Chapala.com Webboard

looking for small used car

telcoman

I am in the market for a small (about the size of a honda fit) Jalisco plated car. has to be about 4 meters long to fit in a garage. Not much in the manzanillo area so I figure i will have to look in the guadalajara area. Small  Kia, nissan, chevy aveo, suzuzi swift or something like that. Willing to go to about 150 -200K pesos. Never bought a car in mexico before (I have a CURP). A boit worried about getting ripped off if i do a private deal. Can anyone recommend a dealer. No hurry, I am in mexico til april and have a canadian plated car here right now. That brings up another question if anyone knows the answer. If I become permanente before my temporal runs out,  is there a grace period to get that car out of Mexico?

I seriously doubt that there would be a grace period. If one is Permanente one is Permanente.

BUT if you get a Jalisco plated vehicle first, you could 'park' the Canadian plated Fit until you are ready to leave for Canada and THEN even as a Permanente get a Seguro Retorno (Safe Return) document from SAT that would give you 5-6 business days after procurement to legally drive it out of the country. 

S&S Auto at Lake Chapala is known for being a reliable 'dealer'.  Give them a call/email and see if they might be able to help you.

You cannot sell your "foreign car" in Mexico, but the transaction could take place in the USA, if that is where it is registered, with a safe exit permit. See Chapala Law to get details.  No, there is no grace period. Once you are Permanente, you cannot operate that vehicle in Mexico. It must be removed.

RV, the devil is in the details. (BTW, his Honda Fit is Canadian plated)

Correct, one cannot buy a foreign plated can in Mexico IF one is thinking of keeping it in Mexico without driving it to the US and then returning with their own TIP.... if that's their intent.

BUT one CAN 'sell' it to someone whose intention it is to drive the vehicle out of Mexico post haste. The 'transaction' does NOT have to be made out of Mexico... that transaction has nothing to do with the Mexican government. I can purchase a US plated vehicle while it is in Mexico and with a valid TIP... purchase meaning I give someone $'s and they give me a signed title to it. But my intentions must be to get it out of Mexico.   I've done this many many times. I'm not the only one who has done that. If it is still legal in Mexico (has a valid TIP) I just get a Power of Attorney to drive his/her TIP car out. IF it is not legal... TIP has expired or owner went Permanente.... I get a Seguro Retorno from SAT (usually with Chapala Law's help) and then drive it legally out of Mexico. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...