Chapala.com Webboard

OK All You Gripers Out There, Here's Your Opportunity!

Bisbee Gal

And I'm certain the first two gripes will be, "But I don't use WhatsApp" and "But I don't use Facebook."  😀

For everyone else in Ajijic, this is an opportunity to contact the newly appointed Ajijic Delegado to voice any issues you may have.  

http://semanariolaguna.com/60638/?fbclid=IwAR2rILoYrzvTjM5ey1TGnrLYYfvEe2oIM26PGwhLcdVQDFo7FTKsUPQbhDk

Sofía Medeles (Ajijic, Jal.) –  A new WhatsApp number and Facebook page will be set up for Ajijic to streamline the process of complaints from the residents of the town; in addition, complaints can be made anonymously. With this system, the aim is to reach quick and individual resolutions with the complainants and the respondents.

8 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The article says until the new system is in place you can continue to phone the Delegacion's landline. 

Some people reply without ever reading what they are replying to. Tells a lot about them, no? :D

Opportunity for what?  Be ignored still?

The problem around here isn't our neighbors, it is our government that does very little outside of Chapala itself.

Sorry, years of deteriorating everything around here unless volunteers take care of the government's work ourselves has made me a bit cynical.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Some people reply without ever reading what they are replying to. Tells a lot about them, no? :D

I did read the article. Like MC,  I'm a little doubtful that things will change substantially. The many potholes couldn't be a secret from those who could do something about them...and haven't.

Is there an email in that article?  Missed it.  Phones don't work well for the hearing impaired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Facebook account my nephew put in place for me ages ago.  I never use it. Don't want to. I don't have What's app. Don't want it.  And I only occasionally buy the pricey weekly English-language newspaper (although I think it's a job well done).

I have my e-mail.  A phone.  And a subscription to my hometown newspaper online: The New York Times. Plus the online Mexico Daily News. And occasionally I risk entering into hassles on this forum. My cup overflows.

So for all you Facebook lovers and addicts, enjoy. But there's got to be a better way to access important community information.

Lexy

• Like 1

I'm halfway there...for some reason, WhatsApp doesn't bother me (translation:  I use it) but I absolutely refuse to use FaceBook...oops Metawhatever. Way, way too much info goes out and trusting Zburger to respect privacy? bwahahahahahahahahaha. No. (not knocking anyone who uses it, it's just not for me)

• Like 4

Whatsapp does not sell information. Because it is owned by Meta some information could be shared with Facebook if you have an account there.  If you have no Facebook account your information goes nowhere.

It uses end to end encryption on texts.. It allows texts, voice message, phone calls, and video calls free to any entity with Whatsapp anywhere in the world for free.   Whatsapp is used by over 2 Billon people in over 180 countries and has quickly become the first method of contact for many businesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

Unfortunately once FB bought out Whattsapp, expectations of privacy disappeared.

https://www.rt.com/news/534257-facebook-whatsapp-moderators-read-messages/

As I said unless you have a Facebook account your information goes no where. 

If Whatsapp receives a report of abusive behavior like receiving a message from someone you don't know, or threats there is a way for them to investigate it.  If you receive the same abusive messages from your cell connection you can do the same through your carrier.

I do find it interesting people worry about a messaging app, but have no problem using Google to search. Google has thousands of times more information than anyone else.

17 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

If you have no Facebook account your information goes nowhere.

This is a misleading statement... and 'under the sheets' it may not even be correct.

Whatsapp does share 'information' with other "Facebook" companies. It may or may not be what we construe to be 'our data' but there is cross-talk between platforms. Also, I for one would NEVER make the bold statement that companies like and especially Facebook don't 'use' your data in ways that we don't know and that we did NOT specifically get a change to say yea or nay about. I think that it is naive to assume otherwise just because 'they' said so.

• Like 3

I am on facebook and go there more than here[several times/day]. As well as my own page, I operate[admin] two antiques groups with +/- 4000 members between them. as well as belonging to other antiques,and several other special interest groups. Why all this fear? I instituted security functions that I am comfortable with.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

It allows texts, voice message, phone calls, and video calls free to any entity with Whatsapp anywhere in the world for free.   

Nothing is free. If you think Zuckerberg isn't getting something out of Whatsapp, and is providing it purely out of an altruistic nature to provide communication for free, you're really naive.

7 minutes ago, johanson said:

Why all the fear? gosh Pedro, if you keep on posting on Facebook, you might become an antique  yourself, and that's no fun.

:)   :) 

If I reach my ETD shortly, which is highly likely, I won't be an antique. I have no worries and will go noisily into the night.

27 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Nothing is free. If you think Zuckerberg isn't getting something out of Whatsapp, and is providing it purely out of an altruistic nature to provide communication for free, you're really naive.

So What do you think this web board gains?  You pay nothing to access it.. If you think it's free you must be truly naïve.

Meta makes it's money from targeted advertising on it's various platforms. Since Whatsapp does not display advertising how does Meta benefit?  If you use Facebook, or Snapchat then your information is shared.  If you remember at one time before Facebook bought Whattsapp they charged 99 cents uUS for a years service and were profitable so Facebook's costs are nothing to run this app. 

Again Google knows far about you and about more people than Whatsapp or Facebook will ever know. Every search you ever made, what computer-pad-phone you use, every Google Maps search, where you visited, where you ate, what route you drove to get there, what time you go to bed, what time you get up, what you like to buy and where, if you visited a doctor's office, attorneys office, etc.  Last thing I would worry about is a messaging service. Google is even tracking movements of people in cities for Covid transmission.  If you actually want to download everything Google knows about you you can but you will need to buy a huge multi terabyte storage device and tie up your computer for a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Again Google knows far about you and about more people than Whatsapp or Facebook will ever know.

I never said that wasn't true and I do use Whatsapp. I said that while Whatsapp is free to the user, you can bet that the provider is gleaning data from it.

This forum is free to use because the forum administrators are using it to attract people to their real estate business. It's an advertising venue for them. Most public forums run on that basis.

• Thanks 2

Ah ah.... 

9 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I never said that wasn't true and I do use Whatsapp. I said that while Whatsapp is free to the user, you can bet that the provider is gleaning data from it.

This forum is free to use, as are most forums, because the forum administrators are using it to attract people to their real estate business. It's an advertising venue for them.

So same as Facebook albeit on a much smaller scale. ....  And you probably are  not aware that Whatsapp has business accounts they charge for. Did you know in India Whatsapp is the primary source of contact for many small business?? Generally, the charges are between 5cents and 9cents depending on your location. WhatsApp business charges in India, for example, are not yet fixed, but they are around ₹ 5 to 6 for a single message. The bottom line is that even though you need to pay for certain services on the app, they aren’t too costly.

So it's is to Whatsapp's advantage to furnish the service free to non business users to enhance the use by business users where they profit

And I am no more naïve than you are.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

So What do you think this web board gains?  You pay nothing to access it.. If you think it's free you must be truly naïve.

Meta makes it's money from targeted advertising on it's various platforms. Since Whatsapp does not display advertising how does Meta benefit?  If you use Facebook, or Snapchat then your information is shared.  If you remember at one time before Facebook bought Whattsapp they charged 99 cents uUS for a years service and were profitable so Facebook's costs are nothing to run this app. 

Again Google knows far about you and about more people than Whatsapp or Facebook will ever know. Every search you ever made, what computer-pad-phone you use, every Google Maps search, where you visited, where you ate, what route you drove to get there, what time you go to bed, what time you get up, what you like to buy and where, if you visited a doctor's office, attorneys office, etc.  Last thing I would worry about is a messaging service. Google is even tracking movements of people in cities for Covid transmission.  If you actually want to download everything Google knows about you you can but you will need to buy a huge multi terabyte storage device and tie up your computer for a few days.

I sooooo wanted to give you a big "THANKS!" but I ran out of icons. If people only realized just how much of their information is out there and who reads it.... Big Brother is not only here, but he's been here for a lot longer than most realize.