing has happened so spidey sense is on alert.  Anybody more knowledgeable in these things than I (means almost everybody) have comments?  Gracias

Most likely it will be sent by Google yes. I have several accounts and one by one they are getting this 2step authentication. As it is sent completely random by computer to each account they don't look at those dates like thanksgiving or Christmas. Some accounts I have already have 2 step, others not yet. 2step isn't that much of a hassle, it is only used when you need to login again on a new device or when you are logged out on your current device. And basically requieres to click yes/accept on a already logged in device like your phone to login on a new device. Otherwise you won't notice any difference and does give extra security.

But do check when you start the process setting up 2step if the domain is google.com or gmail.com or other google related domain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DuckieHoomever said:

Google did recently switch the default to 2-factor verification (which I hate), but it's fairly easy to go into your account settings and turn it off again.

That's my plan. ALmost never have cell phone on, and certainly not first thing in a.m. when I read my first mail of the day.  So yes, I'll be turning it OFF.

(Bad enough I have to use cell to get into MercadoLibre  to purchase things.... but at least there  $$ involved so I get the reason)

• 2 weeks later...

You absolutely want 2FA (2-factor authentication) on your Google account. It's only a momentary inconvenience, since once you login 2fa-style on your phone (or an instance of Google Chrome on, say, a laptop) you can choose not to be challenged again on that device.

2FA is the easiest meaningful step you can take toward securing an important account and there's really no excuse for not using it. Where a password is "something you know," 2FA also requires "something you have," typically your phone. It's not enough for a bad actor to steal your password. They must also steal your phone.

Now, the ability to set up 2FA one-and-done for your Google account on a particular device has nothing to do with other provider's security requirements. Your bank will have its own policies, for instance.

All of the settings for your Google account can be manipulated here: https://myaccount.google.com/

HTH,

LQ

ps. Yes, I work at Google.

5 minutes ago, Lou Quillio said:

You absolutely want 2FA (2-factor authentication) on your Google account. It's only a momentary inconvenience, since once you login 2fa-style on your phone (or an instance of Google Chrome on, say, a laptop) you can choose not to be challenged again on that device.

2FA is the easiest meaningful step you can take toward securing an important account and there's really no excuse for not using it. Where a password is "something you know," 2FA also requires "something you have," typically your phone. It's not enough for a bad actor to steal your password. They must also steal your phone.

Now, the ability to set up 2FA one-and-done for your Google account on a particular device has nothing to do with other provider's security requirements. Your bank will have its own policies, for instance.

All of the settings for your Google account can be manipulated here: https://myaccount.google.com/

HTH,

LQ

ps. Yes, I work at Google.

What he/she said!