Chapala.com Webboard

Baja Norte in Ajijic--HAS RE-OPENED at New Location

Bisbee Gal

Always good.  But this week's special of Mejillones al Vino Blanco are stellar (thru Sunday, I think).  Reminiscent of what Jardin de Ninettes served.  I counted 24 very fresh mussels.  At 140p, a great meal!  

fyi, highly recommend all their foods, especially the fried oyster tacos....mmmmm!  

Open 7 days a week, from 12 till 8.  Beer, wine and mixed drinks, some quite fancy.  

1325608863_BajaNortemenu.thumb.jpg.2b90cc1f51db00644d8f137408cc0aed.jpg

mejillones.jpg

10 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Always good.  But this week's special of Mejillones al Vino Blanco are stellar (thru Sunday, I think).  Reminiscent of what Jardin de Ninettes served.  I counted 24 very fresh mussels.  At 140p, a great meal!  

fyi, highly recommend all their foods, especially the fried oyster tacos....mmmmm!  

Open 7 days a week, from 12 till 8.  Beer, wine and mixed drinks, some quite fancy.  

1325608863_BajaNortemenu.thumb.jpg.2b90cc1f51db00644d8f137408cc0aed.jpg

mejillones.jpg

Looks tasty. Have you tried their fish and chips and do they deliver to west Chapala?

@happyjillinNever tried their Fish & Chips but have heard great things about them.  I've never used them for delivery, but have ordered for take-away and they are very responsive to Whatsapp at 332 188 7305

In fairness to them and to other eateries, IMO fried foods can really suffer when boxed up for more than a few minutes.  

FB page is here, https://www.facebook.com/BajaNorteFoodBar/

37 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@happyjillinNever tried their Fish & Chips but have heard great things about them.  I've never used them for delivery, but have ordered for take-away and they are very responsive to Whatsapp at 332 188 7305

In fairness to them and to other eateries, IMO fried foods can really suffer when boxed up for more than a few minutes.  

FB page is here, https://www.facebook.com/BajaNorteFoodBar/

Gracias por link. They only deliver in Ajijic😪. might break down one evening and go there. Are they in La Floresta just past the roundabout? Hard to tell from map.

It is directly across the carretera from Actinver. 

Coming on the carretera from the east, turn right (north) at the light at Farmacia Guadalajara and go immediately left (west) on to the gravel service road.  It is among a few food trucks with seating, along with sushi place Masayume.  

4 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The are directly across the carretera from Actinver. 

Coming on the carretera from the east, turn right at the light at Farmacia Guadalajara and go immediately left (west) on to the gravel service road.  It is among a few food trucks with seating, along with sushi place Masayume.  

Gracias!

• 2 weeks later...

fyi, Baja Norte's last day at their current location is Sunday 28 Nov.

They are moving into the old Trattoria at the southwest corner of Galeana and the carretera in Ajijic (directly across from the OXXO).  

They are currently renovating the place and expect to open in December.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Yes mostly torn down. Huge valuable corner. New building will need a major business to pay the costs.

I don't know this for a fact, but since his current site is mostly open to the elements, it could be he's not looking for 4 solid walls and roof. 

Lots of newer younger chefs and owners going in that direction.  Look at Meraki, Tabarka, Lobo de Mar, La Pacena.  These are the places serving the most innovative food right now.  They are all mostly open to the elements, and other than La Pacena, with limited roof coverings.  

Even Cocinart when they added their new patio, opted for a non-traditional roof/canopy that went up very quickly.   And Gosha's opened with no covered seating, then added a roof covering in their 2nd or 3rd year, as I recall.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, artsnob said:

You mean December 2022, it is nowhere near occupancy for months...

They remain hopeful...as do I!

¡Nos mudamos! Hoy nos despedimos este increíble spot📍y estamos nostálgicos 🥺 (aunque el nuevo spot está 🔥🔥🔥)
Hoy es nuestro último día aquí, te esperamos de 12 a 8 pm.
Y pronto te avisaremos qué día de diciembre abriremos en nuestra nueva locación: Carr. Oriente #30 Ajijic, Jalisco. (Frente al Oxxo de Ajijic)⚡️
—————
We are moving! Today we say goodbye to this incredible spot📍and we are nostalgic 🥺 (although the new spot is 🔥🔥🔥)
Today is our last day here, we see you from 12 to 8 pm.
And soon we will let you know what day of December we will open in our new location: Carr. Oriente # 30 Ajijic, Jalisco. (In front of the Oxxo de Ajijic) ⚡️
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw them moving kitchen equipment ( stoves etc ) into the new location yesterday….despite all kinds of problems they managed to make their present location a success…they obviously think outside the box so it wouldn’t surprise me to see them open early December. I too love these new style restaurants springing up all over town …I long ago grew tired of the many pseudo salmon and steak restaurants…wishing them lots of luck .

• Like 3

• Bisbee Gal changed the title to Baja Norte in Ajijic--HAS RE-OPENED at New Location
On 11/27/2021 at 3:55 PM, artsnob said:

You mean December 2022, it is nowhere near occupancy for months...

Ahhhhh.....from their FB page a few minutes ago, 

¡Estamos de regreso! Te vemos hoy de 12 a 10 pm 🤩
————
We are back! See you today from 12 to 10 pm 🤩
See Translation
266555294_433489028270764_22315763353742

265572656_433489024937431_76660834970166

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 2:11 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Isn't "en frente" better translated as "across from"?

I have seen it used before and meaning, 'facing.'   

This from a Spanish language resource website. 

Enfrente de is one of those expressions, and it is better regarded as a trickster (see Chapter 3). Think of it as a synonym for "facing" or "across the way." A fountain that is enfrente de la casa is likely to be across the street from the house. Frente a means much the same and should be viewed as just as unreliable as enfrente de in most cases. Sometimes the act of "facing" is implicit. Lo tienes frente a los ojos = "You have it in front of your eyes"--that is, "staring you in the face." De frente a, finally, states very clearly that something is "face to face," literally "with its front facing (something)." Estoy parada de frente al sol = "I'm standing facing the sun."

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 2:11 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Isn't "en frente" better translated as "across from"?

I have found that Mexicans' definition of "en frente" is quite open to interpretation. When my insurance broker's office moved and I asked them for directions to their new location, I was told it was "en frente la marina." In fact, it was a block and a half down from the marina, on the other side of the 4 lane divided hwy.