Chapala.com Webboard

cold!!!!!

Been here 15+ years and don't remember it ever being this cold in November. Speaking of which Canada vs. Mexico soccer in Edmonton where Mexico is going to get a rude awakening with a forecast of -13C low and snow, manana @ game time. If Canada wins,they will be in first place to qualify for Qatar ahead of Mexico and the US.

• Like 2

Last winter was the coldest I've ever experienced here on the coast. The nighttime temps went down to the mid 40'sF for almost 2 months, which is unheard of around here. No one has ever had the need for heaters here in the flat coastal areas, but last year we sure wished we had some.

While it's not cold here at night presently, it's quite cool at night for this time of year, so I won't be surprised if the winter is cold again.

Third year in a row for La Niña, a cold water condition in the eastern Pacific.  Unusual but not unprecedented.

Definitely chillier, and I can't remember a year with as much cloudiness as this one either.  Definitely affecting our solar power production.

Got the sweat shirt out early this year.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Maybe this is the next global cooling period? Did anyone advise the stuffed shirts in Scotland (who flew in on thier polluting private jets) that CLIMATE CHANGE works both ways???

I can assure you that the people who attended that conference are well aware of how climate change works. Only ignorant people think "global warming" means it's just going to get progressively hotter everywhere all year long.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Last winter was the coldest I've ever experienced here on the coast. The nighttime temps went down to the mid 40'sF for almost 2 months, which is unheard of around here. No one has ever had the need for heaters here in the flat coastal areas, but last year we sure wished we had some.

While it's not cold here at night presently, it's quite cool at night for this time of year, so I won't be surprised if the winter is cold again.

where at the coast please?

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I can assure you that the people who attended that conference are well aware of how climate change works. Only ignorant people think "global warming" means it's just going to get progressively hotter everywhere all year long.

So what is all the hoopla about??? 

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

There's only hundreds of scientific articles you could read if you actually cared to know.

Yes, and there are also hundreds with the opposite points of view by just as qualified scientists buried by FAKE NEWS !!! You can read my inciteful post regarding this in the MEXICO GENERAL section here under: Want to learn more about climate change in Mexico?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mudgirl said:

There's only hundreds of scientific articles you could read if you actually cared to know.

I hope you don't think both sides of this issue have been given anything near equal and unbiased coverage in the MSM.  It is pretty obvious those who get their "news" only from these sources are oblivious to the rather vigorous debate in scientific circles around global climate and its inevitable change, let alone what some nations can do about it while the greatest polluters roll on unchecked.

Fully three fourths of the public NOB when polled consistently place little credibility in these sources these days.  Perhaps some here might want to take note.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if the year end data confirms the feeling it has been cloudier, wetter and cooler around here than long time averages.  It sure feels that way.  

• Like 1

Go Canada! there will be 40-50,OOO people at Commonwealth stadium wearing snowmobile suits watching soccer and all of Mexico  will watch on TV in the comfort of their homes or sports bars. I am wearing my jacket this morning because it's still cold HERE. Don't you people ever lighten up? A simple post about UNUSUAL cold HERE  and an important soccer game and y'all gotta argue about global climate "scientists say" nonsense.

• Like 5

Crossed the border (permanently)  at Calexico-Mexicali 23 years ago as of this Thursday Nov. 18.  I can absolutely state weather last 5 years has gotten progressively colder, especially overnight... sometimes as much for high altitude cold AIR and winds, but also actual thermometer readings.  At the same time, last few years have had hotter weather earlier in the April -- June period. Used to be people "escaped" in May. Now......

Climate change is not just HOT. It's also FREAKY other changes. Witness most of lower British Columbia since Sunday night, where "atmospheric river" rains have flooded out whole towns, caused landslides, highway washouts, and much more---- even at high, mountainous elevations. Entire total of November annual average rainfall (1991 to present)  in one area happened in less than 48 hours, and it's still happening. This is the same area where all of August was H-O-T and fires ranged throughout for the entire month..... one town totally burned to the ground, hundreds of thousands of acres turned into  ash and cinders, and losses in the many millions.

ONLY if you're interested.... here are some video clips from different parts of the lower SE  part of the province, fr4om many different elevations.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8375787/b-c-floods-photos-videos-roads-washed-away-cars-submerged-debris/

https://globalnews.ca/news/8374573/people-trapped-vehicles-agassiz-highways-flooding/

https://globalnews.ca/news/8376358/vancouver-island-storm-malahat-closed/

https://globalnews.ca/news/8375493/runaway-barge-english-bay/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Go Canada! there will be 40-50,OOO people at Commonwealth stadium wearing snowmobile suits watching soccer and all of Mexico  will watch on TV in the comfort of their homes or sports bars. .....an important soccer game

And while I hope Canada wins,   DO have to feel for the Mexican team. Forecast says cold will be bad enough, but wind chill will make it that much worse.

• Like 1

This is not meant to be a comment on Climate Change or not, but rather how we might be visualizing it.... drawing conclusions from our 'recent' past. "Recent Past" being defined as the last 50 years.

While IMO there is proof enough that things are escalating at a rate not seen before, to judge that 'it must be because I've experienced a change myself' is not an accurate conclusion to come to. We say that 'we just broke a 50 year record with this (take your choice, hot or cold)'. But if one just looks at that statement it MUST mean that 50 years ago it was this 'bad', hot or cold. It's repeating itself but somehow we don't take it that way. We see it as a new situation.

Another factor of when we talk about how the temperature affects us.... how we personally are colder or hotter than before.... is that for the most part as we age we become less tolerant of temperature 'spreads'... we generally are less able to be comfortable at the outer boundaries of hot and cold. So we complain and "think" that it is hotter or colder. Or at least I do and my wife does. 

My whole point is that it is DATA that should be listened to, not how we/our bodies are judging it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1