Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting Stats...

Jim Bowie

Given the reported heavy use of drugs by Californians, it should come as no surprise to anyone that narcos and narco crime concentrate along this part of the border.  In general, the high level of crime along the border with the U.S. is certainly no surprise to anyone on either side.  

I'm not sure of the relevance to us here.  It seems to me what is of greater concern is the #1 Narco gang in Mexico is based only 35 klicks away in GDL.  I am referring of course to the CJNG.  The government has been even less effective in curbing them than they were Sinaloa.

The appetite of Americans AND Canadians for illegal drugs has been a curse for all of Latin America.  This rampant drug use in the "developed" world has become a world wide bane and epidemic.  It is a very graphic indicator of how far social decline has progressed.  And I can assure you we have more than a few local expats participating by buying drugs from criminals.

I'll leave it to Mod 5 to decide what to do here.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Forum heading is "Mexico General".  The OP is related to that category.  Doesn't have to be "lakeside" related.  If you aren't interested, or, think it isn't relevant, don't read it.

EXACTLY !!! 

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

,....The appetite of Americans AND Canadians for illegal drugs has been a curse for all of Latin America.  This rampant drug use in the "developed" world has become a world wide bane and epidemic.  It is a very graphic indicator of how far social decline has progressed.  And I can assure you we have more than a few local expats participating by buying drugs from criminals.

Well said, but I would refer to it as poor drug policies NOB, for making it such a curse.

Oxy, isn't from Latin America and neither is the demand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whipstock said:

Well said, but I would refer to it as poor drug policies NOB, for making it such a curse.

Oxy, isn't from Latin America and neither is the demand.

Pervasive drug advertising in the media can't help this situation IMO.  Creates an impression that everything can be fixed by popping a pill or taking a shot.

I've never gotten use to the explosion of drug abuse in my lifetime.  This can't end well.

40 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I've never gotten use to the explosion of drug abuse in my lifetime.  This can't end well.

There were plenty of laudenum, heroin, and other drug addicts before your lifetime. And Coca-cola used to contain cocaine.

The "war on drugs" will never succeed because it is a natural human drive to alter one's consciousness. You even see this with little kids when they spin around so they get dizzy. Most cultures have had plants, alcoholic concoctions, etc. that people used to get high or to enter some altered state. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

There were plenty of laudenum, heroin, and other drug addicts before your lifetime. And Coca-cola used to contain cocaine.

The "war on drugs" will never succeed because it is a natural human drive to alter one's consciousness. You even see this with little kids when they spin around so they get dizzy. Most cultures have had plants, alcoholic concoctions, etc. that people used to get high or to enter some altered state. 

Really?  Than how do you explain this?  It would seem logical the more drug use the more drug deaths.

These Charts Show Just How Bad America's Heroin Problem Has Become | HuffPost

And for prescription drugs:

CDC Grand Rounds: Prescription Drug Overdoses — a U.S. Epidemic

I agree with you on the rest.  But the truth is drug use of all kinds has exploded in the last 50 years.  As I wrote, this isn't going to end well.

• Thanks 1

Well, you can blame the pharmaceutical companies and the medical profession for over-prescribing legal drugs. It seems like every American I know has a whole barrage of pharmaceuticals they take. If you mention to someone that you're stressed out about something, they right away say, "Oh, you want a Xanax?"

And as far as the skyrocketing drug overdoses, some of the street drugs that are being manufactured now are really bad news, for sure. 

But there are a lot of factors involved. Poverty, lack of education, lack of responsible parenting, lack of affordable housing, lack of mental health services, sexual abuse, domestic violence, etc, all lead to a state of affairs where people cope by trying to obliterate their pain and consciousness with drugs and alcohol. 

When the "moral majority" wrings its hands over legalization of some drugs, they are showing a total lack of understanding about the issue.

If they legalized heroin tomorrow, how many people do you think would say "Oh, goody, I always wanted to be a junkie. Nodding out, emaciated, in a doorway in a filthy alley looks like such a cool lifestyle."? 

Getting a handle on the drug problem will never be accomplished by trying to eliminate the production and distribution. The underlying causes of why people end up addicted and ODing is what needs to be addressed.

20 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

But there are a lot of factors involved. Poverty, lack of education, lack of responsible parenting, lack of affordable housing, lack of mental health services, sexual abuse, domestic violence, etc, all lead to a state of affairs where people cope by trying to obliterate their pain and consciousness with drugs and alcohol. 

All of this was true 50 years ago.  It has all just gotten much worse except for poverty in the U.S.  There is cultural decay driving this as well.  50 years ago an entertainer bragging about drug use would have been shut down in short order.  Now they openly parade it and write "music" about how great it is.

As I noted, we agree the war on drugs is a flop.  It's a great little racket for government though, got to give them credit for that.  :D 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Well, you can blame the pharmaceutical companies and the medical profession for over-prescribing legal drugs. It seems like every American I know has a whole barrage of pharmaceuticals they take. If you mention to someone that you're stressed out about something, they right away say, "Oh, you want a Xanax?"

And as far as the skyrocketing drug overdoses, some of the street drugs that are being manufactured now are really bad news, for sure. 

When the "moral majority" wrings its hands over legalization of some drugs, they are showing a total lack of understanding about the issue.

If they legalized heroin tomorrow, how many people do you think would say "Oh, goody, I always wanted to be a junkie. Nodding out, emaciated, in a doorway in a filthy alley looks like such a cool lifestyle."? 

Getting a handle on the drug problem will never be accomplished by trying to eliminate the production and distribution. The underlying causes of why people end up addicted and ODing is what needs to be addressed.

"But there are a lot of factors involved. Poverty, lack of education, lack of responsible parenting, lack of affordable housing, lack of mental health services, sexual abuse, domestic violence, etc, all lead to a state of affairs where people cope by trying to obliterate their pain and consciousness with drugs and alcohol."

Why try to make excuses??? It all boils down to: LACK OF SELF CONTROL!!! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Wrong. You really have a hard time understanding things, don't you? Or do you now have a degree in psychology? 

No I do not, however I have a hard time understanding why some try to place the blame for EVERYTHING on  reasons other than individual RESPONSOBILITY!!! In my humble opinion this just encourages others to NOT make the right choices....

35 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

No I do not, however I have a hard time understanding why some try to place the blame for EVERYTHING on  reasons other than individual RESPONSOBILITY!!! In my humble opinion this just encourages others to NOT make the right choices....

What is so hard to understand about some people not having the upbringing, the education, the mental or emotional capacity, or the opportunities to be capable  of making the "right" choices? 

A lot of the young girls on the street who end up being trafficked, getting addicted to drugs, and ODing come from horrible family situations where they were sexually abused for most of their lives. They had no one to get them out of that situation, they often weren't believed, or were punished for daring to say that daddy was sexually abusing them, they had nowhere to go for help. They are not equipped, mentally or emotionally, to look after themselves safely. 

It's easy to sit there at your computer, in your comfy house, a glass of wine at hand and say that everyone should practice personal responsibility, as if it's just that simple. It isn't.

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Did you ever think these drug deaths are suicides caused by this covid b.s. ruining people lives ?

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

What is so hard to understand about some people not having the upbringing, the education, the mental or emotional capacity, or the opportunities to be capable  of making the "right" choices? 

A lot of the young girls on the street who end up being trafficked, getting addicted to drugs, and ODing come from horrible family situations where they were sexually abused for most of their lives. They had no one to get them out of that situation, they often weren't believed, or were punished for daring to say that daddy was sexually abusing them, they had nowhere to go for help. They are not equipped, mentally or emotionally, to look after themselves safely. 

It's easy to sit there at your computer, in your comfy house, a glass of wine at hand and say that everyone should practice personal responsibility, as if it's just that simple. It isn't.

Boy; mud; you covered all the basis--maybe you should run for Queen of the world--signed ; just a troll--HA

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Correct !  I'm responsible !!--no jab for me ! I have a family to support--HA