Chapala.com Webboard

changing from temporal to permanente

telcoman

OK I am  getting conflicting info. I just got my temporal in Melaque, Jal. I have heard i can change that to permanente using the 500 x UMA formula for financials at any time. The INM lady here indicated otherwise. I would like to do it and get it over with. I do have a Canadian car here, but i also heard I can get a 5 or 6 day SAT permission to get it out. Does anyone know? I don't mind using someone to expedite this like Spencer. I could also do it when I re-enter Mexico in October before the 1 year on the temporal expires. Would prefer to do it on my way out in late March.

Why wouldn't you keep your Temp. Resid. visa for the year, and then renew it for 3 more years.  That way you can keep and drive your Canadian car here  After the 4 yr. resident visa runs out... apply for a permanente at that point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oatsie said:

Why wouldn't you keep your Temp. Resid. visa for the year, and then renew it for 3 more years.  That way you can keep and drive your Canadian car here  After the 4 yr. resident visa runs out... apply for a permanente at that point.

2 reasons, the car is going back to canada in April and not coming back, I am buying a mexican car. Right now I am returning to canada in summer, my parents are 95.  I had temporal but got blindsided when I could not get back due to covid and had to start over. That is why i just want to go permanente and get it done with.

Owning a Mexican car with a Temporal is no problem.

If you just run the Temporal for 4 years total, the Permanente is routine with no financials.  Your next renewal could be for three years, unlikely you wouldn't be able to return in that time.

However if you can qualify for the financials for sure, it may make sense to get it over with once and for all.

I think INM here has the final say so, so if they are telling you the 500 x UMA won't work, that is probably correct.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

If you just run the Temporal for 4 years total, the Permanente is routine with no financials.  Your next renewal could be for three years, unlikely you wouldn't be able to return in that time.

However if you can qualify for the financials for sure, it may make sense to get it over with once and for all.

I think INM here has the final say so, so if they are telling you the 500 x UMA won't work, that is probably correct.

Dan, wasn't INM in Chapala, it is in Melaque, a small office. 2 immigration people, Spencer in Chapala and Sonia in SMA told me about the 500 x UMA thing. Having been burned once when I could not get back due to Covid, I don't want it to happen again in these uncertain days. Not ready to move here full time until my aged parents are gone and don't want to find myself unable to meet financials later on. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, Mainecoons said:

This indicates you can do it:

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/cambio-de-residente-temporal-a-residente-permanente/INM823

On 11/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, Mainecoons said: