Chapala.com Webboard

Car/motorcycle wreck on carretera in Ajijc

Mainecoons

Driving a 2 wheeled bicycle or motorcycle is not the same as driving a car, even if only because it's been shown that other drivers do not recognize them as they do other vehicles ....  have to be doubly alert to not being seen when riding any kind of bike ... https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180105082243.htm

According to human factors/ergonomics researchers Kristen Pammer, Stephanie Sabadas, and Stephanie Lentern, LBFTS crashes are particularly troublesome because, despite clear conditions and the lack of other hazards or distractions, drivers will look in the direction of the oncoming motorcycle -- and in some cases appear to look directly at the motorcycle -- but still pull out into its path 

2 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

If the motorcyclists would follow the rules of the road these accidents would not be so commonplace. One wonders how many actually have a license or know enough traffic laws to pass the test.

If the police here would enforce the traffic laws with motorcycles and scooters it would save lives, but there is no personal profit in citing poor scooter riders so too many of them get killed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seren said:

Driving a 2 wheeled bicycle or motorcycle is not the same as driving a car, even if only because it's been shown that other drivers do not recognize them as they do other vehicles ....  have to be doubly alert to not being seen when riding any kind of bike ... https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180105082243.htm

According to human factors/ergonomics researchers Kristen Pammer, Stephanie Sabadas, and Stephanie Lentern, LBFTS crashes are particularly troublesome because, despite clear conditions and the lack of other hazards or distractions, drivers will look in the direction of the oncoming motorcycle -- and in some cases appear to look directly at the motorcycle -- but still pull out into its path 

The footprint of an approaching moto is much smaller than a car so the brain of the car driver perceives that the oncoming moto is much farther away than the moto actually is.  So left turn into the path of the moto and crash.  I dunno, but that was from a neurologist.

18 hours ago, happyjillin said:

You don't turn a moto by "steering,you do it by leaning and my front drum brake on my '53 beezer worked just fine. Hardly ever used the rear break  but instant down gear and front break did the trick if needed quick stop. Wouldn't want to see you on a moto thanks.

south shore for vampiros.jpg

Actually it is much safer to use countersteering than to lean.   Look it up.   I learned it at motorcycle riding school.   Leaning is much much slower way to steer.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Actually it is much safer to use countersteering than to lean.   Look it up.   I learned it at motorcycle riding school.   Leaning is much much slower way to steer.

You should ask for your money back.There are a few of us on this board that ride and I would suggest that like me they would never want to ride with a dangerous guy like you. You do not steer while riding even at lower speed unless yer only doing about 3mph to get around or avoid something.  but you do so only if you have  side car or a trike because you can't lean . Please never get on a moto here. I don't need to look anything up because unlike you I have experience including over 10 years riding right here. These Jalisco transitos were the Mexican national acrobatic champs and you know more than them?????

pedro kertesz

01 acrobatic transitos y pedro 023.jpg

01 national champion transito acrobats,guadalajara 021.jpg

36 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Let me just say that if you and your pillion?  rider do not mean over to the direction of your turn , your not going to negotiate that turn

• Thanks 1

What Is Countersteering? ... Simply, countersteering is pressing FORWARD on the handlebar in the direction you want to go above roughly 12mph. If you want to go right, press forward on the right handlebar to go right. We press on the handlebar to cause the motorcycle to lean in the direction we want to go.

Is counter steering Safe?

While it takes practice to get right, the benefits of counter-steering are massive. When done correctly, it results in smoother, safer, faster riding. Many riders use counter-steering without realizing it, but they may not be doing so correctly.

Pedro you could have spent five seconds reading about countersteering and admit you don't know how to countersteer.   

• Like 1

Counter steering causes the bike to lean.  Pedro most assuredly does know how to countersteer.  As noted, at very low speed you don't countersteer to turn as you can see from those pictures.  At higher speeds if you are going to turn you have to countersteer, it is not optional.

I never noticed at what speed I shift from turning to countersteering but 10-12 mph sounds about right.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Counter steering causes the bike to lean.  Pedro most assuredly does know how to countersteer.  As noted, at very low speed you don't countersteer to turn.

Than why did Pedro say I am not a safe rider?  I rode for 30 years and never went down. I was trained at a motorcycle driving school.  Defending drum brakes? 

• Like 1

I think debating the various driving issue on a Harley and the more nibble Japanese bikes is like talking about Apple's and Oranges' The local folks who are having these accidents are not riding Harleys.

I would suggest the Harley was designed and developed with riding on the Interstates and Freeways of the USA, not these two lane congested , slow moving  highways.

35 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I think debating the various driving issue on a Harley and the more nibble Japanese bikes is like talking about Apple's and Oranges' The local folks who are having these accidents are not riding Harleys.

I would suggest the Harley was designed and developed with riding on the Interstates and Freeways of the USA, not these two lane congested , slow moving  highways.

A Harley guy I know who came from Florida had to change his sprocket for riding here. You can modify any bike for where you are. Some of us know enough to do our own work. The mofos that are killing and maiming themselves are riding itty bitty bikes without looking at breakneck speeds  in high traffic areas.

beezer surgery.jpg